"New" files on 1 computer getting deleted on 2nd computer and then the 1st computer

slee

I was testing BTsync with my itunes library. Basically, i want itunes on my office desktop (iMac, 2nd computer) to sync to my laptop (macbook pro, 1st computer).

I was doing some metadata tagging in itunes on my laptop which changed the name of the actual file. after btsync did its thing, i noticed that the "new" file had been deleted on BOTH COMPUTERS. I am assuming that the 2nd computer saw the file as being deleted instead of just changed and removed the changed file which got synced back to the 1st computer. i had to dig around in my .synctrash to find it or i would have been at my DJ gig this friday wondering where all the tracks i was going to play was.

For now i changed the 2nd computer to read only, but really wanted to be able to make changes on this computer that get synced as well instead of just using it as a backup.

Anyone else ran into this problem? Any other solutions or workarounds better than 1-way sync?

Yep, that's exactly my experience (see thread "Four machines, four different counts of files"). At some point BTSync started PingPong with my files. Whatever I did BTSync overruled my will with its own decisions. When adding new files it took some time and they did disappear again. When deleting files it took some time and they came back automatically. Sometimes I had to wait for an hour and suddenly files became deleted or re-created. The share in question was read/write on all machines, standard installation in a LAN with two Windows 8 and two Linux (Slackware) machines.

Yesterday I stopped the experiment and did de-install on all machines. It took the whole day today to find out the differences.

I don't use iTunes. I doubt that iTunes has something to do with this behaviour.

The idea behind BTSync is really great but IMHO the software has a long way to go. And in addition, my 70,000 files exploded from 4x70,000 to 8x70,000 (Metadata) - nothing you want to offer when going GA.

The idea behind BTSync is really great but IMHO the software has a long way to go.

Don't forget that BitTorrent Sync is currently still only in "Alpha" phase - it's not even a "Beta" yet! Most software developers don't release "alpha" software to general users, as BitTorrent did - which I'm sure many here would agree was not only a great decision, but already relatively stable for just an "alpha" build!

So does BitTorrent Sync still have a "long way to go"? Of course it does - but it's still only an "Alpha" right now!!! ...so give it time, it'll get even better! ...and bug reports & feedback are really useful to the developers in helping make the product even better! :)

Yes I know, it's Alpha. But I never start to test an app with just two or three files. I always throw everything at it I want to do with the app when its finished. For BTSync my wish is to sync my 70,000 files that are hosted at Dropbox currently - it's not much, just 40GB of software development projects from the past 20-30 years or so.

It didn't take long to find the flaws, e.g. the concept of Metadata-Files with that amount of data,

I will keep track about this project because I love it's concept. Once the developer calls it Beta I will be back here, definetely.