btsync listens on 0.0.0.0:8888

Marcus

I have tried out btsync for Linux and noticed that per default it listens on:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8888 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 4260/btsync

and not only on localhost. This is a security issue as anyone can access the web-ui without a password, gain the secret and add or remove folders.

This is configurable and should be configured before you could start using it. Idea behind this decision is that sometime you have only ssh access to the machine, and it might have several network interfaces, NAS as example.

So you will have web access and then could close access to the web interface after configuration.

That's what I was working from. To use the GUI I first need to modify the config file to set a secure username/password, and various other parameters. Once I've done that and added the folder I want to sync I'd like to disable the gui as you suggest.

Or do you mean that I should just skip the gui altogether and configure purely on the cli? I'm happy to do that, but haven't been able to get it working or find any log entries or similar that indicate why not.