Steps are following:

1. You need to find out your CPU type for NAS and download proper binaries;

2. Login to your NAS over SSH

3. Transfer binaries there

4. Unzip it

5. Made chmod +x ./btsync

6. Then in browser go to your_nas_ip:8888 and configure sync

Assuming you know nothing of Linux or SSH:

You will need the PowerPC (ppc) binary of btsync.

Copy the ppc btsync binary to the My Book Live. You can just copy it to one of the shared directories if you like.

You need to enable ssh on the MyBook Live by going to http://mybooklive/UI/ssh.

Download Putty.exe here: http://www.chiark.gr...y/download.html Now use putty to login to the Mybook Live with the username 'root' and the password 'welc0me' without the qoutes. Note the the 0 in welc0me is a zero.

Get root the root directory in putty with 'cd ..' without the quotes.

You can unzip the binary with gunzip. Let's say you moved the binary to the public share. Then the command would be 'gunzip /shares/Public/btsync_powerpc.tar.gz' without the quotes.

Now you make the binary executable with 'chmod +x /shares/Public/btsync' without the quotes.

Now you run the binary with '/shares/Public/./btsync' without the quotes.

It will look like nothing happened, but now you can get to the configuration by opening your browser as in number 6 above.

You will need to log back in with putty and restart btsync if the my book live is restarted unless you build a restart script. To restart with putty just login again and enter 'cd ..' then '/shares/Public/./btsync'

To be more correct from a Linux standpoint you could move the unzipped btsync binary to an appropriate system directory like /usr/sbin and run it from there, but for simplicity's sake, it will work just fine as described above.

Thank you for your replies especially RoyW, you were correct I don't know jack about Linux till now! The only issue I had was the 'gunzip /shares/Public/btsync_powerpc.tar.gz' coomand created a 'btsync_powerpc.tar' file so nothing beyond that worked, I just ran 7Zip and extracted the .Tar file to get the Btsync file out and then everything else work fine. So again thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, I agree that this was very helpful information. RoyW's explanation was excellent and necessary for me and worked once I realised what to do. :)

I have another question however. After getting everything installed and browsing to your_nas_ip:8888 and checking out settings etc. I created some folders on both my NAS, mac and PC. I had the files stored on the NAS, however nothing was happening for me and after a while I thought I would move them to the sync folder on the PC and then immediately they started syncing, however the NAS was left out of the sync.

I am completely sync'd between PC and mac, however the NAS seems to be left out of the process. I would be grateful of any help with this. It is a perfect solution for me if I can just get the NAS to sync as well.

If I need to post a new topic let me know, however as it would be related to this topic I thought best to have it here.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

From what i have seen in various posts I the processor type matters?  The WD 4TB i have uses )I Think) a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor.  This unit has had mixed reviews for speed and reliability but if there is a way to load BT SYNC on it I thought I would see how well it would perform.  Any advice on which version?  And does it matter what version of the OS it i running as I have seen some posts regarding problems here with the newest one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm new around here I can't find where I messed up.

I did everything alright to the last point where I'm supposed to type my NAS IP : 8888

I even get this message before that step

"BitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 13702. default port = 8888"

But my browser can't make a connection when going to my nas IP:8888

What am I doing wrong?

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I follow all the ways to install Bittorrent Sync. But none of the works for MybookLive 2tb.

I tried this:

--------------

wget https://gist.github.com/alexsarmiento/6407826/raw/install_btsync.sh
bash install_btsync.sh

--------------------

also this

teps are following:

1. You need to find out your CPU type for NAS and download proper binaries;
2. Login to your NAS over SSH
3. Transfer binaries there
4. Unzip it
5. Made chmod +x ./btsync
6. Then in browser go to your_nas_ip:8888 and configure sync

when I write the command chmod +x ./btsync i got the error menssage that :

bash: /shares/Public/btsync: cannot execute binary file

Please I will be really thankfull if somebody helps me!

Happy New Year!!!

Matheus

• 1 year later...

@Helen

Thank you for the link and the info; would 2.0.85 on MyBook Live (NAS) work together with a current copy of Resilio Sync Pro on my desktop (Win10Pro) to keep the copy of my relevant files/folders that resides on my NAS for backup/cloud access/sharing in sync with the originals residing on my desktop?

Frankly speaking 2.0.85 is not tested in the lab anymore, but technically these shall be compatible. The thing you need to keep an eye on - is 2.0.85 (well and other old versions) might have some unfixed issues which may interfere into your syncing, like some files not syncing ,etc.