If You Have Sync Issue

kos13

I haver a problem with the Android Sync App.

I want to sync big files (backup archives) to my phone. FAT32 have filesize limitation about 4GB. On EXT4 volumes the filesize imitation about 16TB. So I have partitioned my SD card. It have got 2 partitions. The first is FAT32 (~2GB) partition, the second is EXT4 (~28GB).

The sync app works great on the ext4 partition with smaller than 4GB sized files. Tested with 3.8GB file.

If the file is bigger than 4GB the sync app doesn't create the .sync file. Tested with 4.2GB file.

The phone downloading continously, but doesn't save the file to the memory card. On the SD card I have got 21GB free space.

I'm running BTSync 1.1.48 on a NAS machine (ARM CPU). The process crashes when I try to generate the secret/key with the WebGUI (under the Add folder iteration). If I launch the program in the foreground (--nodaemon option to skip daemonizing) then it works just fine. Any ideas of what's wrong here?

I have the following Problem: (Only the new version on all server 1.1.48)

I have the SyncApp on my phone, and I have two BTSync Server (one at work, and one at home).

The work one is a Windows one and configured to only "Search LAN", and my mobile phone connects and syncs perfectly.

The home one is a Linux one and configured to only "Search LAN" too,

But this time my phone cannot connect to the Linux server. If I "Use tracker server" it works.

If I set a predefined host (The internal IP of my phone), it works too. The phone just does not find the server in the LAN.

My Home LAN IP configuration is 192.168.1.0/255, so I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work.

Can someone else please verify that the Linux btsync server can or cannot sync via LAN?

(Important: It seems to work the first time, but if you then disconnect and wait for a day, or just closing both applications and opening them might do the same trick, these two cannot find each other anymore...)

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a problem with the new BTSync 1.1.48 version. I have it installed on two machines: my work laptop (Win 7) and at home on my iMac. It worked flawlessly until the recent update. Now the two machines can't see each other when I'm connected at work (behind a firewall obviously) and nothing get "SYNCed". When I connect my laptop at home, then the two machines can see each other and the sync works just fine.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Hi,

I have a problem with the new BTSync 1.1.48 version. I have it installed on two machines: my work laptop (Win 7) and at home on my iMac. It worked flawlessly until the recent update. Now the two machines can't see each other when I'm connected at work (behind a firewall obviously) and nothing get "SYNCed". When I connect my laptop at home, then the two machines can see each other and the sync works just fine.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Could you please restart BTSync on the laptop at your work.

If, after this, the connection will be absent, please send Feedback with logs.

I have a linux machine and two mac's syncing a directory. And I end up with sync issues everytime I use vim to edit my files. The sync issue arises with the .<filename>.swp files that vim creates. I have figured out a workaround that involves modifying the .vimrc file where the swp files are saved in a directory not managed by BTSync.

Just wanted to see if I am the only one who is facing this issue or is something wrong with my configuration. I am using 1.1.48 version of BTSync.

I love BTSync but for some reason I have to open the app on my android phone before it will start syncing on my desktop device to which it is linked. A little annoying.

Only after launching the app will it detect that here is another device online and start its service. Upon launching the app it still says "0 devices online" for a brief moment.

Step 1. Turn on Debug Logging.

Linux: create file debug.txt with contents of FFFF in the .sync folder. You can find the .sync folder in the same directory where the btsync binary is located.

I don't have this folder. How do I enable debugging on a Synology NAS with btsync 1.1.48 ?

> tree /volume1/@appstore/btsync/
/volume1/@appstore/btsync
|-- app
| |-- config
| `-- images
| |-- btsync-16.png
| |-- btsync-24.png
| |-- btsync-32.png
| `-- btsync-48.png
|-- bin
| |-- addgroup
| |-- adduser
| |-- btsync
| |-- busybox
| |-- delgroup
| `-- deluser
`-- var
|-- settings.dat
|-- settings.dat.old
|-- syncapp.pid
|-- sync.conf
|-- sync.conf.sample
|-- sync.dat
|-- sync.dat.old
|-- sync.log
`-- webui.zip

I have shares (OS X 1.1.69) with 200+ character secrets and wanted to connect a mobile device (iOS 1.1.109) and realised, that the QR code generated by the desktop version gets `truncated' i.e. not the whole QR code is shown. The FreeBSD version (1.1.70 x64) does not have this issue.

I just installed BTSync on some mac OSX devices.

My mom bought a new macbook.

The macbook was initialized using the apple "migrate tool", It simply copies all the apps and *THE DATA* from the source machine to the new machine.

--> This resulted in copying the BTSync cache and config files from the origin iMac.

This caused both copies of BTSync to use the same port number and config file which caused one machine to mask the other and other on the local network, and other funkyness.

I sussed it out and after deleting the configuration and cache files ( hard to find and the cache and config file locations not documented ). After doing so and re-running the BTSync app on one of the machines proper function was restored.

It would be appropriate to store a "unique machine ID" or whatever in the config files so that if it is run on a newly "migrated" machine or otherwise copied, machine specific information will be re-initialized.

If not, a lot of people who don't know how to debug it are going to have similar problems.

PK

Now that I've fixed the problem, how do I go about turning off debugging?
Hi,

what system do you use BTSync? On Windows/Mac you should just clicke the very same Checkbox you've used to turn on debugging.

On linux...oh well, I really have no clue on how to ENABLE debugging in the first place.

If you enabled debugging on Linux, would you tell, HOW you enabled it? (what steps and where)

Then, I'm sure, we can figure out, how to disable debugging again :-)

Hello,

I'm using BTSync on Linux Mint 14 (Nadia). As far as I how I enable it, I followed the instructions in the first post of this topic (create the debug.txt file with FFFF and put it in the .sync directory). The issue is that the debug.txt file has disappeared, but the sync.log file keeps growing with (what appear to me as) debugging comments.

D

Hi,

what system do you use BTSync? On Windows/Mac you should just clicke the very same Checkbox you've used to turn on debugging.

On linux...oh well, I really have no clue on how to ENABLE debugging in the first place.

If you enabled debugging on Linux, would you tell, HOW you enabled it? (what steps and where)

Then, I'm sure, we can figure out, how to disable debugging again :-)

Hello,

I'm a little confused by this suggestion as the .sync directory is in every BTSync install (whatever the current working directory was when the binary was executed). All I did was follow the instructions in the first post in this topic (by user kos13). The permissions and owner:group settings are unrelated to my issue.

D

Here is not such directory.

What are the permissions and owner:group settings? Maybe I can add this folder myself, but I need to know the permissions.

I just looked back at your original posted question and it seems to be about how to enable debugging on a synology NAS (something which I have no insight about). On the synology NAS, btsync is run as the 'btsync' user, whereas on my laptop, btsync is run using my username. So, I'm not sure how knowing the permissions for files on my linux laptop will help.

However, I went and looked and as I suspected, there's nothing special about the permissions. All files in $HOME as well as $HOME/.sync have permissions -rw-r--r-- and all directories and sub-directories have permissions drwxr-xr-x. And, all files and directories have my username as the owner and as well as the group (as is standard for a mint/ubuntu install).

I also logged in to my synology NAS and in my $HOME directory, the sync'd directory has an owner:group of btsync:users. The permissions are drwxrwxr-x. The files and subdirectories in the sync'd directory are all -rw-r--r-- and drwxr-xr-x, respectively.

Lastly, it appears that all I had to do to turn off debugging was restart btsync.

D

yes, but not to mine :-)

so would you please tell?

Thank you for the information! I'm happy, you could solve your issue so easily :-)

For me, it seems, debugging does not work, by just adding a folder with the same permissions and owner:groups and the FFFF file.

Dunno why and now I can't spend more time now. I'll wait until debugging can be tuned on/off in a simpler way.

Hi,

as there is no issue tracker, this might have been posted already:

I have btsync 1.1.70 running on FreeBSD servers (x64) and a Raspberry Pi with just the default config i.e. I run it via ./btsync in the command line. I use no config file and when I try to change general settings with check buttons, no changes will be saved after clicking OK. When I go back to the same folder preferences, everything is back as default. The only thing that seems to be saved in general setting is the list of predefined hosts This happens with both RO and RW shared folders.