BitTorrent Sync FAQ *unofficial*

Will me devices still sync when switched off?
BitTorrent Sync is not a cloud storage solution like SkyDrive/DropBox/GDrive, etc - it doesn't sync your files to a "cloud", therefore for one device to sync with another, both devices need to be online.

If you require an always-on "cloud" functionality for Sync, there are a number of companies now offering dedicated BitTorrent Sync solutions, some of which you'll find listed here

Is this also true if Bittorrent Sync is running as a service on a server, and we are syncing a shared folder on the servers Drive?

If so, will there be a way in the future to be able to sync with a logged off server with shared drives?

By Logged off, I mean, press start, log off.

Our servers are never off either, they are always running, even tho they may not be logged in...

Still doesn't allow us to sync the shared folder on the server that is assigned to the bittorrent sync.

At present, Sync doesn't natively support being installed/run as a windows "service", however, until such native support comes, there are some workarounds to get Sync running as a service on your Windows machine.

Once Sync is running as a service, it will be able to run even when you're logged on (as long as the machine itself is still on, and the folder you're syncing still accessible)

• 4 weeks later...

To whom it may concern

I have been developing some application with BT Sync API.

One thing I wonder, is there an Web API for 'Restore modified files to original version' which you can see this

property only under 'read-only' folder.

I would like to set this property through the API, however I couldn't find out it anywhere according to the API reference.

http://www.bittorrent.com/intl/ko/sync/developers/api

Please kindly give me your help.

Edited by Young

One thing I wonder, is there an Web API for 'Restore modified files to original version' which you can see this

property only under 'read-only' folder.

I would like to set this property through the API, however I couldn't find out it anywhere according to the API reference.

The API "Wishlist" thread may be found here. Also, for questions specific to the API, we now have a dedicated Developers forum :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, GreatMarko,

Thank you for this extremely helpful Unofficial FAQ. I am a new user, and trying to understand how it works. I have gone through the forum as much as I could, but if this issue has been answered, pardon me.

It is about having to leave the devices on ... One post addressed it and you answered:

In answer to Zsolesz, on 07 Dec 2013 - 02:52 AM, you said:

If all your devices are off, you will not be able to access your files with Sync as they are not stored in a "cloud" anywhere.

My questions are ...

# 1: what about the automatic scan and sync the app does every 10 minutes or so? Do we have to keep the devices on "literally" always on to have that function working?

I am syncing 2 devices at home to keep them sync ALL THE TIME. Some file folders have been connected and syncing. If I turn off, or put it to the "sleep" mode (they are Mac), either of my computers once, do I have to re-program the sync again? OR will the app resume the scan and sync when the computer gets back on again?

# 2: In case I am sending a file to someone, so, it means that I will have to text, e-mail, or call that person and say, "Hey, I am sending you this file and here is the secret, so turn your device on NOW!" then send it ... correct?

BitTorrent Sync is not a cloud service ... I understand. The file traffic never stops on the way, they just go through your server ... right? But, I am really having a trouble understanding this concept of "leaving machines on" and how the sync works ... Thank you for explaining it for me, who is not a geek, in more detail.

Great service! Just what I needed ... have posted the link on Facebook already B)

Olivia

Hi Olivia,
Thanks for your post & questions!

Essentially, if your devices are "off", Sync won't work. Therefore, in order for files to "transfer" to another device, both devices need to be "on".

In relation to indexing - again, devices have to be on for Sync to "index" a folder. However, it's quite safe to turn off your computer - then the next time you turn it on/start Sync, it will resume its indexing of the folder.

So in answer to your questions:

# 1: what about the automatic scan and sync the app does every 10 minutes or so? Do we have to keep the devices on "literally" always on to have that function working?

Yes, your devices need to be on & Sync needs to be running for the "rescan every 10 minutes" function to take place.

I am syncing 2 devices at home to keep them sync ALL THE TIME. Some file folders have been connected and syncing. If I turn off, or put it to the "sleep" mode (they are Mac), either of my computers once, do I have to re-program the sync again? OR will the app resume the scan and sync when the computer gets back on again?

It very much depends upon what you mean by "turn off", as this is different to "Sleep". It also depends upon whether you've configured Sync to run automatically at system startup.

If you mean "turn off", and you don't have Sync set to automatically run at start up, then yes, when you turn your computer back on, you'll then need to also manually start Sync.

If you mean "turn off", but Sync is set to automatically run at start up, then when you turn your computer back on, Sync will load and resume from where it left off then the device was shut down.

If you mean "Sleep" (or "Hibernate"), then regarldess of whether Sync is set to automatically run at start up or not, as long as Sync was running when your put your machine to "Sleep", it will carry on when you "Wake" your computer (providing the network connection is the same - if you've changed wi-fi networks, or your computer's IP changes between being put to "Sleep" and woken up, you may need to restart Sync)

# 2: In case I am sending a file to someone, so, it means that I will have to text, e-mail, or call that person and say, "Hey, I am sending you this file and here is the secret, so turn your device on NOW!" then send it ... correct?

Correct!

BitTorrent Sync is not a cloud service ... I understand. The file traffic never stops on the way, they just go through your server ... right? But, I am really having a trouble understanding this concept of "leaving machines on" and how the sync works ... Thank you for explaining it for me, who is not a geek, in more detail.

With "cloud" based Sync, with computer A and computer B, files go from computer A to a "cloud" and then to computer B. Therefore, once files have be sent from computer A to the "cloud", computer A could then be switched off, and computer B could still obtain the files, as they're in the cloud.

With BitTorrent Sync, there is no "cloud" therefore, for computer A to send files to computer B, both computers must be on at the same time. If computer A is off, computer B won't receive the files until computer A comes back online.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Hope that makes sense! :)

Very comprehensive ... Thank you. I understand it much better!

Perhaps ... you could add what you told me to your original "Unofficial FAQ" or the "Official FAQ" about "on and off" thing and the need to launch the app at the start up to keep them syncing, lots of non-geek users like me would appreciate it ... and reduce you work load  ;) The FAQ says, "You must leave the machine on," but I was like ... HUH? We have questions that you may not even imagine ... :lol: Blessings!

Olivia

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have installed bittorrent sync for linux, but when I try to view the current transfers or transfer history, it says this API is not implemented. What does this mean?

This does mean, that currently I am not able to implement the visualization of the current file transfers and of the transfer history in the UI (these features are present in the Windows and Mac OSX version) since the BitTorrent Sync core application does not provide a suitable API for getting the required information. The developers of BotTorrent Sync know about my wishes, and I hope that after the release of version 1.3, there will be also an API improvement.

Do not worry. These two tabs are not really important, since they only display detailed status information. All really important functions, are implemented.

Oh, ok. I interpreted it as though I were missing something on my end to make it happen. Thanks

I think that in the next version I will hide that page in order to avoid such misunderstandings...

Other question: are you satisfied with btsync-gui? In which environment are you using it? I'm still collecting feedback. I see that there are quite good download rates, but I'm wondering I'm getting so few feedback...

Perhaps because it simply works? :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK so it turns out and Archive folder does not store the deleted contents.

If a parent Sync folder is deleted then there is an error that bitsync cannot find folder and further syncing does not occur.

The last data is retained which is good.

I tried this on a win7 machine but I expect the results would be the same on linux.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

I have a question about backing up from one device to more than one device.

Let's say I have on device A my files and I want to share them with Friends (devices B + C +...). So I use the BackUp function an give them the read-only-key. Are the files only uploaded from my device or are the other devices uploading their parts too?

I have a question about backing up from one device to more than one device.

Let's say I have on device A my files and I want to share them with Friends (devices B + C +...). So I use the BackUp function an give them the read-only-key. Are the files only uploaded from my device or are the other devices uploading their parts too?

Read-Only devices with the same Secret can share data between them also!