Hi everyone,

this is clearly an incredible software that uses a well-known and particularly good transfer protocol.

I was looking for this kind of solution for some time, so thank you very much for this !

I think it really has the potential to become a must-have application, for personnal and professionnal use.

The only problem is its name, BitTorrent is often seen as an illegal activity due to torrents download which has become the first source of illegal entertainment...

I want to use this for some of my clients but I already have questions about its legality and have to make lectures on open-source protocols and what is allowed to do with them or not.

Don't you think it could be a good idea for the product and its growth to have a name that would be less connoted ?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts on this matter !

The only problem is its name, BitTorrent is often seen as an illegal activity due to torrents download which has become the first source of illegal entertainment...

I can't quite tell if you're saying it was the first source ever of illegal entertainment or the go to source for illegal entertainment.

Anyway, I believe both of those are wrong, although, I might be wrong on the latter one, however, I'm sure I'm not wrong on the first one.

Don't you think it could be a good idea for the product and its growth to have a name that would be less connoted ?

I don't agree on the fact that it should be changed just because of "BitTorrent" part, as, if someone is going to question the phrase "BitTorrent" then they probably aren't going to have the correct set up to use it anyway (Two or more computers, set up correctly to accept UDP packets, files to share (Probably the hardest one), etc...).

However, I do agree that it should be changed. I was telling someone about the software earlier and we both agreed it's a pain in the ass to say, "Bee-t-orr-ent", compare it to something sleek like "Dropbox".

However, I do agree that it should be changed. I was telling someone about the software earlier and we both agreed it's a pain in the ass to say, "Bee-t-orr-ent", compare it to something sleek like "Dropbox".

I just say BTSync! That's a 25% savings in syllables and only 50% more syllables than Dropbox. We're so lazy in English, LOL.

How about BitSync? B)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't quite tell if you're saying it was the first source ever of illegal entertainment or the go to source for illegal entertainment.

Anyway, I believe both of those are wrong, although, I might be wrong on the latter one, however, I'm sure I'm not wrong on the first one.

You are right on the first part of your answer, bittorrent was not the first soucre of illegal entertainment but today, it is clearly the mostly used protocol to download torrent files on many illegal trackers. Now, I absolutely don't care about what people does with bittorrent, I am not fond of laws, even far from this, my topic concerns the idea that people who are not computing experts has about this incredible software.

Your answers are quite interesting but it is obvious that all of you are aware of what bittorrent protocol is, this is not the case of my clients, especially the older ones.

Since I've posted this topic, I had to make other lectures to clients on what it is and tell them that the idea of an illegal protocol is wrong and blablabla.

Ok, it can be interesting to educate people like yottabit said but I don't remember being paid for that !!

@savageloki:

well, you're talking a a forums owned by BitTorrent Inc.

I guess it's their job to improve their brand awareness. btsync is the kinda of app that could shift the view on their products.

You are probably right but this is a difficult thing to do !

Thanks for your answers !