No support for OpenMeta tags?

levee

Hi, I have downloaded Bittorrent sync on my Macs (both 10.8.3).

It works fine with the exception of Openmeta tags. When I sync a file (a pdf for example) the tags I set on the file are not preserved on the other computer. Is it possible to fix this? The tags are preserved if I sync via Dropbox or if I manually copy the file via a USB memory.

Sync doesn't support Openmeta tags. Reason is that Sync is cross platform and if you will synchronize is to Linux/Windows all openmeta tags will be lost

I understand that OpenMeta is just for OS X and I don't expect my tags to show up in a Windows machine. However Dropbox clearly supports OpenMeta - both in the sense that they are preserved when syncing, and that the application know a file has changed and syncs a new version even if it's only the Opemeta tags that have changed. Is it impossible to support this with BT sync because it is not centralized?

Consider this a feature request. I don’t know about other file systems, but the resource forks / metadata in HFS+ file systems should be preserved. Programmatically it could be done in a way where a client who does not understand them, just ignores or deletes them (it would be probably tough to store special FS data on incompatible FSes). This way people who live in an OS X only ecosystem could preserve everything until they connect at least one incompatible Windows / Linux node. That said, I don’t know how you currently sync files, so that I’m not the right person to judge the difficulty of this implementation.