Syncapp Mobile: Wishlist

kos13

We do want to hear from you what you want to see in SyncApp mobile version. Must have features, how you plan to use SyncApp on phone or tablet or anything else you want to share with us.

To answer your immediate question: yes, we started developing SyncApp mobile and it will see the light of day quite soon.

i'd be using it to sync my music collection, mostly.

Possibly also pictures. But I'd make the pictures one-way: full key on the phone, read-only key on my home repository, and somehow make the home repository never delete anything.

option to sync only over wifi is a must, i don't think that should be a restriction though. It should work over 3g/4g/whatever as well.

like i also said on the main wishlist, wiFi ssid-based bandwidth capping would be great, since the phone is more mobile than the laptop, and not all networks might be suitable/happy/understanding with you bitTorrenting from them.

I think what we would need for mobile would be more like what Dropbox does. When You use the Dropbox App on your Mobile Device you get a list of files that are Available. Since Mobile Phones have limited Storage and Limited bandwidth I think it should be an on demand type access not sync all files. IE Sync has Files A, B, C, D, & E I need file C on my Mobile Device so I'll Just download File C.

Currently, I have DropSync installed to connect with dropbox. I use this to automatically sync any pictures I take with my phone or tablet, anything I download via the browser, as well as the information from multiple applications, with dropbox, which then syncs them to my desktop and laptop.

I would use Syncapp in much the same manner, except since I'm not limited by any storage space restrictions as I am with Dropbox, I could also use it to sync larger video and and music libraries over.

Features that would be great would be to set it to sync via chosen networks only (such as only wifi), the ability to limit syncing over battery versus plugged in, timed as well as automatic syncing, as well as the ability to set each of these limitations on a per folder basis. For instance, I want any pictures I take with the camera to automatically sync at any time no matter what, but items I download via the browser can wait until I'm on wifi.

I think what we would need for mobile would be more like what Dropbox does. When You use the Dropbox App on your Mobile Device you get a list of files that are Available. Since Mobile Phones have limited Storage and Limited bandwidth I think it should be an on demand type access not sync all files. IE Sync has Files A, B, C, D, & E I need file C on my Mobile Device so I'll Just download File C.

but if you have syncapp on one Computer and its off, you cant get anything on demand i think it should be just like the desktop version but with extra options like:

1-Sync only on wifi.

2-Sync only when plugged.

3-Sync when on specific connections.

4-Option to only get files "Download" and do not give them "upload" to other devices.

I am looking forward to the thought of syncing to a mobile device. While Sync-only-on-WiFi would be very nice to keep bandwidth utilization in-check, I don't think using it like Dropbox (no local files, only opening from online) would be of little/no interest or use to me. I NEED an app to sync my music, & images from a "cell" folder on my desktop to my cell / tablet.

Personally, I appreciate the way EverNote operates on iOS: Sync only on demand (requires a connection, either 3G or WiFi), but you can flag a document for local storage (good to ensure that you can still access some key documents when you're off the grid).

I intend to use the BTSync in very much the same way as EverNote does (more than DropBox), so it should be clear how synced documents/notes can be handled on the phone.

Did I say I'm all in favor of an iPhone/iOS version?

If we could have could have a similar feature such as dropbox that allows picture syncing that would be great! Specifically being in the IT field, it's amazing to be able to snap a picture with your phone, hop on your laptop, attach the synced picture, and send it all off in a e-mail in the matter of minutes to your co-worker.

Having the same feature apply to videos would be great too. It's great for when going on vacations and having all of your video and pictures sync to the cloud, becauseyou don't have to worry what would happen if your phone/picture/videos gets stolen or broken.

If they implmented this, goodbye other services!

I am comparing to my experience on dropbox...

1. On dropbox there is no ability to sync only certain maps which means a full box sync on the mobile or no box sync at all. I want to be able to sync only certain maps on BTSync. It doesn't have to be as complex as total file sync control... but it would really be handy if you can deselect certain maps from sync to mobile. Not everyone needs their full syncmap on the mobile but only wants certain maps.

2. Right now on dropbox there is no way to invite someone with read only... for example I uploaded a map full of pics of my baby and want to allow my wife's father to be able to get those pic updates like when I post them in that map but dropbox is a full access or no access policy and it sucks. I do not want him to accidentally delete files.

To start I'll list the constraints we are working with.

1. BTSync is not Dropbox - there is no 'cloud' store. So there needs to be at least one machine running with a copy of your shares in order to access files. (Obvious I know, but just listing it)
  2. Mobile devices have limited storage so normal 'full' sync probably couldn't work.
  3. iOS apps are sandboxed - so a normal sync behavior wouldn't be useful on that platform anyway.
  4. Mobile devices are on intermittent / inconsistent connections.
  5. Mobile devices have data plans with file transfer limits.
  6. Mobile devices have power constraints that need to be considered.

So given the limitations, I'd say full sync peer behavior is off the table. I'd like to use a mobile BTSync app primarily to automatically copy my photos and videos to a share on my computer. A close second would be to browse files on a computer share (assuming it was left on) and view / stream them on demand.

Here is a list of features I'd like to see:

• Automatic push of new photos and videos to a designated share or specific folder in a share.
    • I would not call this sync as deleting the originals from my phone's camera roll should not remove them from the share.

[*]Option to restrict to auto push of photos / videos to wifi only.

[*]Browsing through the file / folder list of any share.

[*]On demand view or play of any supported file.

[*]Flag, pin or 'favorite' specific files for offline storage.

[*]Ability to download and send files via email.

[*]Ability to download and copy photos to my camera roll.

[*]Built in music player for navigating and streaming a music collection.

• Would need some smart caching behavior, but not a permanent copy of the files.

[*]Built in photo / slide show viewer for navigating folders of photos.

[*]Built in Video player for streaming video files (in formats supported by the device of course)

[*]Built in document viewer (.pdf, word, excel, pages etc)

phones are easy to get lost or stolen and since i would also sync some valuable files from my computer, i'd like to have an option to locally encrypt selected synced folder. and when the folder gets decrypted, i could open the files inside from within the app. the last four features from the previous post would also be recommended, to only open those files inside the app for better security.

Personally I'd like it to work so I could do the following on my Android (v4.0.4) phone, i.e. first two being equivalent functionality to the desktop version:

1. Sync my phone's 'Pictures' folder with a new folder on the PC, so everytime I take a picture, it's automatically on my PC. Same vice versa if I wish to take pictures with me to show on my phone.
  2. Sync my phone's 'Music' folder with a new folder on the PC. This could be 1-way, i.e. read-only folder on the phone, so when I add music to the folder on my PC, it's automatically added to the phone.
  3. Ability to select which shared folders to sync over the mobile network. For example, I would like to always have the pictures folder sync'd over 3G, but not other folders.
  4. Selective sync - For example, if one has a 10GB shared folder with a 100MB folder of important data inside, that this specific folder only could be synced to the phone.

Another possible idea for the mobile version would be the ability to use it to cache data waiting to be synced with other devices (e.g. up to a user defined amount such as 200MB), which would be useful for users with a slow uplink at home and have their office PC switched off while out of the office. For example, if I add a 100MB of files to my shared folder, the mobile app would add this to its cache while the desktop version would sync as normal any other devices running BT Sync using the shared secret. If I head to work and switch on my PC, BT Sync would then start syncing as usual, but once it detects the mobile App on the network with the cached data, it would fetch this from the mobile App. If more data needs to be synced than the max cache size, then it would continue syncing the rest over the internet as usual.

Mobile devices have limited storage so normal 'full' sync probably couldn't work.

But you choose what folders you sync, so you can certainly sync mobile specific folders with other devices or desktops.

I currently sync (full automatic sync) all my photos, downloads, and other files with a dropbox folder.

Syncapp could let me cut out the middleman of box and just sync items with my desktop. All it needs is an option to limit sync to only over wifi or only when battery is over 25%/or on charge.

Likewise, if you are worried about size limitations, a quota that you could add to a share on each synced device to prevent downloading or uploading over the selected amount.

This way, I could set a 5gb share on my phone, 2gb on my tablet, and we'll go with 10gb on the phone I have connected to my TV, but have no quotas on my desktops.

I could put a movie into the share, it's HD and just over 2GB, so my tablet won't get it, but it syncs everywhere else.

Uploads would have a separate quota that you could set, this would prevent someone from throwing gigs of data into a shared folder and ruining everybody's storage and transfers.

There could be a separate setting that states not to download/upload files over a certain size as well.

These would be good settings for desktop and mobile versions

• Integrate BitTorrent Live with BitTorrent Sync to make movie and audio streaming to your phone possible and faster if your files are stored at more than one location.
  • A way to delete or wipe remote nodes from within the bittorrent sync client. Just incase your computer or cell phone gets stolen or lost. > Maybe require a special password for this feature.

Being able to auto-sync photos or video immediately after being taken is an awesome feature that we have with Dropbox. To take it to the next level it would be nice to have an "activist", "journalist" or other type of feature that allows you to auto-sync the images to your cloud storage and then have them be secured or other-wise password protected where they couldn't be deleted from the phones local storage without knowledge of the password or PIN. Or even a feature that allows you to "delete" it from local storage, yet it persists in the "cloud".

Think of the stories where someone takes an audio recording, photo or video that might be construed as "damaging" and when the phone is confiscated and the evidence is deleted or the photog is forced to delete the "evidence" from their device while being supervised.

Ability to upload (Images & Downloaded items) & download (Although, for iOS I believe you're limited to your own sandboxie'd area for downloads)

Edit items (That you've downloaded)

API (Although, this isn't application specific)

Move (This also covers renaming)

Copy (Hopefully just notify other computers "Copied X to Y" so that you don't have to re-upload the whole file?)

Ability to read large files by specifying the lines. E.G. something like:- cat largeFile | head -n 10

Ability to AUTOMATICALLY upload images whenever the application is opened/allowed to upload (Mainly an issue for iOS)

Currently, I have DropSync installed to connect with dropbox. I use this to automatically sync any pictures I take with my phone or tablet, anything I download via the browser, as well as the information from multiple applications, with dropbox, which then syncs them to my desktop and laptop.

I would use Syncapp in much the same manner, except since I'm not limited by any storage space restrictions as I am with Dropbox, I could also use it to sync larger video and and music libraries over.

Features that would be great would be to set it to sync via chosen networks only (such as only wifi), the ability to limit syncing over battery versus plugged in, timed as well as automatic syncing, as well as the ability to set each of these limitations on a per folder basis. For instance, I want any pictures I take with the camera to automatically sync at any time no matter what, but items I download via the browser can wait until I'm on wifi.

Same here.

- choose folders on the phone that we want upload only (it will be the folder containing the pictures you take with your phone)

- for above folder, no download, maybe except erasing (ie, you moved the pictures from one folder to the other on your laptop to sort so you want bitorrent sync to free the space on your phone automatically)

- of course, option to chose, per folder, wifi/3G sync.

- same for plugged-in sync only when battery < X%

- browse files without downloading them

but if you have syncapp on one Computer and its off, you cant get anything on demand i think it should be just like the desktop version but with extra options like:

1-Sync only on wifi.

2-Sync only when plugged.

3-Sync when on specific connections.

4-Option to only get files "Download" and do not give them "upload" to other devices.

What he said.

Obviously, the software should be flexible for the many different data plans that exist - I personally have unlimited data, and gleefully suck up as much as I like.

Here's how I see my phone fitting into all this:

Given the non-cloud-based nature of BT Sync, the obvious drawback is that at least one computer has to be on all the time. My phone is on all the time. Now, to be fair, the memory space on my phone is limited - but surely memory will go up in the future. We should plan for that, and allow as much mobile memory usage as the user likes.

An idea or two: An option to auto-delete data from mobile devices if all other registered computers are up-to-date. This will transform the phone into a central, temporary server of sorts. Obviously, options should be available to make certain filetypes or directories permanent.

Also, for networked computers with a wake-by-network function... consider implementing this somehow?

Execellent, but I found while syncing already exist file, that file also be rename to suffix with ".!sync" , would you please change or add a option that should let user change the rule ??

While syncing a exist file, do not rename old file to ".!sync" , alternative create a new same file with suffix ".!sync" , but do not delete the old file before new file transfer finish !!

for example:

original "zzz.mov" is exist before, while the peer got new version of "zzz.mov" , the original "zzz.mov" still there, but the new version of zzz.mov start syncing and name as "zzz.mov.!sync"

while do that ? becuz while new version of "zzz.mov" syncing, maybe it need 5hours , user can still access the original "zzz.mov" , before new version of "zzz.mov" done

**** It's very important for somebody updating program or live-data ...