If You Have Sync Issue

kos13

Just notice the new version for android 1.1.21, even though there wasn't a new version of desktop as far as I can tell. I installed it and my problem seems to be fixed or at least not quite as obvious.

I'm having this problem with version 1.1.38 of the Android client. When I start the app on my Galaxy Note II it will sometimes believe that its (old) version of the file is new and the old version will be pushed to all other clients on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Linux x64. This happened today, with a new sync folder that was created after the update to 1.1.38.

No matter how many times I try it, I remain unable to send files to my iOS device (an iPad mini). I scan the QR, it appears to accept it, but nothing happens. I tried it over and over again and with different codes.

I know from following this forum that the folder is added after the QR is scanned. When I send files to other devices (my Android phone), once the QR is scanned, it briefly shows the secret and registers it. Then I know it works. Yet, I remain unable to send files or folders to my iPad. The secret never "registers" or "takes" (for lack of better terms) in iOS thus precluding any sync with the iPad.

Is there an update coming soon to resolve this? Any work around?

I hope a resolution appears soon because I have come to rely upon, and get much use out of, Bittorrent Sync. This would be the final link in my chain to remove myself from others' data centers.

I also wish there as an iPad native application.

Anyway to have a true backup for android that doesn't delete files on other clients once it is deleted from the server (mobile). I have my phone set up to backup my pictures and video to my desktop and server, but when I delete something off my phone it deletes off of my desktop and server. I would like the option to have the files that I delete off my phone stay on my desktop and server and transfer to other devices if added.

I'm currently evaluating BTSync to sync a folder/subfolder with several million files. The application crashed after X number of hours on both servers.

Do I follow the normal procedure to supply information? (Will you have enough information?)

---------------------------------------

I have a very similar problem syncing a drive with 50 000 files.

BTSync reports "indexing" for a few minutes, then the PC freezes completely.

Not even the mouse pointer is moving, and I have to push the restart-button.

The PC is running Win7 64-bit.

I have a very similar problem syncing a drive with 50 000 files.

BTSync reports "indexing" for a few minutes, then the PC freezes completely.

Not even the mouse pointer is moving, and I have to push the restart-button.

The PC is running Win7 64-bit.What

Did you checked Events Log in Control Panel\Administration after PC restart?

Please check that in Advanced options of btsync application "low_disk_priority" parameter is set to "true"

I think that your pc hardware is causing this. I'm using btsync with Win 7 x64 for sharing more than 100 000 files and didn't see critical lags during indexing

I am running BTSync 1.1.70 on my laptop (Win7) and my server (Ubuntu 12.04 lts, with xubuntu desktop).  All up to date. 

I sync data on the laptop to the server (full access share),  I never actually modify the files stored on the server from the server side, all file changes being made on the laptop.  This means that the laptop  has the canonical version of the files.  

Yesterday afternoon, I powered down the server, and continued to work on the laptop, which ran all night.  This morning I powered up the server and BTSync surprisingly pushed changes to the laptop (2 files). This should not have been possible as there was no correct way for the server to have a more up-to-date version of these files.   I luckily picked up the problem straight away as the application I was using reported that another application (BTSync) had modified files it had open.  I was able the restore the files from the syncarchive directory (which only contained the 2 files in question).  This would have been a big problem if I had not detected it.

I did not have logging enabled.  I have checked the time and timezone on both machines - no problems there.   Any ideas what might have caused this?  

I am running BTSync 1.1.70 on my laptop (Win7) and my server (Ubuntu 12.04 lts, with xubuntu desktop).  All up to date. 

I sync data on the laptop to the server (full access share),  I never actually modify the files stored on the server from the server side, all file changes being made on the laptop.  This means that the laptop  has the canonical version of the files.  

Yesterday afternoon, I powered down the server, and continued to work on the laptop, which ran all night.  This morning I powered up the server and BTSync surprisingly pushed changes to the laptop (2 files). This should not have been possible as there was no correct way for the server to have a more up-to-date version of these files.   I luckily picked up the problem straight away as the application I was using reported that another application (BTSync) had modified files it had open.  I was able the restore the files from the syncarchive directory (which only contained the 2 files in question).  This would have been a big problem if I had not detected it.

I did not have logging enabled.  I have checked the time and timezone on both machines - no problems there.   Any ideas what might have caused this?  

Hello,

I noticed exactly the same problem. BTSync 1.1.70 on three PCs (2PC + 1 Notebook, all on Windows 7 x64). A shared directory for R / W between all the machines. Both the PC is turned on, Notebook off. I changed a lot of files on one PC, all properly synchronized to the second PC. After a few hours I turned on the laptop and all the old files on the laptop rewrote the new updated files on both PC. Fortunately, I still had a backup on Dropbox. This is really unusable. I'll try to reproduce the issue and send the logs if it helps. We hope that this project will follow a functioning state on which you can rely on. It's a great idea and it would be a shame if it ended badly, as is mostly the good things state. Fingers crossed, anyway.

Jan

I noticed exactly the same problem.

Me 3, my win 7  netbook with dbf files  from 9.16 managed to replace files on my desktop with a 9.20 date. I was able to restore the correct versions with Spideroak. Both folders are on Truecrypt partitions, I have to keep remembering to share those drives after a reboot, otherwise Bitsync can't see the other device.

this is the first time I've seen this in the 2 months I've been using Bitsync.

Bitsync hangs when rebooting my XP pro PC, have not seen that on win 7 or 8.

I have the issue of btsync using constantly about 70% CPU. I am using it in linux and I noticed that basically it's constantly accessing the harddrive at around 60MB/s, non-stop. 

Using lsof I can tell it's basically looping through a bunch of files and never stops.

I tried to enable debugging but the suggestion of "debug.txt" with FFFF is not working for me. Why can't this simply be a command line option like all other commands?? And what's with the FFFF?? I'm sure there's a reason for it but it seems like it would be so much better if this was made more user friendly. You would probably get less issues like one of the posters on this thread who can't DISable debug logging.

I hope someone has an idea of how to calm down my btsync cuz I can't have this process just running on my server using a constant 70% cpu.

"

Can I force Sync to do local network (LAN) syncing only and not sync via the Internet?
Yes - simply disable the Relay, Tracker, and DHT options (these are per-folder settings). Sync will then no longer connect to any remote devices (outside your local network).

"

I've noticed that, even with Relay, Tracker, and DHT disabled, and only using the Search LAN option, if there is one device on the LAN that can contact the outside "swarm" it seems to exchange the peer information and try to connect to the WAN and the LAN clients.

Normally this isn't an issue of course, but since connections seem to be attempted from the WAN clients, and I've noticed that WAN clients sometimes show data being uploaded directly to a "non-public" LAN client, while the "non-public" LAN client shows no downloading data from remote peers.

My use case, is I have a Small NAS that acts as a local backup to my server, the server has ports forwarded, and it is public to the swarm, but the NAS doesn't have ports forwarded, and only has "Search LAN" as the Share option. Both the NAS and WAN peers show each other in their client list, but no data can come into the NAS from the WAN peers, (since the ports are not forwarded) I could just forward ports for the NAS, and allow both the Server and the NAS public access. but then the upload and download gets messy since my connection is SLOW.....

I also realize that I can just set the download and upload rates in the NAS to 1kbps, (since 0 is unlimited), and since I can set the NAS to disable LAN rate limits, it should work fine, but on the PPC build of syncapp, i've noticed it seems like the "rate limit local peers" option might be ignored. Of course that could be an issue with how syncapp decides something is local, or a complication with the WD MyBookLive config, 

But anyway.... I guess a "Disable PEX" option would fix it, but I assumed that since "Search LAN" was the only option enabled it, that it would only connect to Local Peers. I guess the other option is a "Only Connect to Local Peers" option would work too.....

Danke fur alles, und guten nacht

I have a bug where two BitTorrent Sync clients can't sync with each other in cloned VMs.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install Bittorrent Sync in a Windows 7 (probably any Windows version, have only tested in Win7) virtual machine.

2. Set BT sync to sync a folder with a new secret.

(3. Make sure it can sync that folder with another machine on the network.) - Not needed other than to verify that the first two steps were correctly executed.

4. Make sure no other machines are using the same secret as the virtual machine.

5. Clone the VM and start both copies. - At this point the only two machines using the secret from step 2 should be these machines.

Note 1:

Setting a different device name in one of the VMs does NOT solve the problem.

Note 2:

Copying the folder "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync" from one Windows installation where BTSync is installed to another might also create the same issue, I can't verify this at the moment though.

Result:

The two VMs containing identical copies of "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync" won't be able to sync with each other.

Temporary workarounds:

Remove the folder "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync" in one of the VMs and set up BTSync manually with the secret from step 2. They now sync properly.

-- OR --

Run a copy of BTSync (not a clone) on a third machine and let all syncing go through this machine, not efficient and might cause issues I have not yet seen since this third copy seems to think it is only talking to ONE client as is made obvious if changing the device name on one of the VMs. Under devices on this third machine the name will then keep changing between the two names.

My thoughts:

It seems to me there is some unique id which is generated when the configuration is first made and since that remains part of the VM clone the two instances can't communicate. Couldn't this be made to be recalculated on program start based on some unique identifier of the system? Eg. the MAC of the first NIC or possibly just use the change of the MAC as an indicator to recalculate the id in order to avoid this issue?

If btsync could be configured by loading a config file in Windows the workaround could be automated, but as it is now this is not possible to automate. 

If you need more details please just ask.

OK, I can't find any way to start a new topic on the BitTorrent Sync forum--what's the secret? 

My problem is with Ubuntu 12 (on an old P4 Dell PC). When I boot the OS, I get an error alert: 

/usr/lib/btsync-user/btsyncindicator.py reports a crash at line 96, with AttributeError in setup_session(): 'Response' object has no attribute 'text'

Any tips on what to do about this? 

Synced files are being deleted (Can't make a new topic)

all 1.1.69, all Windows, all looking at same time server

The remote laptops are syncing to the server, but we are getting a lot of CloseHandles: Cannot create a file when that file already exists, but now, here's one that more worrying,..

Laptop 1 syncs a file down to the server

Laptop 2 deletes that file for no obvious reason

or

Laptop 1 finish's downloading a file

Laptop 1 fails syncing of same file, Hash:the system cannot find the file specified

Laptop 2 deletes that file

Laptop 1 entry now says ReadFromDisk: The system cannot find the file specified

We are worried that a lot of files will not be synced. I have checked and no one is manually deleting or edit the sync files

I can't start a new thread either (used to be able to)

That aside, I'm having a problem where not all of the devices are being displayed in BTS.  I have a desktop at home that all of my laptops recognize, and my desktop displays all of the laptops as devices. Things ultimately sync fine, but if Laptop A adds a file, Laptop B says "added by remote peer", but then syncs the file via the desktop at home (which is kind of silly when I have A and B sitting right next to each other). It's weird that everything has to be mediated by that desktop... doesn't seem right to me.

EDIT: BTS 1.1.69, 3 of the computers are Mac (2 OSX 10.8 [including desktop], 1 OSX 10.6), and 1 computer is running Windows 7.

As I posted here before: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/18984-source-code-control-metadata-shouldnt-sync-by-default/?p=66838 -- A desirable use case for me (and apparently others) is to have bittorrent sync keep a local git repository in sync between multiple computers. I often work on my workstation, and then move to my laptop to continue working on the same git repository. I expect that after a few minutes, if all computers are connected, the whole git repo should be completely synced, and that I should be able to continue on where I left off. (this worked on Dropbox for years, and for many git repos, so it must be possible)

In any case, it has unfortunately happened a number of times now that bittorrent sync puts back older versions of the files I'm working on, although all three involved nodes (Synology NAS, workstation, laptop all with 1.1.70) are time synchronized with NTP. What I then usually do, is to double-check exactly what changes have been reversed, and then to do "git --reset hard HEAD" when I'm sure that's what I mean (in many cases, but not all, the git object store seems to be up to date, but the files not).

Is anyone else seening this behaviour? Any tips to remedy, or decrease the chances of it happening?

The moving is not working, just sometimes. I move a files inside a sychronized, and btsync starts to upload the full files again, instead of moving. Sometimes i move 6 files, 1 of these is re-uploaded, other 5 gets moved correctly. Totally random when it works or not.

(probably because the "removal" of the file and the "new" file noticed by btsync at different times)

Im having an indexing issue.

Installed the latest 1.1.82, syncing from OSX to W7 on local network.

Its a read-only connection from OSX to W7.

Syncing works fine, but indexing gets stuck on W7, it reads files over and over, size and file number count is changing a bit. It gets stuck in an infinite loop.

Here is a small screencast (file site and count): http://screencast.com/t/jQJ8inNhD

It reads the same files over and over: http://screencast.com/t/D5M0pQFfE2XP

I thought its a disk failure, i copied all the files to another disk, reindexed it, it gets stuck again.

I thought the files are damaged in some way, so i started deleting the files that are read at the infinite indexing, i deleted all the files you can see in the second screencast, BTSync started to read other files.

I tried to install an older version of syncapp (2 times) but probably it does not support readonly secrets - 1.0.xx displayed an error, that the secret is invalid. I updated to the latest, all installs got stuck indexing.

I did not try to reindex on OSX and resync again, its my last idea.

Oh, and on W7, debug logging is enabled, but sync.log is 0 byte (despite the resync process). On OSX i didnt found the BTSync folder with the log.

What should i do?