Sync External Drive

ncompass

Thank you for the reply... because I am new to all this... pointers on how to do this would be really helpful.

Unless I'm not gathering what you're asking, it's simple as syncing to any other folder, here's a photo of my syncing to my 2nd hard-drive:-

MdsZsQY.png

Offtopic:- reason it's called "ABC" is because apparently whenever I tried to use no-name for my partition the program I was using to format it returned "Please enter a name", so, I just put anything in.

Just select the external drive in the dropdown. I presume I must be missing something, because, it's not a very hard question (Just select where you want it downloaded).

I think the question may be; is it possible to sync a folder on an internal drive to a folder on an external drive connected to the SAME computer? - in which case, no you can't sync a folder from one location to another location on the same computer

I think the question may be; is it possible to sync a folder on an internal drive to a folder on an external drive connected to the SAME computer? - in which case, no you can't sync a folder from one location to another location on the same computer

Oohh, in that case, no, you can't do that. However, I guess you could do something with rsync and inotify to do it?

Yes that is what I was trying to do. I like to sync to an external ( USB) drive on the same PC, then Sync to a remote too. The sync to remote takes a long time, whereas the Sync to USB connected HHD would be very fast.

I guess I can use another network PC as the "Host" for the USB HDD and then at least I would have 1 gig transfer.

Few if any cloud services can sync to a external HDD, this has been an issue for a long time... I was hoping BTSync would do it... the main issue is you can't get the required software to 'install' on the external HDD. (Think usb plug in drive or similar).

The best I have found so far (for Windows) is SyncToy - but that needs to be scheduled to run periodically - it's not syncing as files are changed as cloud services and I assume BTSync does...

Backing up to an external HDD is all very well, but it is not what most people want, nor do people want to have to manual transfer files to an external. So what is the simple tool that does this for you. I just want a straight replication of my chosen files and folders on my Hard Drive on an External Drive.

If I can then sync further afield to other devices so much the better.

I just want a straight replication of my chosen files and folders on my Hard Drive on an External Drive.

If I can then sync further afield to other devices so much the better.

Do keep in mind, of course, that the primary purpose of BitTorrent Sync is as a file "synchronization" utility, designed to keep your files in sync across a number of devices, rather than a "backup" utility to backup a computer to an external storage medium.

Maybe in time more backup-orientated options and abilities will be introduced into BitTorrent Sync, but I think the main focus at the present time is more on synchronization.

Can you make a windows version that is portable so we can actually sync a usb key content once we plug it in and (auto)launch the btsync portable app it holds

This has already been previously requested in the "Wishlist" thread and another of other threads by users.

In addition, another user has reportedly found a "workaround" to make BitTorrent Sync "portable" here, although this is untested/unsupported

Hello,

my plan was to use a Raspberry pi with a 2 TB HDD connected via USB as Cloud storage.

I installed it and I can reach the gui.

However if I try to configure a folder on the external HDD it tells me that I don't have permissions to write.

I attached a screenshot. post-24162-0-61388700-1367256697_thumb.p

Could somebody please tell me why i don't have permission to write on the drive and how I can change it?

Yes, I am a noob when it comes to Linux :unsure:

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

my plan was to use a Raspberry pi with a 2 TB HDD connected via USB as Cloud storage.

I installed it and I can reach the gui.

However if I try to configure a folder on the external HDD it tells me that I don't have permissions to write.

I attached a screenshot. post-24162-0-61388700-1367256697_thumb.p

Could somebody please tell me why i don't have permission to write on the drive and how I can change it?

Yes, I am a noob when it comes to Linux :unsure:

Thank you in advance.

For starters, that's a windows disk, it'll work, just notifying you in case you want to reformat it.

Anyway, one way would be to just run btsync with "sudo" before it, which runs you as a superuser that has quite a few more permissions, other than that, just give yourself permission to write to said file. I'm also very new to linux, however, google around for "fstab" options.

You need to make sure you're mounting the disk with permissions of the user under which you're running btsync. See 'man mount.cifs' for the options. I don't know what sort of behavior to expect if you mount from GUI.

Alternative, and probably easier, is to reformat the drive with ext4.

I do think that it'd be nice (probably with a sanity-check warning) to use btsync to sync to a folder that appears to be on the same computer - even though it may be a mapped drive to a system where, for whatever reason, btsync cannot be installed (I'm thinking things like remote web directory over mounted over ssh on a server you don't control, or even a NAS drive on a NAS that can't run btsync, but can be mapped to a local computer)

• 2 months later...

I think that BTSync developers should allow us to run multiple instances of the application to overcome this limitation. As an example, I'm using it to sync folders across 3 PCs at home, but I also have a USB drive which contains a backup. When I connect it to one of the PCs, I could just run the portable version and do the sync, but this is not allowed since BTSync is already running there.