Cloud Syncing

eseelke

I just came across this link and thought I would share.

A company called Backupsy, that offers hosting for backups only allows BitTorrent Sync and has a 250GB special for $5 per month or 500GB for $7 per month.

KVM250

https://backupsy.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=1&promocode=HOLYMOSES

KVM500

https://backupsy.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=2&promocode=GOTMEADEAL

I just signed up. As soon as I get up and running I will post install instructions.

Eddie

I still wouldn't sign up to any 3rd party (VPS/Dedicated servers/'BTSync servers') until encrypted nodes are implemented, if encrypted nodes are implemented.

Just my point of view. Anyway:-

This VPS product is only allowed to run programs intended to store or assist in the backup of Subscriber's data. Anyone found running programs not intended to store or assist in backup will be suspended and asked to cease, if they fail to, termination will follow.

Seems insanely strict, assuming that you're a paying customer.

I would agree with that point of view for most. But, I don't have any files to sync that would matter.

Since, they are only a backup storage host, I can understand them being strict about hosting. Some hosting apps can be pretty resource intensive. As far as BitTorrent Sync, it is in their FAQ:

Can I run Bittorrent Sync?

Definitely. Our platform is completely compatible with Bittorrent Sync

Eddie

@eseelke, Wow those are some pretty good deals for storage VPS.

As for encryption, you could always implement on the client side with encFS or TrueCrypt for now. Or setup an encrypted partition on the VPS - though manually entering the credentials after boot might be a pain.

Not really, since the file will have to be open for you to write to it and thus any rouge VPS host could easily access your files.

The only way it'd work is if you put it in a true crypt volume pre-sending it.

encfs allows you to easily transfer the already-encrypted files. When you look at the unmounted encfs store, it's just a bunch of oddly named files. (Both the filenames and content are encrypted.)

So you set your encfs store to be the shared folder with btsync. You work on your files in the mounted (decrypted) encfs mountpoint, and every time you update a file, its encrypted source will be sync'd.

With TrueCrypt, I think it would still work just fine, but using the container locally on your computer. You can make the TrueCrypt container a fixed size (sparse files for the win! The "dynamic" option in TrueCrypt for Windows), so only the 4 MB chunks that are changed within the TrueCrypt container are resync'd with btsync. Just don't defragment inside your TrueCrypt mountpoint, haha! :rolleyes:

encfs allows you to easily transfer the already-encrypted files. When you look at the unmounted encfs store, it's just a bunch of oddly named files. (Both the filenames and content are encrypted.)

So you set your encfs store to be the shared folder with btsync. You work on your files in the mounted (decrypted) encfs mountpoint, and every time you update a file, its encrypted source will be sync'd.

With TrueCrypt, I think it would still work just fine, but using the container locally on your computer. You can make the TrueCrypt container a fixed size (sparse files for the win! The "dynamic" option in TrueCrypt for Windows), so only the 4 MB chunks that are changed within the TrueCrypt container are resync'd with btsync. Just don't defragment inside your TrueCrypt mountpoint, haha! :rolleyes:

That all seems like way to much work, mounting and updating and umounting* and remounting. I'm just going to keep my files on a internal "my servers only" share.

*I believe bitsync only syncs files that aren't in use, either bitsync, plex or both. I can't remember.

This is likely a problem for TrueCrypt, but not encfs since the encryption is maintained file-by-file, rather than an entire volume.

But yes, it's a bother. I have my whole lappy encrypted with TrueCrypt. But I backup to my own, secure NAS.

Hey, options are good though! I've played with encfs quite a bit.