Prevent multiple instances

Nairou

SyncApp doesn't currently prevent multiple copies of itself from being launched. This is probably a known issue, but just wanted to mention it.

I installed it on my linux machine, and ran it. Later, forgetting that it was running, I moved the binary to another folder, and launched it from there. Everything appeared to be working fine, since the first copy was already running, until I noticed my CPU was pegged at 100%. I killed the first copy's process, but the CPU was still stuck at 100%, it was the second copy that was having problems. It wasn't until I killed it as well and restarted it that it began to work normally with minimal CPU usage.

It is also interesting (and not unexpected) to note that while I had two copies of SyncApp running, none of the other computers on my network could determine my computer's name, and my computer wouldn't show other computer names. They would connect and sync files, but they just displayed an IP address instead. As soon as I fixed the issue and had only a single instance running, names appeared as expected.

The latest builds of BitTorrent Sync (formally SyncApp) don't allow running multiple instances (on Windows at least)

It may be possible that earlier builds did allow multiple instances, and also there is a case where you can have two copies running (i.e. if you've got both "SyncApp" AND "BitTorrent Sync" installed at the same time), but as I say, the latest builds of BitTorrent Sync don't allow multiple instances on Windows (I can't speak for Linux though)

For me personally this would suck. ;-)

I have multiple users on my linux machine, logged on at the same time, sharing the same secret.

(I know, I could handle this differently, but this is the easiest way).

As a linux user, it is all scripted so they will not interfere with eachother.

So if one wants to prevent multiple instances, then please use the pid file and not the processname. This way accidental executions will be prevented but intentional ones do not.

I don't see a problem with multiple clients running on the same machine as long as they are on different ports and sharing different directories. If you write the PID in the shared directory on launch you can keep a second instance from trying to sync the same folder. The only catch would be one session syncing /mnt/a/ and another trying to sync /mnt/a/b/ to it.