[Now Implemented!] Corporate Proxy

gabor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So when this is implemented will proxy settings be available in the android app? I have the problem at the moment (and I don't know how common this is) that my phone provider is blocking the ports that BTsync needs to run so I have to be on WiFi to use BTsync. If the android app had proxy settings it would be a snip to get around their blocks using an SSH tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lastest release 1.4 supports Proxy!

Introducing Sync 1.4
Last Updated: Aug 26, 2014 03:18PM PDT

New in 1.4
  • New simplified UI
    UI was fully revised and now looks similar on all platforms. Also, UI was simplified significantly to make Sync use faster, convenient, and easy to use.

• HTTPS links support
    HTTPS links are generated by Sync and shared with a remote peer to exchange Keys securely, using X.509 certificates

• Proxy server support added
    Direct connection between peers is possible as long as one of the two peers is not behind a proxy

Dear colleagues:

Although the version 1.4 introduces Proxy server support, in my case, it does not work yet.

It is curious because when a enter the proxy information, the "Check now" button (to check for updates button) starts working. Nevertheless, the synchronization does not work.

Checking the proxy preferences on the bittorrent client (no sync app), I wonder if the problem is related to this option (which is still missing on the bittorrent sync):

Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections forces BitTorrent to communicate and transfer data with peers through the proxy. By default, this option is disabled, and BitTorrent only uses the proxy to communicate with trackers. This option may not work with some HTTP proxies (not all HTTP proxies support HTTP CONNECT).

I don't kown if the lack of this option causes the problem or not, but definitely, if bittorrent sync is not redirecting ALL the traffic thought the proxy, it won't work for many of us.

So please, if anyone knows. I would love to hear that it is my fault and that I need to just change something on the configuration, but it doesn't seem to be this way. It seems for me to be a problem of a partial implementation of the proxy client features.

open to suggestions

I must concur with dgl289.

No http proxy is sad, since it's the only way to proxy over here.

Allthough ... when I set it to https, I am able to connect to the update site (which otherwise is blocked or gives a timeout, both without proxy as with the socks proxies).

Whatever I try, I cannot get it to work. I've added a predefined host, I've tried all forms of the proxy.

Should I check whether our proxy supports http connect ?

UPDATE : in response to florentm:

Using proxifier & my ssh tunnel, I'm able to route all btsync traffic through the tunnel, making the sync function.

I've added a proxification rule for the btsync.exe app to any host on any port throught the http proxy on port 8080 (which is our corporate proxy).

Same issue as dgl289. Trying to use a SOCKS5 tunnel through putty to get past a strict firewall and the client won't connect to any peers. Looks like I'll stick to my PPTP proxy for a bit longer, although SOCKS would definitely be the better solution.

Regardless, I'm glad it's finally been implemented even if it needs a bit of work.

Edited by ion201

I've tried several proxy configs and none of them seem to be working.  My sync folders are not finding their peers outside the firewall; and the Check For Updates button returns a failure to connect.

Would be really, really helpful if there was some logging to tell me "can't resolve the proxy address you entered" or "resolved the address but can't connect" or "proxy is asking for credentials" or whatever.  And a "test your proxy settings" button would be terrific.  Right now it seems I'm flying blind...

ALSO -- does anyone know how to configure btsync to connect using Ultrasurf?  That would be really helpful!

Update to my own post...

I kept monkeying around with the new Advanced settings until I got something to work.  Turns out the new version is having trouble finding peer machines -- on the same subnet -- on my corporate network.  Unclear why (referring again to my comments below about lack of visibility and the need for more troubleshooting tools).  

On my laptop, yesterday, I had it syncing all folders with two peer desktops.  Overnight I shut down laptop and this morning restarted... and it wouldn't connect to either peer PC.  When I added ONE peer machine under "Use Predefined Hosts" -- then my laptop found BOTH of the peer machines.  I added a host to other folders, same result.  

Prior versions of btsync found the same local peers without any help.

So... I'm able to sync all folders on local network now.  Still unable to connect to anything outside local network -- can't get proxy to work.  Don't know why.

Still wondering if anyone knows how to get btsync to work with Ultrasurf.

I've tried several proxy configs and none of them seem to be working.  My sync folders are not finding their peers outside the firewall; and the Check For Updates button returns a failure to connect.

Would be really, really helpful if there was some logging to tell me "can't resolve the proxy address you entered" or "resolved the address but can't connect" or "proxy is asking for credentials" or whatever.  And a "test your proxy settings" button would be terrific.  Right now it seems I'm flying blind...

ALSO -- does anyone know how to configure btsync to connect using Ultrasurf?  That would be really helpful!

One thing to consider, not all proxies support HTTP Connect method, and out of the ones that support, their Config may be limiting the Connect method to just a few ports. For example at work, our proxy only allows ports 22 443 3000. Other ports won't work. So you need to set other btsync peers working ports to the ones that are allowed by your proxy server. 443 is for sure allowed (https)

• 5 weeks later...

What version were you using previously? Proxy support was added in 1.4.72

GM, I was using 1.4.72.  Couldn't get proxy working, tried all options.  Had a back-and-forth with Support, no help.  Yesterday upgraded to 1.4.83, and it "just worked."  

Further detail:

The machine behind the proxy was trying to connect with two machines on the other side.  After I upgraded machine 1, it immediately connected to machine 2 (which was new, and was already on 1.4.83).  But 1 didn't connect to 3, which was on an older version.  I just upgraded machine 3, and now all of them are connecting.  

So my somewhat blind advice is, if you're trying to use btsync with a proxy, upgrade ALL of your machines to btsync 1.4.83 (or later, depending on when you read this).  

I think it's unfortunate that the GUI doesn't give us more feedback on connectivity -- i.e. "Connected [or unable to connect] to Proxy," "Proxy refused connection," "Connected to directory server," etc.  Would help tremendously in trying to self-assess problems.

I guess I spoke too soon.  Worked yesterday, not working today.  No idea why.  Wish I had some help diagnosing what it is or isn't doing.

GM, I was using 1.4.72.  Couldn't get proxy working, tried all options.  Had a back-and-forth with Support, no help.  Yesterday upgraded to 1.4.83, and it "just worked."  

Further detail:

The machine behind the proxy was trying to connect with two machines on the other side.  After I upgraded machine 1, it immediately connected to machine 2 (which was new, and was already on 1.4.83).  But 1 didn't connect to 3, which was on an older version.  I just upgraded machine 3, and now all of them are connecting.  

So my somewhat blind advice is, if you're trying to use btsync with a proxy, upgrade ALL of your machines to btsync 1.4.83 (or later, depending on when you read this).  

I think it's unfortunate that the GUI doesn't give us more feedback on connectivity -- i.e. "Connected [or unable to connect] to Proxy," "Proxy refused connection," "Connected to directory server," etc.  Would help tremendously in trying to self-assess problems.

@knwpsk

Ultrasurf is not intended for usage anything other than browser traffic (as they state themselves) and I did not found any confirmation on their site that Ultrasurf conforms Socks5 standard (RFC1928).

Also, they implement some filters for the content they believe to be non-legitimate - which might be another reason for blocking Sync traffic.

Thanks, RomanZ, 

Is there a better proxy partner app for btsync?

Agree, I haven't been able to find any documentation on what protocols Ultrasurf does support.

AND:  how can one determine what btsync is or isn't doing, with respect to its peer-to-peer communications?  I'm scrounging thru the sync.log but not finding anything deterministic.  I see it "sending ping to..." remote addresses, but don't see more that would tell me "succeeded" or "failed" etc.  Is there a Help page to describe the connection process, the proxy functionality, and the resulting logs?  I'm happy to read up.

@knwpsk

Ultrasurf is not intended for usage anything other than browser traffic (as they state themselves) and I did not found any confirmation on their site that Ultrasurf conforms Socks5 standard (RFC1928).

Also, they implement some filters for the content they believe to be non-legitimate - which might be another reason for blocking Sync traffic.