Syncapp Mobile: Wishlist

kos13

Right now files larger that 2GB seem to be broken on Android. The problem is that it keeps trying to sync the file unsuccessfully. If you could set it to just ignore files that size then it would be OK until you get the sizes supported.

This will be fixed in next build. Build is in testing right now.

Interesting. We will put apk back somewhere on the site, so you could download it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Q4IRg73AI

This for sure isn't meant that way, but that's what I thought when reading this :)

The most important thing for me has already been mentioned: Known hosts/predefined hosts.

• My companies network configuration blocks tracker servers and DHT, so node discovery isn't possible. And I'm pretty sure that's the case for most of the companies out there and even for public WiFi such as e.g. when being at Starbucks.
  • Because my companies WiFi connects to another IP subnet then the wired computers are in, broadcast isn't possibe, too.

So when being at my office, the only choice I have is to turn WiFi off and do synchronization through my mobile data connection.

Kind regards,

Stephan.

I'd like to be able to re-download a file in a read-only share. Here is the situation:

Suppose I have 10GB of music in a shared folder on my server that I sync to my phone as read-only. I don't have room for all of that on my phone, so I only sync over an album or two. When I get tired of that music, I delete it from my phone and sync something else.

I have shared it to my phone read-only, because I don't want to actually delete any of it off my server.

But now I can't go back and redownload the original albums I deleted off my phone, because btsync sees that I deleted them locally, and assumes I'll never want them again. I understand that this behavior may make sense for a normal read-only workstation client, but I'd rather the mobile app be different in this respect.

Actually, what would work for both would be a "forget I ever deleted these files" option or something along those lines.

(... music...)

Hey there.

Let me extend your use case a little bit. While thinking about it, I gues that your appoach is based on the currently available mechanisms of btsync. Let's think about having completely different synchronization mechanisms for music. Using music as regular share can be done, too. But I really like the idea of having music handled separately, in a way that isn't driven by requiring the user to do file system operations.

Here's what I'm thinking about:

My first idea is to have some kind of music streaming support.

MP3 files usually have something between 128kBit/s and 256kBit/s, so it's quite feasible for regular household network connections to provide the required bandwith. If there are multiple uploaders, that should be no problem at all. Just like "music on demand". That of course requires at least a single up and running host which provides you with music. But that's doable, I think. And this requires a constant internet connection. But since there are several music streaming platforms out there, this should be no problem, too.

My second idea is to deeply couple the btsync mobile app to the phones music player in terms of scanning the current playlist and interact with it.

Maybe it's possible to provide the phones music player with a cusotm playlist, or maybe provide an integrated music player.

Whatever is going to be realized, I'm thinking about having a playlist and knowning the exact current pointer of the song that is currently played. The btsync app could make sure the last x played songs are keppt, songs that appear earlier in the playlist are deleted automatically. Songs that are going to be played in the future according to the playlist are autoatically downloaded. Let's say automatically download the next 100 songs.

This can be conigured by a second "use WiFi only" switch and adjustable maxAge and lookAhead parameters. Both parameters can be used as both, a number of music files or an amount of file sizes.

I realy don't know if one of my ideas can be implemented, since this is both, a huge amount of work and complicated to interact with system API stuff. But both ideas would be cool stuff on my mobile phone.

Kind regards,

Stephan.

Right now files larger that 2GB seem to be broken on Android. The problem is that it keeps trying to sync the file unsuccessfully. If you could set it to just ignore files that size then it would be OK until you get the sizes supported.

Is this related to btsync or related to androids file system? I'm running Cyanogenmod 10.1 on a Samsung Galaxy S2. It has 8GB of internal storage and I added 64GB as additional storage. Both cards are formated as fat32, which limits the file size. I've been there when I tried to add and mount truecrypt files, completely unrelated to synchronization.

This, after all, was one of the reasons for me to use EncFS instead of Truecrypt on my phone: The file size limit.

But of course that needs to be fixed in btsync if synchronization kees the phone bussy although there's no way to finish the file.

Regards,

Stephan.

Interesting. We will put apk back somewhere on the site, so you could download it.

kos13, I've looked all over the site and still can't see an apk download for the recent Android apps. Those of us without access to Play Store are stuck on 1.1.21 while we continue to upgrade our desktop clients without hinderance. I'm looking forward to updating the Android client - then I can continue to use this awesome app and contribute to the testing / feedback!

kos13, I've looked all over the site and still can't see an apk download for the recent Android apps. Those of us without access to Play Store are stuck on 1.1.21 while we continue to upgrade our desktop clients without hinderance. I'm looking forward to updating the Android client - then I can continue to use this awesome app and contribute to the testing / feedback!

We will have the latest APK in this thread - http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/19228-latest-sync-build-1169/

My wishlist for android version:

1. Add option for transparent notification icon so it is not visible in notification bar.

2. Ability for 3rd party programs to enable/disable auto sync (for example via intents or tasker plugin)

3. Tap into android share menu, so I can for example browse pictures and then press Share -> Bittorrent sync and it would use regular sending option.

4. Ability to send files between mobile and desktop

Otherwise its great app, keep up the good work.

Great tool,

I think this is the way bittorent protocol can move forward and not be known only for "not so legal" Internet traffic.

My wishlist is short:

- android version with gui-less service version (schedule, configure from GUI, than put in background to auto-magicaly sync folders)

- android version with web-based gui service version - similar to above but remote control through web would be nice (not for smartphones/tablets but mainly for android-hdmi-smart-tv-sticks)

Whats the big picture?

- I prepared hdmi-android stick with only XBMC video/music player on it. I gave it to my parents and I would love to "deliver" them content thrgough Bittorent Sync.

Regards,

admg

addition to my previous list:

-add option for android/mobile phones to only sync when charging to save battery (since it drains a lot of battery nowadays)

+1

or better of course: solve the battery drain issue

but the option to sync only when charging also came to my mind ...

If you could just make it work like SuperBeam in order to give the ability of transferring huge files between iOS and Android over Personal Hot Spot, with no need of internet access and also as fast as your wifi connection speed, then you would add millions of new fans to your already huge collection of fans.!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...