Can't sync mounted drives in Linux

Buck

I mount network drives on Linux that end up mounted under the user's home directory under .gvfs

That directory is hidden and can't even be selected via the menu.

I've tried hard coding the directory in the conf file, but it doesn't show up when I start the program.

I've also tried creating a symbolic link with a non-hidden directory name but that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions for a work-around?

I just tried syncing a hidden directory (~/.test) specified in configuration file and it's working fine for me. If you hard code the directory in the configuration file then the web UI should be disabled, what do you mean "it doesn't show up when I start the program"? I assume you're passing the configuration filename to the btsync binary?

Edit: also, there might be some problems with detecting file changes on a mounted filesystem, but the ten-minute fallback sync interval should still work.

GVFS uses FUSE to make directories visible to programs not using the Gnome framework, mounted under ~/.gvfs or /run/user/${USER}/gvfs (at least that's what it's doing for me since the last Ubuntu upgrade). FUSE mounted file systems (similar to NFS) generally are more restrictive with regards to user access. You can usually not override permissions by just being root, and even if the file system permissions would allow other users access, this is filtered by FUSE which by default prevents access to users other than the mounting user.

You didn't specify, but I suspect it will only work if you start the btsync client as exactly the same user that used GVFS. (Or find some way to relax the FUSE options, see man mount.fuse, but I'm not sure that will work with GVFS.)

--

Henryk Plötz

Grüße aus Berlin