Exploit to write outside of BTSync folder

Deco

Howdy!

I went into my "RandomSecrets" folder today and found this:

GFQvfhC.png

This is definitely not one of the secrets I subscribed, and I did not create it manually.

It seems there is a way to write outside the synchronized folder. I suspect it's probably something along the lines of "..\Have you got a virus". If that's true, then they could easily install malicious software in a higher directory.

How can I help in investigating this?

It seems there is a way to write outside the synchronized folder. I suspect it's probably something along the lines of "..\Have you got a virus". If that's true, then they could easily install malicious software in a higher directory.

How can I help in investigating this?

Okay make sure it's the same as this, then you better work out if you need to raise a bug on the auto-update functionality. Did it fail or did you turn it off?

It may have been that issue.

I updated to 1.0.134 as soon as it came out.

Whether the file has been there for a while or only just appeared, I'm not sure; I only noticed it yesterday.

If it's recreated, I'll post again.

Thanks for your help.

Whether the file has been there for a while or only just appeared, I'm not sure; I only noticed it yesterday.

Well, from your screenshot, the highlighted folder appears to have been last modified on 23rd May at 03:20. BitTorrent Sync 1.0.134 was available from 15th May (via manual download/update), but was only really rolled out via auto update last week.... so it would be interesting to know when you updated to 1.0.134, and whether that was before/after May 23?