BitTorrent Sync FAQ *unofficial*

I've been reading a bit on the forum but i still have two questions about the "versioning"

1. Is it possible to also store file version on the same machine that changed the file? (if i accidentally overwrite a file, do i always have to go and get it on a different device?)

2. The Syncarchive folder keeps a copy of old versions, for as long as 30 days, but is there also a way of limiting the amount of different versions of a file Sync keeps? (i want to limit the syncarchive to only the 100 lasts versions of a file that changes about 50 times per day)

But apart from all this, massive thanks for a great product!

M

1. Is it possible to also store file version on the same machine that changed the file?

Not currently - probably a suggestion for the Feature Request forum.

2. The Syncarchive folder keeps a copy of old versions, for as long as 30 days...

It can also keep files for longer/shorter periods if you increase/decrease the value of the "sync_trash_ttl" setting

...but is there also a way of limiting the amount of different versions of a file Sync keeps?

Not currently - again, probably a suggestion for the Feature Request forum.

I am new as of this morning so this question may have already been asked.  If so, sorry for the duplication.

I need to know if Sync is a one way sync or a two way sync.  It is critcal that it is not a two way sync and before I sync critical data I need to make sure.

Thank you,

Bret

I need to know if Sync is a one way sync or a two way sync.  It is critcal that it is not a two way sync and before I sync critical data I need to make sure.

Syncs can be "one way" or "multi way" depending upon the type of "Secret" you use.

A "Read Only" secret will allow files to sync from Device A to Device B, but not from Device B back to Device A. (i.e. changes on Device B are ignored and won't propagate back to Device A)

A "Full Access" secret will allow files to sync both ways Device A and Device B

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to put in a secret and then if it doesn't resolve, it will ask if you want to keep trying every x minutes? That would be nice. I'm trying to get GBs of files from my family's computer to my laptop (1000+ miles away) and I don't know when they'll turn on the computer, but it'd be nice if I could leave my laptop running and eventually get the files.

For now I'll probably write a simple and dirty bash script to keep trying it every minute.

It is possible to put in a secret and then if it doesn't resolve, it will ask if you want to keep trying every x minutes? That would be nice. I'm trying to get GBs of files from my family's computer to my laptop (1000+ miles away) and I don't know when they'll turn on the computer, but it'd be nice if I could leave my laptop running and eventually get the files.

For now I'll probably write a simple and dirty bash script to keep trying it every minute.

Sync automatically does this!!

If you enter a secret into Sync and all other devices with the same secret are currently offline, once those devices come back online, your Sync will automatically start syncing - you don't need to do anything!

Sync automatically does this!!

If you enter a secret into Sync and all other devices with the same secret are currently offline, once those devices come back online, your Sync will automatically start syncing - you don't need to do anything!

Yeah I just realized that. My problem was I didn't realize I had to enter a destination folder and misinterpreted the error. Thanks, it's working fine now.

Lets say you have a group of machines both laptops and desktop devices. 

Lets say Bob leaves the company or his laptop/desktop gets stolen. How could I protect the data without revoking everyone access

The only work around for this could be Bittorrent Sync with Windows inbuilt encryption feature Bitlocker turned on.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I installed Btsync on my RPI which runs OpenElec 4.

The Btsync service is running but when I try to use the webui it returns a Connection Refused error on Chrome.

The service is using the default 0.0.0.0:8888 listening port which should work.

I have searched a lot on the web about this issue but I didn't found a solution yet.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Hugo

Which version of sync do you use? By default webui listens only loopback interfaces. So you'll need to start sync with "--webui.listen <IP:port>" switch to force webui to bind to necessary interface. See here for more details.

Thanks for the answer. I got it to work.

Now my only issue is how to start the sync service on boot.

I have an Openelec which doesn't allow me to edit anything on the /etc/ folder (or any other system folder) so I'm stuck with an autostart.sh file, which is ok, but I didn't found a piece of code that will start btsync on boot using this autostart.sh.

Hopefully someone here has the same setup and is able to help me... It would be highly apreciated :)

• 3 months later...

Will BitTorrent Sync remain free, or will they start charging for it once it comes out of beta?

BitTorrent Sync will remain free! :)

From BitTorrent:

"If tomorrow we want to charge you $100 for 10Kb transferred, stop everything related to the app or try to force you not to use BitTorrent Sync, we just physically can't achieve that!

BitTorrent Sync will work tomorrow exactly like it works today, no matter what we will do. And it will work exactly like today even 10 years from now, of course, if we will have computers in future :)" (Source)

...and in publicising the start of the "beta" phase on 17 July 2013, the team commented: "And don’t worry. BitTorrent Sync is still free, simple to use, and secure. Pretty awesome, huh?"

Hello,

I am new user of BTSync. I read a lot last few days about features and possibilities to use. A lot of articles show me why BTSync is the best resolution for me. Then I realized that free version is limited to ten directories. It mean that you change your mind as many others companies (look to the source). I am scared that after year of using you will change mind again and only 1 directories will be synchronized for free.

I said about this change because it is really important and you couldn't said that free functionality is the same. a lot of people write that they had solution synchronize many small directories (laptops, tablets, phones of family) on own NAS. Now, its is change and not possible. What next?

Maybe asking about it will be stupid, but 40$/year is almost the same price like CrashPlan, Carbonite, Amazon Cloud Drive. Of course it is other and slover solution, but much cheaper for many people (remember about NAS + HDD + power).