Syncing frequency

mcmillab

BitTorrent Sync monitors files for changes in "real time" - the 10 minute interval that Automatic Coding refers to is simply a "fallback" interval, so should any changes not be picked up in "real time", BitTorrent Sync will automatically rescan folders anyway every 10 minutes. This "fallback" interval isn't currently configurable, but apparently will be in a future update.

BitTorrent Sync monitors files for changes in "real time" - the 10 minute interval that Automatic Coding refers to is simply a "fallback" interval, so should any changes not be picked up in "real time", BitTorrent Sync will automatically rescan folders anyway every 10 minutes. This "fallback" interval isn't currently configurable, but apparently will be in a future update.

I did mention the 'real time' folder watch in the latter half of my post.

thanks for the comments.

I'm using windows, and it seems some changes are not being picked up real-time, but are by the 10min rescan.

I think it would be useful in future to have a "sync now" option, ideally able to be executed via batch.

Pretty sure restarting the process causes in a sync when it starts, so:-

kill $PID
~/.sync/btsync --config ~/.sync/sync.conf

and that's your "Sync now" hackish way of doing it, although, I do agree a sync now option would be nice, although, I've had no issue with it detecting file changes (Linux).

thanks for the comments.

I'm using windows, and it seems some changes are not being picked up real-time, but are by the 10min rescan.

I think it would be useful in future to have a "sync now" option, ideally able to be executed via batch.

Selecting "Pause Syncing" followed by "Resume Syncing" from the tray context menu will also essentially trigger an "on demand" rescan

Much of what I do does not need sync in real time. How about a "sync between time A to time B" so I can set up a sync task during the night?

Both "scheduled sync" and the ability to set different upload/download rates at different times of the day, etc are features that have been requested a number of times in the "wishlist thread", so the developers are aware of this desire

Guest AnnSnark

Real-time monitoring works on all the platforms (delay on file change is 10 seconds). The only exception is OS X 10.6 where real-time sync can be delayed due to certain system limitations.

Edit: and yes, checking time is not configurable

• 1 month later...

I've a NAS to store files that won't changed frequently, and the motor of fan is hibernated during the idle time(5 min without IO), to reduce the power and noise.

When it receive IO request, the motor of fan start to run and after 15 sec, the file system is readable.

So, if the interval is set to 10 min, my NAS nearly always works in full speed and make a lot of noise.

:(

• 3 months later...