Syncapp CPU usage...

salzrat

I noticed in process hacker that btsync has a small CPU spike (5% on my 4-core 2-thread machine, so actually about 40% of one core!) ever 10 seconds. And every once in a while, there are a few seconds where it runs on 12% (100% of one core). This does not seem like much, but it does lead a mobile CPU upclock more often and run hotter...

Also, if I look at the total IO in process hacker, btsync.exe comes out on top most of the time, with about 5KB/s "other" bytes.

Is this normal or because it's still alpha code? Can it be reduced?

Is this normal or because it's still alpha code? Can it be reduced?

I know the team have previously made some improvements in the area of CPU usage - see this topic. So, I would expect (or rather hope!) that further CPU and Memory optimizations can be found before the first public release of BitTorrent Sync.

From my own testing, the amount of CPU usage also appears to be directly linked to the total number of files indexed by BitTorrent Sync. i.e. on devices syncing a several thousand files in total, the CPU (and memory) usage is considerably higher than than devices only syncing a couple of hundred files total. (i.e. 25% CPU & 221MB Memory vs 5% CPU & 13MB Memory)

There's also been a related discussion on high CPU/Memory usage here.

Sync rescans folder every 10 minutes, to make sure there were no changes missed, so you will se a spike in CPU usage. We plan to make this interval configurable.

kos, it would be great if, when implemented, this setting could be on a per-folder basis, rather than just a generic global setting. For example, you may have a folder whos contents wont change more than once a day, and another folder whos contents is expected to change every couple of minutes, etc

kos, that’s not what I see on my machines. It looks like the client is connecting to either the relay or tracker server every couple of seconds. The spike in CPU usage slightly correlates with these connections. The usage on OS X is also about 70–90% and that’s not insignificant. Is this a known issue? Would debug logs help?

So is 5-6% of an 8-core "normal" (as I said, this is 40% of a single core!)? These spikes are quite noticeable compared to any other background program I'm running..

Is 5-6% during spike? Or is it normal cpu rate? how many files you have in Sync folders?

So is 5-6% of an 8-core "normal" (as I said, this is 40% of a single core!)? These spikes are quite noticeable compared to any other background program I'm running..

Yeah, I'd say that's probably normal - I get a 3-11% constant CPU usage from BTSync on one of my quad core machines. Again, the amount of CPU usage does also depend on the actual number of files BTSync is continually monitoring. In my 3-11% constant CPU on a quad core case, BTSync is monitoring over 170,000 files(!)

Ok I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question.

btsync takes 6% every 10 seconds! during the scan activity every 10 minutes, the usage is much higher (it's 12%, i.e., it basically saturates 1 core for about 5 seconds, and on my laptop, also causes Intel turboboost to kick in!). With core I mean a "virtual" core - I have a quadcore with hyperthreading, but this is exposed as 8 cores, so full utilization of 1 core is reported as about 12% in process hacker.

Skype idles at about 0.2% on my machine, with "spikes" of about 0.8-1% every 30 seconds...

I have already sent you logs regarding the file transfer speed for small files, that was on the same machine (the one i'm reporting this for was the "uploading" machine), so you could use those...

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi I also noticed the comparatively high cpu usage. On my 2Core qnap NAS using top to monitor btsync uses 3.9% - 6% CPU. Compared to Dropbox which uses 0.1%. These numbers show when nothing is synced :)

Would be nice if there would be some improvement

Edited by cyberto