BitTorrent Sync FAQ *unofficial*

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, please help me to understand. What does this mean? I speak English poorly. I'm from Russia and nallazhivayu file sharing BitTorrent Sync.

ec65db87e594.png

Explain the points. Thank you.

Explanation from BitTorrent Sync User Guide:

"disk_low_priority sets priority for the file operations on disc. If set to false, Sync will perform read and write file operations with the highest speed and priority which can result in degradation of performance for other applications. 

folder_rescan_interval (seconds) sets a time interval for rescanning sync folders. This serves as an additional measure for detecting changes in file system.

lan_encrypt_data - if set to true, will use encryption in the local network.

lan_use_tcp - if set to true, Sync will use TCP instead of UDP in local network.

max_file_size_diff_for_patching (MB) determines a size difference between versions of one file for patching. When it is reached or exceeded, the file will be updated by downloading missing chunks of information (patches). Updates for a file with a smaller size difference will be downloaded as separate files. 

max_file_size_for_versioning (MB) determines maximum file size for creating file versions. When this size is exceeded, versions will not be created to save space on disk.difference will be downloaded as separate files.

ate_limit_local_peers applies speed limits to the peers in local network. By default the 

limits are not applied in LAN. 

sync_max_time_diff (seconds) shows maximum allowed time difference between devices. If the difference exceeds this limit, the devices will not be synced as it may result in incorrect tracing of file changes.

sync_trash_ttl (days) sets the number of days after reaching which files will be automatically deleted from the .SyncArchive folder. "

hi, i'm a new user.  Bittorrent Sync looks like a great development in de-centralizing info.  

I have a couple of questions:

1: how does Bittorrent Sync handle synching across different time zones?

2: how does Bittorrent Sync deal with files which have incompatible filenames over different file systems?

3: as users, we should assume that any system that is secure, but Closed Source will be subverted.  Will Bittorrent Sync become Open Source?

i have another novice question.

How does BTSync deal with files that become corrupt at a location.  (Eg. a file becomes corrupt, say, on a mobile's SD card, but the file's timestamp doesn't change)?

(My assumption is, BTSync doesn't deal with this, but it's worth checking. .. maybe there's some magical system of periodically comparing checksums or something)

Hello I am a new user to BitTorrent Sync and love the product it's very simple and I am keeping 1.5 TB of data synced between 3 computers (2 PC and 1 Mac).  I just added Android to the mix and am seeing mixed results.  For files under 4GB there is no problem syncing to and from Android.  Files over 4GB does not seem to by syncing from or to Android.  I have tried both internal storage and microSD card.  Is this a defect in BitTorrent Sync?  I am using desktop version 1.2.67 and Andriod version 1.2.7.

Hello I am a new user to BitTorrent Sync and love the product it's very simple and I am keeping 1.5 TB of data synced between 3 computers (2 PC and 1 Mac).  I just added Android to the mix and am seeing mixed results.  For files under 4GB there is no problem syncing to and from Android.  Files over 4GB does not seem to by syncing from or to Android.  I have tried both internal storage and microSD card.  Is this a defect in BitTorrent Sync?  I am using desktop version 1.2.67 and Andriod version 1.2.7.

Firstly, I'll assume that you have the necessary free space on your Android device? (i.e. 4GB)

..in which case, it's likely to be down to the format of your microSD card. For example, under FAT32, the maximum allowed size of an individual file is approximately 4GB. This would explain why you're unable to sync files larger than 4GB.

Firstly, I'll assume that you have the necessary free space on your Android device? (i.e. 4GB)

..in which case, it's likely to be down to the format of your microSD card. For example, under FAT32, the maximum allowed size of an individual file is approximately 4GB. This would explain why you're unable to sync files larger than 4GB.

Internal is ext3 formatted and I have 23GB free, external microSD is formatted exfat which can handle > 4gb files, I have several files on there > 10gb.  MicroSD card is 64 GB in size and I have 34GB free so it's not a space issue or file system issue.  PC will try to transfer but nothing is transferred I see 0 kB/s up and down.  

Some countries are crazy when it comes to punishing torrent users, and some users want to be a bit extra prepared just to be on the safe side. Some people prefer their personal privacy. 

Lets just say if someone for instance where an active TPB user, downloading american shows, but don't want to be detected by people who wishes to cause problems.

Would this scenario be a safe way to hide behind the radar?:

1: Use a browser through a proxy, for instance Tor to look on TPB for desired torrents.

2: Use an anonymous vps, which has a torrent client installed and web UI to add the torrents and download them on the VPS. 

3: Transfer the media file after torrent is completed using BitTorrent Sync to my personal computer to enjoy the show.

Is this a secure solution, or do you recommend something else?

Hi! I'm a new Sync user, and I'm having trouble with synching.

- Principal PC is Ubuntu Linux 64 bits with 1.2 TB free space and a sync folder with 100,000 files using 26 GB of space

- Second PC is virtualized Windows 7 on the Ubuntu PC (using VirtualBox), with 30 GB free space and a reduced version if this sync folder with 7 GB

Problem is that they are not synching! They can see each other, even on the network I can write from one PC to the other and viceversa, and if I create a new file then this is replicated on the other PC, but the existing files are not! and I'm now more than 24 hours trying to synch. What happens? Whay doesn't synch both directories? On host PC it shows 18.3 GB for upload, and on client PC it shows the same number for download, but files are not synching.

Logs doesn't show nothing abnormal, no errors either. I'm uning all default values, and version is 1.2.73 on both PCs.

Hi! I'm a new Sync user, and I'm having trouble with synching.

- Principal PC is Ubuntu Linux 64 bits with 1.2 TB free space and a sync folder with 100,000 files using 26 GB of space

- Second PC is virtualized Windows 7 on the Ubuntu PC (using VirtualBox)

The problem is likely with the network configuration of your "virtualized" Windows 7 machine i.e. is it "sharing" the connection of the host machine, or does it have its own IP address? If so, is this on the same subnet as the host machine? What about your firewall? Is that allowing your virtualized Windows 7 machine to make connections through the port you've set Sync to use? etc - there are many things to check, but I would suggest the issue will likely be due to a configuration issue with your "virtualized" machine

I think that most of the questions are answered in my previous post:

I VM machine where on different subnetwork then it wouldn't see my host PC from Guest and vice versa, and I've said that both (phisical and virtual) can communicate and share files using the network. Of course they are on same net (192.168.1.X) and the virtual machine is configured with "bridged" connection, so there are full read/write access between them.

The sync port is the default when installing, and the fact that they see each other is one thing I've commented in my previous post:

"On host PC it shows 18.3 GB for upload, and on client PC it shows the same number for download"

So if they can't see each other, how can host and client know the size each one have to upload/download (18.3 GB of 26 GB total)

As I said, only some files are synched, but not the majority.

The state information of connected devices on the Linux host shows the Windows 7 guest machine name, and the state info on the guest show the name of the Linux host.

What can be the problem? Is there any info I can get to help diagnose? And why if I create a new file in that directory *it is* synched on the other machine? (I've also commented this on previous post)

Thanks.-

• 2 weeks later...

You wrote that support for X86 Android devices is comming soon. I haven't found any news about that. Is there any?

Yeah, the developers indicated back in July that x86 Android support would be added "in the next versions", but I've not heard anything further on this front.

If you've found a non-compatible Android device, I'd suggest you resurrect this thread

Hi,

I have read the faq and the marketing things, but I have some questions... 

1, where are the files stored if not on servers? 

- if on computers of other bittorrent sync users, then what is the disk size, that is used on my computer to store strangers' files? 

- if not on other people's machine, then how can I access files, if my pc is turned off? E.g. Home I copy a file to shared folder, then I turn off the compouter. Go to the office, turn on my computer and open the shared folder, how will it show the uploaded file? 

- if I cant shutdown my computer until my company pc dowlnoads file, then what is the difference between BT sync and any other kind of file sharing? 

Torrent has the feature, that files are on different places, and if 10 users shares the same file and I can download 10k/s from each, then totaly 100k/s will the download speed... In case of my home computer has a 5M upload bandwith, and company has 20M download, then my full download speed not avaiable... 

Please answer my questions, because I don't see how does it work or what are the advantages compared to a VPN between my devices, or a dropbox like share... 

Thanks,

Zsolt

Hi,

I have read the faq and the marketing things, but I have some questions... 

1, where are the files stored if not on servers? 

- if on computers of other bittorrent sync users, then what is the disk size, that is used on my computer to store strangers' files? 

- if not on other people's machine, then how can I access files, if my pc is turned off? E.g. Home I copy a file to shared folder, then I turn off the compouter. Go to the office, turn on my computer and open the shared folder, how will it show the uploaded file? 

- if I cant shutdown my computer until my company pc dowlnoads file, then what is the difference between BT sync and any other kind of file sharing? 

Torrent has the feature, that files are on different places, and if 10 users shares the same file and I can download 10k/s from each, then totaly 100k/s will the download speed... In case of my home computer has a 5M upload bandwith, and company has 20M download, then my full download speed not avaiable... 

Please answer my questions, because I don't see how does it work or what are the advantages compared to a VPN between my devices, or a dropbox like share... 

Thanks,

Zsolt

Zsolt,

Files are stores on YOUR DEVICES only - they are not stored in a "cloud" or on random strangers computers - you control access to your files.

Dropbox is a "cloud" storage solution - BitTorrent Sync isn't.

With Sync you retain complete control over your files and they are never stored on servers/devices you don't want them to be stored on. In addition, Dropbox only allows you to sync one central folder, whereas Sync will allow you to sync any/multiple folders across your devices.

If all your devices are off, you will not be able to access your files with Sync as they are not stored in a "cloud" anywhere.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking when you talk about "full download speed". If you're syncing a file between multiple devices, under normal usage, each device will be able to send and receive "chunks" of data from all other devices, meaning you'll transfer/receive files a lot faster than something like Dropbox where all files have to first be sync'd to a central "Cloud" storage run by Dropbox, before they are then disseminated to your other devices. In essence, Sync is a LOT faster than dropbox, and the more of your devices you share between with Sync, the faster the transfers will be! The only limit in terms of speed when receiving files will be your available bandwidth.

So, in summary, Dropbox is primary a "cloud storage" solution, Sync is primarily a "file synchronization" solution. Sync is faster than Dropbox.

If you wish to have access to your files even when your devices are "off", you will need a NAS drive,home server, or some other "always on" device running Sync.

I guess you could think of Bitsync as having 2 parts, a PC to PC VPN for file copying only and a file synch system with some advanced data compression / synching.

I'm hoping that Bitsync becomes the basis for a PC to PC VPN which will allow more than just file sharing, I'd like to see printer sharing and remote control using RDC or VNC programs.

This would remove or reduce the chances of you-know-who being able to sniff / monitor commercial VPN connections.

• 3 weeks later...

Some countries are crazy when it comes to punishing torrent users, and some users want to be a bit extra prepared just to be on the safe side. Some people prefer their personal privacy. 

Lets just say if someone for instance where an active TPB user, downloading american shows, but don't want to be detected by people who wishes to cause problems.

Would this scenario be a safe way to hide behind the radar?:

1: Use a browser through a proxy, for instance Tor to look on TPB for desired torrents.

2: Use an anonymous vps, which has a torrent client installed and web UI to add the torrents and download them on the VPS. 

3: Transfer the media file after torrent is completed using BitTorrent Sync to my personal computer to enjoy the show.

Is this a secure solution, or do you recommend something else?

I will assume you are living in a supressed regime, or it is a non-government entity that hassle you for your bittorenting and that what you are downloading from TPB is Bick Buck Bunny and old Wikipedia dumps. The reason you want privacy is a moot point, privacy is a human right, and I am all about enabling people to enforce their universal human rights.

Lets just say those american shows are in the public domain, and is about Kim Jung Ill, and that you live in North Korea and would get in trouble for downloading something that could potentially be unflattering for the great leader.

I would suggest one of the following setups:

1. Obtain a server or access to any computer that will let you install a bittorrent client and BTSync. Then you set up the bittorrent client with a watch folder and set it up to move finished downloads to a different folder. Then you setup to BTSync shares, one for the watch folder (it only needs read for this folder, I am not certain how torrent clients react to partial torrent files), and one for the finished downloads folder. For the finished download folder I suggest you grab the keys from this random blog that may store your keys for whatever purposes. That would enable you to have the encrypted read-only secret. Now you add the encrypted read-only secret in your home BTSync client. I would not trust that website to generate keys for anything secret, but he does not appear to be working for north korea. If you belive he does you could always just manually encrypt files (way too much effort for the offchance the blogger is working for north korea) using whatever tools your platform supports.

Then you just access TPB from a the closest Starbucks, or through a proxy, get the .torrent file you wish to download (remeber to check if the license permits sharing of the work, you wouldn't want to comitt a crime), and put it in the BTSync for the watch folder. Then when the download finishes, BTSync at home will download the encrypted version, when it finishes you unplug the computer, start a second BTsync, and give it the read-only or read-write secret (I would give it the read-only secret). If you do this right, and the great leaders hunchmen come to inspect your comptuer because of suspicious bittorrent traffic, you can show them your computer with an encrypted share that you are unable to open, plausible deniability (would work as a defence against a penal crime, but you would possible be screwed in a civil suit, at least in Norway, my knowledge on North Korean law is a bit rusty). And be sure to remove the torrent files from the watch share after the torrent client is sure to have checked it (some monitors the folder and adds it immediatly, some check at specified intervals, if it checks at specified intervals, make it check every five minutes or something). You obviously have to hide the read-only secret somehow, and even if they catch you with it, that wouldn't be a proof you created it, or intended to download it (the sender could have provided you the read-only secret after you unknowingly downloaded it). Also make sure you pay for the VPS with a prepaid VISA, and set it up using the wifi of the local StarBucks.

I planned to add more possibilities but I feel my elaborate explanation is more than sufficient.

Hi and Happy New Year to all.I have a little problem with Bittorrent Sync and I think you could help me with some advice - to summarize,the problem is that when I start the program at both PC's,the wifi network stops working and disconnects after the syncronization starts  :(

Hi and Happy New Year to all.I have a little problem with Bittorrent Sync and I think you could help me with some advice - to summarize,the problem is that when I start the program at both PC's,the wifi network stops working and disconnects after the syncronization starts  :(

A very Happy New Year to you too, saruman! :)

Sounds to me like it's a problem with your router not being able to handle the amount of traffic that Sync is generating. I'd suggest rate limiting your Sync connections (Preferences -> Limit download rate/Limit upload rate) to see if this resolves your issue as well as checking your router settings (that it's not "banning" client's that "flood" the network with excessive traffic, for example). Your router log may also give an indication as to the nature of the issue - either way, the problem will be caused by your router.

Hi,GreatMarko,

Thanks so much for the kind and quick response,you really helped me showing the door and saved me plenty of time - the problems turned out to be in the router security settings (do not choose Chinese stuff(Dlink)),and the encryption of the data - Do not use Wap-Psk security if you'd like to "flood" the home network  :D  ,I think that some low level of security is pretty enough unless you live in a hacker's hood  :)

Best regards,

Christo

Edited by saruman