High CPU Usage on Raspberry Pi

I've noticed BitTorrent Sync has a high CPU usage on my Raspberry Pi. I know that it isn't a powerful device, but the CPU usage is pretty much always above 50%, mostly 80% or more. It sometimes drops to 20% or ~6% for a few seconds, but goes back up pretty soon afterwards. The Pi has only one read only folder with 270MB in ~15k files, but there weren't any changes to the files for a few hours and it is completely synced.

I'm running Gentoo (hardfloat) on the Pi; it's not overclocked.

Ah, totally missed that thread.

Here is the log: http://breab.org/~philipp/sync.log

I replaced the file paths with their respective sha1 sums as I wasn't comfortable with sharing my directory structure. They should still be uniquely identified. If you need real file paths I'll create a similar share with random data.

I noticed that there are a lot of pings and broadcast messages. Should I try disabling every peer discovery option except for the tracker?

As I removed a big directory (~20k files) from sync on RPi and kept just other small dirs with total ~1000 files CPU utilization improved dramatically. It has spikes at the time of transfer (up to 70-80%) but in idle it's not running 90% all time as it was before but keeps it in 10-15% range.

Looks like monitoring for so many files makes poor RPi overwhelmed. I hope devs will able to figure out some way to improve it, because the idea of having RPi synced (in my case for backup) sounds pretty cool and useful.

As I removed a big directory (~20k files) from sync on RPi and kept just other small dirs with total ~1000 files CPU utilization improved dramatically. It has spikes at the time of transfer (up to 70-80%) but in idle it's not running 90% all time as it was before but keeps it in 10-15% range.

Looks like monitoring for so many files makes poor RPi overwhelmed. I hope devs will able to figure out some way to improve it, because the idea of having RPi synced (in my case for backup) sounds pretty cool and useful.

Yes, CPU usage on all platforms (not just the Pi) seems to directly relate to the total number of files BitTorrent Sync is monitoring. (i.e. the more files you've added to Sync, the higher the CPU usage). The developers are aware of this, as this general "high CPU" issue has been raised in a number of threads previous (for instance here). Of course, Sync is still in "alpha" so the focus has been more on "getting things working" rather than "optimizing things" at this stage, but I've no doubt that that CPU optimizations will come...

• 7 months later...