very slow sync between W7 and XBMCbuntu

phant

First of all, does XBMCbuntu not support SMB shares?

mount.smb 192.168.0.2:/PiratedTVShows/ ~/Mount

Second of all, wouldn't plex & sickbeard be better?

http://plexapp.com/

http://sickbeard.com/

Last of all, what's the read speed of the windows PC, write speed of the ubuntu PC, and network speed?

You can test it like this:-

Read speed windows:-

No idea

Write speed ubuntu:-

dd if=/dev/zero of=~/TestFile bs=1024 count=1048576

Network speed:-

Ubuntu's side:-

iperf -s

Window's side (if windows supports iperf, else, no idea):-

iperf -c UbuntusIP

First of all, does XBMCbuntu not support SMB shares?

mount.smb 192.168.0.2:/PiratedTVShows/ ~/Mount

Second of all, wouldn't plex & sickbeard be better?

http://plexapp.com/

http://sickbeard.com/

Last of all, what's the read speed of the windows PC, write speed of the ubuntu PC, and network speed?

You can test it like this:-

Read speed windows:-

No idea

Write speed ubuntu:-

dd if=/dev/zero of=~/TestFile bs=1024 count=1048576

Network speed:-

Ubuntu's side:-

iperf -s

Window's side (if windows supports iperf, else, no idea):-

iperf -c UbuntusIP

(I do have plexapp. I have both xbmc and plex on that server (plex for streaming shows to my tablet and phone, xbmc because it's easier to manage when watching things on the LCD TV on which my server is connected to HDMI). + sickbeard does seem interesting, my only fear is it's going to mess up my auto subtitles finder.)

I need bittorrent sync for other things that I use my server for.

So here's the info:

iperf -s (Ubuntu's side)

------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)

Network speed (Windows side)

connect failed: Connection refused

Write speed (Ubuntu side)

475914240 bytes (476 MB) copied, 18.0423 s, 26.4 MB/s

Write speed windows (didn't check)

(my internet speed is 50/50 mbit/s)

(I do have plexapp. I have both xbmc and plex on that server (plex for streaming shows to my tablet and phone, xbmc because it's easier to manage when watching things on the LCD TV on which my server is connected to HDMI). + sickbeard does seem interesting, my only fear is it's going to mess up my auto subtitles finder.)

I need bittorrent sync for other things that I use my server for.

So here's the info:

iperf -s (Ubuntu's side)

Network speed (Windows side)

connect failed: Connection refused

Write speed (Ubuntu side)

475914240 bytes (476 MB) copied, 18.0423 s, 26.4 MB/s

Write speed windows (didn't check)

(my internet speed is 50/50 mbit/s)

First of all, may I ask what you like about XBMC that plex doesn't have?

Second of all, XBMC (I believe) has a plex addon that allows you to use your plex server as a library.

Third of all, I have sickbeard with Periscope (Subtitle downloader) working fine. I had to modify a few configuration files of sickbeard to get it to run as an extra script, but, it all works.

Anyway, as for the stats:-

Network speed Ubuntu side:- Invalid data, you need the windows PC to connect to do the test.

Network speed Windows side:- Are you sure you're connecting to the right IP? Can you ping said IP? Is Iperf running on Ubuntu when you execute it on windows?

Write speed (Ubuntu):- Not great, but more than enough for bitsync. This more than likely isn't the issue.

Read speed (Windows):- N/A

Internet speed is 50/50:- I assume this is your down/up link to your ISP? If so, useless data. All data is transmitted inside your closed LAN network (I assume this is a LAN network? Else you need to port forward port 5001 on the NAT device that the Ubuntu device is on for the iperf test) , no data ever leaves your LAN area (well, it does, but, it doesn't throttle your down speed).

First of all, may I ask what you like about XBMC that plex doesn't have?

Second of all, XBMC (I believe) has a plex addon that allows you to use your plex server as a library.

Third of all, I have sickbeard with Periscope (Subtitle downloader) working fine. I had to modify a few configuration files of sickbeard to get it to run as an extra script, but, it all works.

Well, when I was installing plex server I was looking for a way to watch movies directly on that machine. Like xbmc media center. But I couldn't find plex media center for Linux, just the server. Maybe I missed it, but can you even watch movies directly, without opening the browser on the server machine (which is plugged through HMDI into an LCD tv) if you have plex server installed?

Also, the second question is the language support. I'm not the only one who uses that machine for watching TV, so the interface has to be in my mother language, because the others aren't fluent in English like I am. Going to check out the rest.

Also I love how plex auto sorts files into libraries. I wish it was that easy on xbmc.

Anyway, as for the stats:-

Network speed Ubuntu side:- Invalid data, you need the windows PC to connect to do the test.

Network speed Windows side:- Are you sure you're connecting to the right IP? Can you ping said IP? Is Iperf running on Ubuntu when you execute it on windows?

Write speed (Ubuntu):- Not great, but more than enough for bitsync. This more than likely isn't the issue.

Read speed (Windows):- N/A

Internet speed is 50/50:- I assume this is your down/up link to your ISP? If so, useless data. All data is transmitted inside your closed LAN network (I assume this is a LAN network? Else you need to port forward port 5001 on the NAT device that the Ubuntu device is on for the iperf test) , no data ever leaves your LAN area (well, it does, but, it doesn't throttle your down speed).

Network speed Ubuntu side:- Oh, I did it wrong, so here's it again:

[ 4] local xx.103.18.xx+ port 5001 connected with 89.212.210.128 port 57973
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.0-19.7 sec 640 KBytes 266 Kbits/sec

*I edited out my server IP

Network speed Windows side:

Client connecting to xx.103.18.xx, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
[ 3] local [b]192.168.64.102[/b] port 57973 connected with xx.103.18.xx port 5001
[ 3] 0.0-17.6 sec 640 KBytes 298 Kbits/sec

Seems like there IS some speed issue.

Also. My server has two network cards. One is eth the second is a wifi one. The first one is directly connected to ISP's INNBOX, there's no (wifi) router in between (because it doesn't support multicast which is needed for IP TV). My computer is also connected directly to that INNBOX by ethernet. And it also uses WIFI network (it's a laptop) when I need it.

Another thing is, that I don't understand. My PC detect itself as 192.168.64.102 which is odd. Why would the INNBOX give my computer a local IP and not to rest of the machines like IPTV or even the server (which has only one local IP from the WIFI (which is 192.168.1.103)

EDIT:

if I connect my PC to server through a router ( PC_WIFI -> router - >server_WIFI)

the iperf is

[ 4] local 192.168.1.103 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.101 port 62151

[ 4] 0.0-10.3 sec 8.38 MBytes 6.81 Mbits/sec

Well, when I was installing plex server I was looking for a way to watch movies directly on that machine. Like xbmc media center. But I couldn't find plex media center for Linux, just the server. Maybe I missed it, but can you even watch movies directly, without opening the browser on the server machine (which is plugged through HMDI into an LCD tv) if you have plex server installed?

Also, the second question is the language support. I'm not the only one who uses that machine for watching TV, so the interface has to be in my mother language, because the others aren't fluent in English like I am. Going to check out the rest.

Also I love how plex auto sorts files into libraries. I wish it was that easy on xbmc.

Plex media client exists on windows and mac, and, allows you to run without anything like a browser.

Plex home theater exists on windows, mac and linux, and, is a beta version of an upgraded Plex media client.

I currently have two HTPCs that use Plex home theater on ubuntu, they work great.

Network speed Ubuntu side:- Oh, I did it wrong, so here's it again:

[ 4] local xx.103.18.xx+ port 5001 connected with 89.212.210.128 port 57973
[ 4] 0.0-19.7 sec 640 KBytes 266 Kbits/sec

Network speed Windows side:

Client connecting to xx.103.18.xx, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
[ 3] local [b]192.168.64.102[/b] port 57973 connected with xx.103.18.xx port 5001
[ 3] 0.0-17.6 sec 640 KBytes 298 Kbits/sec

Seems like there IS some speed issue.

Also. My server has two network cards. One is eth the second is a wifi one. The first one is directly connected to ISP's INNBOX, there's no (wifi) router in between (because it doesn't support multicast which is needed for IP TV). My computer is also connected directly to that INNBOX by ethernet. And it also uses WIFI network (it's a laptop) when I need it.

Another thing is, that I don't understand. My PC detect itself as 192.168.64.102 which is odd. Why would the INNBOX give my computer a local IP and not to rest of the machines like IPTV or even the server (which has only one local IP from the WIFI (which is 192.168.1.103)

EDIT:

if I connect my PC to server through a router ( PC_WIFI -> router - >server_WIFI)

the iperf is

[ 4] local 192.168.1.103 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.101 port 62151

[ 4] 0.0-10.3 sec 8.38 MBytes 6.81 Mbits/sec

For starters, yes, there obviously is a internet issue. Now, I'm confused what you mean by "INNBOX"? Can you give me the model number (or a link to the manufacturer's site) of this "INNBOX"? I do admit I'm not very advanced in networking, but, I've never heard of a piece of hardware called an "INNBOX".

Another thing is, with WIFI, you're limited based on what mode you're on. Once again, I'm not very good at WIFI but I believe it's something like (depending on the mode) 5Mbps/11Mbps/54Mbps.

For starters, yes, there obviously is a internet issue. Now, I'm confused what you mean by "INNBOX"? Can you give me the model number (or a link to the manufacturer's site) of this "INNBOX"? I do admit I'm not very advanced in networking, but, I've never heard of a piece of hardware called an "INNBOX".

Another thing is, with WIFI, you're limited based on what mode you're on. Once again, I'm not very good at WIFI but I believe it's something like (depending on the mode) 5Mbps/11Mbps/54Mbps.

Yeah, I'm aware the limitations of wifi. Which is why I would want the sync to go through the other network. Here's everything about the innbox (ignore the wifi specs, I don't use the built-in wifi)

http://www.innbox.net/sites/www.innbox.net/files/Innbox_V50_U_Datasheet_en.pdf

Yeah, I'm aware the limitations of wifi. Which is why I would want the sync to go through the other network. Here's everything about the innbox (ignore the wifi specs, I don't use the built-in wifi)

http://www.innbox.ne...atasheet_en.pdf

For starters, I'm confused what the point of the singular 1Gbit ethernet cable is for if there's only one (E.G. limited by the one you're connecting it through)

Second of all, I'd check to see if any programs are running of the router (I had an old netgear box that was stuck at 100% CPU and routing got really slow)

Third of all, make sure that your 100Mbit ethernet sockets are set to 100Mbit, my router came with them all set to 10Mbit by default (Including the Gbit ones, which, was weird).

Four, assuming that it supports backing up files through a default configuration (So you can revert back to your correct configuration), I'd try resetting to defaults, the option looks like this ("keep user configuration"), although, I have no idea if you have said option:-

mht9Mkd.png

Other than that, I'm out. I'm not very good with it comes to testing hardware. If you router supports a bandwidth test, I'd also run it from the router's point of view (To see if it's an issue from windows --> Router or router --> ubuntu), although, not many routers support this. In my case it's under "Tools" and "Bandwidth test server":-

KHsq1P9.png

ylAIdFE.png

Although, you might be able to pull it off with something like TCPSpray.

Other than that, I'm flat out of ideas, I'm terrible when it comes to diagnosis.

The problem has to be somewhere on the linux machine. Because downloading speed works as it should (even on the problematic one). Also I do not have the access to the ISP device (INNBOX).

I tried to send a file through FTP and I'm having the same speed problems as with btsync. Seems like supports my claim that there's an issue with the server. And as far as I can recall the ftp transfer used to work fine.

I did a iperf tests for UTP and that went fine. Seems like some tcp issue. I guess.

:\ maybe I should rebuilt the system. :\

The problem has to be somewhere on the linux machine. Because downloading speed works as it should (even on the problematic one). Also I do not have the access to the ISP device (INNBOX).

I tried to send a file through FTP and I'm having the same speed problems as with btsync. Seems like supports my claim that there's an issue with the server. And as far as I can recall the ftp transfer used to work fine.

I did a iperf tests for UTP and that went fine. Seems like some tcp issue. I guess.

:\ maybe I should rebuilt the system. :\

Well, considering BTSync uses UDP (D, not T) unless otherwise set (In the configuration file), then, it technically shouldn't be an issue, although, I'd still first work out why TCP is so slow.

Well, considering BTSync uses UDP (D, not T) unless otherwise set (In the configuration file), then, it technically shouldn't be an issue, although, I'd still first work out why TCP is so slow.

Image%202013-04-29%20at%2010.08.31%20PM.png

Problem solved.

How did I do it? Trial and error. I connected my server to my wifi router and tried using iperf then I noticed the connection works as it should. So i figured... hmm what if plug my server directly into the innbox (one of the 5 ports) instead of the switch which is plugged into the innbox (an 8 port miLAN switch where all the TV's and phones in my house are plugged in). Seems like every port on the innbox has a different setting, and the one did not seem to 'compute non-iptv traffic - i suppose)

Thanks for your help though. Because If you hadn't have introduced me iperf, I probably wouldn't succeed