If You Have Sync Issue

kos13

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is an issue or just normal behaviour that I am finding odd.

So before I start delving into reproducing it I wanted to know if this is worth reporting.

I have three machines A,B,C. Each of the files has a Videos directory (Directory 1).

Machines A and B have some files in the Videos directory.

Some of the files may be the same.

Total size of the files 34Gb

I set the sync client on all three machines and I let it run.

A day after I decide to sync another directory between Machines B and C (Directory 2).

I set up the secret and I wait for a few hours.

Then I am surprised to see that there are no files on the second directory.

Machines A and B are ubuntu.

Machine C is a mac.

Here is what the different machines UIs say.

Machine A:

- Transfer still in progress to and from machines B and C Directory 1.

Machine B:

- Transfer still in progress to and from machines B and C Directory 1.

- Size of Directory 2 is recognised but no transfer.

Machine C:

- Directory 1: reports 30Gb

- Directory 2: reports 0

My questions are:

- Do/Can the transfers for the two directories happen in parallel?

- I re-niced the process on Machine A, old machine avoiding fan noise in my room. Would that be likely cause for the delay?

- Is it possible that because some filenames where the same on machine A and B to start with the client picks up changes in the file that it is making and re-syncs the file or part of the file?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I was looking for the source of the client so I can understand better how it all works.

Is it on github?

Kind regards.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using btsync for a week or three now, and though I turned on debugging the first day, none of my clients[1] have ever written anything to the file. Similarly, my sync.logs were expanding into the tens-of-gigabytes territory, and redo that every time I restart the client. I've moved the ubuntu version up to 134, but am waiting on the update mechanism(s) for the other two.

I love the concept and architecture, and would love to be filing more useful bug reports for my cross-platform setup, but my email server doesn't seem to like 20G attachments...

[1] Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, Mac OSX 10.6, and a Synology 413j/PPA

Not so much an issue but what are these doing in the settings file of the windows version? :)

e11search_list117:BitTorrent|http://www.bittorrent.com/search?client=%v&search=
Mininova|http://www.mininova.org/search/?cat=0&search=
e12:tracker_last86:udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce

Obviously remnants of the BitTorrent client. Anyway I think you should clean it up.

There is a serious permissions problem in the Linux ARM version (and presumably the other Linux versions).

I can see numerous other reports of the bug in these forums:

http://forum.bittorr...hl__permissions

http://forum.bittorr...mask#entry46668

Here's an example:

This is the tail end of the directory on the source machine:

-rw-r--r-- 1 geoff staff 11837948 13 Dec 13:28 16 Sweet Georgie Fame.mp3

drwxr-xr-x 18 geoff staff 612 13 Dec 13:28 .

drwxr-xr-x 4 geoff staff 136 17 Dec 00:38 ..

I have a read only sync setup to another machine, where these permissions are set:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11837948 Dec 13 05:28 16 Sweet Georgie Fame.mp3

drwxr-xr-- 3 root root 4096 May 22 07:43 ..

drwxr-xr-- 2 root root 4096 May 22 11:08 .

Forget the bit where it is running as root ... (that's my ugly hackery) ... but look at the permissions on the directories!

Yes ... the directories don't have the executable bit set.

Of course, it would be best to respect the umask I have set as a default.

All these directories become unusable to anyone but the owner (in this case root).

Of course there are other things about permissions and ownership that could be improved, but just fixing the broken umask would be appropriate as a first step!

I configured my public domain (home server) in all my shares' know hosts on every PCs.

The tricky thing is that this domain has different DNS settings in my home network (records to local IPs).

From the outside world it has a wildcard CNAME record ponting to whatever dynamic DNS service I'm using.

On my laptop this setup confuses BTSync into opening connections with the public IP and the local IP at the same time.

After sync the connection with the public IP closes. I think the control connection is opened with the local address and the transfer connection is opened with the public. For later transfers BTSync opens connections with the correct address.

Hi there.

I've an MAC OS 10.8.3

BtSync seem to be crashed if my folder (synced once but with full access) removed and add again with read-only.

I cannot get the log because there are no such place even after enable debug log...

Can help to double check where are the debug log located?

Thank You

In a debug log I'm getting this repeatedly:

[2013-05-29 22:48:15] Torrent 1532952576-11280600.jpeg status: 137 error: <NULL> meta: 1

[2013-05-29 22:48:15] Torrent 1521647616-10463714.jpeg status: 137 error: <NULL> meta: 1

[2013-05-29 22:48:15] Torrent 151289856-7304695.jpeg status: 137 error: <NULL> meta: 1

I can't get the files to transfer. The GUI shows the other computer directly connected. The debug log also shows the other system responding to ping requests. It seems like it should work ...

Any ideas?

There is a serious permissions problem in the Linux ARM version (and presumably the other Linux versions).

I can see numerous other reports of the bug in these forums:

http://forum.bittorr...mask#entry46668

Here's an example:

This is the tail end of the directory on the source machine:

-rw-r--r-- 1 geoff staff 11837948 13 Dec 13:28 16 Sweet Georgie Fame.mp3

drwxr-xr-x 18 geoff staff 612 13 Dec 13:28 .

drwxr-xr-x 4 geoff staff 136 17 Dec 00:38 ..

I have a read only sync setup to another machine, where these permissions are set:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11837948 Dec 13 05:28 16 Sweet Georgie Fame.mp3

drwxr-xr-- 3 root root 4096 May 22 07:43 ..

drwxr-xr-- 2 root root 4096 May 22 11:08 .

Forget the bit where it is running as root ... (that's my ugly hackery) ... but look at the permissions on the directories!

Yes ... the directories don't have the executable bit set.

Of course, it would be best to respect the umask I have set as a default.

All these directories become unusable to anyone but the owner (in this case root).

Of course there are other things about permissions and ownership that could be improved, but just fixing the broken umask would be appropriate as a first step!

I have a service setup to run watcher, [ https://github.com/splitbrain/Watcher ] which will watch for newly created/modified files and will change permissions to fix such issues!

would be great if permissions could be replicated as well!

Hey there.

I had the very same experience with 1.0.132, 1.0.134 and 1.1.12 all on Ubuntu 12.04.

I do not want to have btsync run as root, but I want to have it a static port below 1024, using the "listening_port" parameter in the json format config file.

As long as the binary does not have the privilege to do so ("setcap 'cap_net_bind_service=+ep' /opt/btsync/btsync"), the btsync process keeps using 100% cpu forever. No single line in the extended debug log indicates that.

It finishes indexing.

And it seems to allocate other ports instead and syncing with other hosts works just fine.

But there are two things that should be mentioned somehow:

• The ciritical one is: The process does not stop using 100% CPU.
  • The not ciritical one is: Of coures the process does not allocate the specified port.

I would expect the command line tool to completely stop working (kill) and making some execption note about not being able to open the socket inside the debug log.

Sorry again for having opened a thread for reoprting.

Kind regards,

Stephan.

100% CPU on linux usage if a file in the directory is open at the time.

mono 31983 root mem REG 8,1 16896 32671127 /var/x4b/bin/X4B.Proxy/LukeSkywalker.IPNetwork.dll
mono 31983 root mem REG 8,1 366592 32671135 /var/x4b/bin/X4B.Proxy/Newtonsoft.Json.dll
[...]
mono 31983 root mem REG 8,1 9216 32671153 /var/x4b/bin/X4B.Proxy/X4B.Proxy.exe

Attempts to syncronize this directory (Which happens to have an EXE opened with mono) results in 100% CPU usage.

strace reveals an infinite loop (most likely as a result of epoll_wait returning).

Anything going on atm? Because I cant get a connection anymore. Not even with direct IP. Not even over lan!

Debuginh only shows FFF and synclog some pinging attempts. like

Sending broadcast ping for share blablablabla....

It was working fine yesterday and the day before. Today I had trouble getting connection and now its not working anymore at all.

I got that resolved by deleting the Btsync Folder under AppData, be sure to copy your keys beforehand though.

I don't know where to post this but I'll try here.

Yesterday I started working on a text document using Pages on OSX. The latest BTSync is installed on both my desktop and laptop, both running 10.8.4.

After a while of working on my laptop I got a notification that the download of this file was completed. I was curious and pressed save, then a message in Pages popped up that another application changed the file in between.

It seems to me like BTSync downloaded while an older version from my desktop and replaced it on my laptop.

Also note that I started the document on my laptop, so at first there was no older version on the desktop. Something must have gone terribly wrong.

I have the same problem, but about 30gb of files and folders went into SyncTrash. I am syncing between (2) Win 7 Ultimate machines. I copied the files from one computer to another using a usb drive, and let BTsync update changes. I just turned on logging on one machine and will do so with the other, then email results.

florin81, did you discover what caused the files to 'self-delete?'

My problem

i have BTSync on 2 computers and 1 folder with other 7 sub-folders in it to sync.

One of the folder, named "Std", after it- sync's it delete itself in both locations.

Luckily it is in .SyncTrash and is not lost.

Guys,

The app crashes after x seconds. I am on version 1.1.12 on Linux 3.9.6-200.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I created the debug.txt file with the FFFF in it, but when the app crashes there is no debug info in the file (only the FFFF).

So when i start btsync i can open the webpage, but when i want to refresh the app is already crashed.

I already resynced the whole sync folder, with no luck...

Edit: just did a resync again (deleted te .sync folder) and everything is working fine.. but for how long.

Edit2: and now btsync is using 100% cpu...no transfers or indexing in progress

Title: Read-only folder (r/o secret) contains unnecessary files.

Description:

So I have 3 Computers (A - Win7x64, B - Win7x64 and C - WinXP)

A - contains full-access secret folder;

B and C contain read-only secret folder;

Synced folder contains about 60 files (~50Mb at all), and the folder is modified several time in week;

Computers A and B are on-line all the time and their folders are synced right.

Computer C some time is powered off. And after several weeks there is a following issue:

folder on C contains several files, which were deleted from A and B.

I posted a month or so ago about an issue I had where syncing to a specific network didn't work. Since then I have isolated the problem as depending on just that network, but I'm really at a loss here. Here's the scenario:

Syncing TO the network where "server" (family's central backup server, I live in another city) is does NOT work. It works between all other computers I can get my hands on, even with my university computer that's behind a huge firewall, sitting in a huge university network, etc.

Topology:

Network A: can sync to and from all tested computers, with the exception of TO network B ("server").

Network B: can sync TO all tested computers, but sees no changes made on other computers.

"Sync to" means changes made on this computer are propagated "instantly" to other computers.

Both use the same router (Fritz!Box 7390) BUT the one in network B has been modified somehow by the ISP and the VDSL connection is a permanent one - i.e. no interruption and no IP change. My suspicion is that all lines from our area are grouped (masquaraded) somehow, but then, I have a DynDNS account set up pointing to that router and it works fine, VNC ports are forwarded fine, BitTorrent works fine, etc. I'm really at a loss here.

The kicker: even IF the ISP was somehow filtering some traffic, the two routers have a permanent IPSec connection between them, that is, network A and B appear to all computers in it to be two related subnets. So all BTSync traffic is encapsulated in encrypted IPsec packets. But sync to network B doesn't work regardless of whether IPSec is activated.

Even better: If I set up a synced folder between network A and B and add some files to it on A; like I said, B will not notice (it doesn't even show up in the History on "B"). But if I let it sit long enough, somehow B will "notice" and sync some files, but not others, then somehow notice the others, set up transfers with 0kb/s which work when I enable TCP for LAN. Then I add some more files on A, and again B doesn't notice.

I have absolutely NO clue what's going on. I had the router on B dump out Wireshark captures, and they show the packets arriving fine, so the ISP apparently isn't filtering.

Here are the logs:

sync_atlas_1.log and sync_server_1.log are from a test where I added files on network B ("server"), and they were immediately sent to atlas, as seen in the logs.

sync_atlas_2.log and sync_server_2.log are from a test where I added files on network A ("atlas"), and network B did not notice until later (around 10:33 in the log, twenty minute after logging started and the files were added), sent SOME of the files and the remainer only (not on the logs) when I enabled LAN TCP.

sync_logs.zip