My general feedback

hohums

Congrads on the release of bittorrent sync I think it is fantastic! It has been the easiest sync tool to setup that I've used. I would really like to use this as my main sync tool.

There are some pain points that are preventing me from using it which I believe others have mentioned. However I hope that by mentioning them again it might help you guys with prioritization. Anyway here is my list:

Pain Points

1) I need a way to filter files. I'm using this to share a asset repository and we build into the folder. I don't want certain dlls etc... copied out of that folder because we would clobber each other. Note I was actually using the zero-file size bug along with symbolic links to work around this issue.

2) The newest version over LAN is faster however it is not as fast as copying at 70kbs - 7MBs. I'm wondering if there is any plans to improve this further since LAN runs at 100MBs - 1000Mbs.

Wish List

3) A command line interface so that I can set this up on machines without going through an installer.

4) A way to run a program once a whole folder has been synced.

5) An idle CPU mode where it uses more CPU when the machine is idle.

6) An idle bandwidth mode where it uses more bandwidth when the machine is idle.

7) A way to automatically update all sync programs that are connected together from one machine.

Also is this going to be open source? If so I would add a patch for the file filtering and command line options myself.

1) I need a way to filter files. I'm using this to share a asset repository and we build into the folder. I don't want certain dlls etc... copied out of that folder because we would clobber each other. Note I was actually using the zero-file size bug along with symbolic links to work around this issue.

With SyncApp 1.0.90 (and later) you CAN filter which files are synced/ignored - please see the hidden ".SyncIgnore" file in each folder you're syncing for more information

Congrads on the release of bittorrent sync I think it is fantastic! It has been the easiest sync tool to setup that I've used. I would really like to use this as my main sync tool.

Thank you!

Pain Points

You have this option, as mentioned above. Just look to .SyncIgnore ignore file in each folder.

2) The newest version over LAN is faster however it is not as fast as copying at 70kbs - 7MBs. I'm wondering if there is any plans to improve this further since LAN runs at 100MBs - 1000Mbs.

This is very interesting question. First, you get the fastest speed on big files. On small files SyncApp just can't reach maximum speed, so try synchronize something big like 1 Gb file.

Now we will talk about one interesting aspect, depending on your computer you might have around 50-70 MB/s performance from your harddrive that is shared across OS and all your applications. So SyncApp reaches limit of your harddrive faster than your network. SSD harddrives will give you better speed and faster speed from SyncApp.

SyncApp behaves politely to other apps, so if harddrive is used by other app, SyncApp will reduce speed to not interfere with the app. You just don't want to be in a case that your OS is stuck due to SyncApp.

In our tests on SSD drives SyncApp reach 1000Mbs limit of network.

Wish List

3) A command line interface so that I can set this up on machines without going through an installer.

4) A way to run a program once a whole folder has been synced.

5) An idle CPU mode where it uses more CPU when the machine is idle.

6) An idle bandwidth mode where it uses more bandwidth when the machine is idle.

7) A way to automatically update all sync programs that are connected together from one machine.

Also is this going to be open source? If so I would add a patch for the file filtering and command line options myself.

We added this to feature list.

I really appreciate the quick response. The filter file is exactly what I need, so happy!!!

As to file syncing large files. Firstly I really appreciate your detailed explanation... it might help me figure out how to adjust things on my end to make it work better. I get about 50MBs if I just drag a bunch of files onto a network drive on the other syncing machine, if that helps at all of course that using my hard drive at full strength.

Anyway a couple of suggestions you might have already considered.

- There must be a way to batch up files first. Potentially a future mod could (optionally) LAMA2 compress up files and send them in batches or something. You could probably do that smartly while the network is in use but the computer is mostly idle (ie trade CPU for bandwidth time).

- Also I'm not sure how you send your files but in my experience asyncing files can help a lot. ie have one thread loading them into memory while another is sending them.

Some more feature requests:

1) When I add a new file to the disk it takes a while to send it. I mean like 20 seconds with a lot of files. Have you or do you use file monitors after indexing? On windows that is http://msdn.microsof...261(VS.85).aspx. There is also the more advanced change journals on NTFS which allow you to shut down and restart the app without missing file changes http://www.installse...meapis1_10.html. Anyway I'm guessing if you don't use these it is more just a matter of time sort of thing and it is OS specific.

2) Integration into the OS explorer so I can right click on a folder and add it to my sync list or right click a file / folder to ignore a file / file type / folder. An icon on the folder/file with also be nice. It is the first thing my friends mentioned when I showed them the app.

Anyway now that I know about this ignore feature it pretty much makes bit torrent useful for me Yay!!

Thanks again and awesome work! I don't know why there aren't any other sync tools out there that work this well.