[Solved] Syncing Not Completing

wabackpacker

First, I want to express my gratitude and thanks for building this amazing tool! Side note, before I get into my challenges... I own a data center company in Seattle and if we can donate any server/data center resources towards the project I'd be happy to do so.

I'm having a couple challenges that I'm sorting through but I'll start with the issue where sync's doesn't seem to complete.

In this scenario, I have 3 nodes all running version 1.0.125

Node 1 - Windows 7 Desktop PC

Share 1 - 23.7GB in 33,169 files (this is the original)

Node 2 - Windows 2008 Server

Share 1 - 21.1GB of the 23.7GB and 27,770 of the files sync'd

Node 3 - Windows 7 Laptop

Share 1 - 21.7GB of the 23.7GB and 27,998 of the files sync'd

This was happening with the prior client version so I tried the new version noted on the forums. I've broken and recreated the share on node 3 to no effect.

Cheers,

Ryan

I have the same issue. The difference are about 700 mb between the original folder and the other 2 clients.

I´m running version 1.0.116.

Node 1: Windows 7 Desktop PC (Home)

Node 2: Ubuntu Server 11.04

Node 3: Windows 7 Desktop PC (Work)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First, I want to express my gratitude and thanks for building this amazing tool! Side note, before I get into my challenges... I own a data center company in Seattle and if we can donate any server/data center resources towards the project I'd be happy to do so.

I'm having a couple challenges that I'm sorting through but I'll start with the issue where sync's doesn't seem to complete.

In this scenario, I have 3 nodes all running version 1.0.125

Node 1 - Windows 7 Desktop PC

Share 1 - 23.7GB in 33,169 files (this is the original)

Node 2 - Windows 2008 Server

Share 1 - 21.1GB of the 23.7GB and 27,770 of the files sync'd

Node 3 - Windows 7 Laptop

Share 1 - 21.7GB of the 23.7GB and 27,998 of the files sync'd

This was happening with the prior client version so I tried the new version noted on the forums. I've broken and recreated the share on node 3 to no effect.

Cheers,

Ryan

1.1.27 and same problem!

• 2 weeks later...

As seen in this picture it shows that there is more to be synced in my music folder but upload and download speeds remain 0.

Are any other programs currently accessing content within your /home/chad/Music folder, as this would explain the behavior you're seeing. If files are in use/locked by another process/application, Sync will indicate the amount of data to be transferred but won't actual begin transferring it until the files in question are released by whatever other process/application is currently using them,

Similar issue here for one of my sync folders (others seem fine) so I'm interested in the outcome.

My situation. Several nodes involved:

1. Main desktop - Ubuntu 12.04

2. Main phone - Android 4.2.2

3. Main tablet - Android 4.2.2

4. Utility PC - Windows 7

Originally had an issue with a 12MB file and sync not finishing to node 3 & 4 seemingly just to that file. It has been persistant for the last few days since the original sync was established.

Just joined the forum to post in this thread as I am also having the same problem, and it also concerns the music folder. Bittorrent Sync registers the new files (according to History), but doesn't appear to upload them. There's a 10.3GB difference in the size of the overall data being synced, although the destination computer only registers 2.1GB that needs downloading.

Interested to see the solution!

I had a similar problem when syncing my win and linux machines. My linux machine is not using utf-8 but iso8859-15.

the folders where synced before using btsync.

since btsync can only handle utf-8 filenames it couldn't sync files with special characters from my linux machine - like üöäéèê. so it synced the files from win to linux. this led to the fact that I had those files twice on linux. tüst.txt and something like tüst.txt e.g.

the funny thing is that btsync was aware of those files on linux but couldn't sync them. It showed me +2000 more files and 1.5 GB more on linux than on windows - it also never stopped syncing although it didn't do anything anymore...

may be this helps?

Same problem syncing between win/linux using 1.1.48 on all nodes. The share with problems contains files with special characters like æøå.

Log

lots of "Merge: will send files for ***" (many containing special characters)

..its aborting with

Merge: failed to verify signature of remote file ***, aborting

3GB of 3.8GB not syncing from win->linux

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue here. Trying to sync 2.9gb of images between Android 4.0 phone and Win8 laptop. Latest versions of Sync on both. On my laptop it shows that there is only 942mb to be synced, and that's all it successfully synced. I ditched Dropbox camera upload for this but sadly it's not working...

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem syncing between win/linux using 1.1.48 on all nodes. The share with problems contains files with special characters like æøå.

Log

lots of "Merge: will send files for ***" (many containing special characters)

..its aborting with

Merge: failed to verify signature of remote file ***, aborting

3GB of 3.8GB not syncing from win->linux

Could you please follow these steps ?

Thanks!

I have the same issue with 271 Mb not being synced.

Is there a way to see which files do not get synced? I want to check if these files are locked.

I am using a read-only sync.

Hi, rene.

Will try help you.

Files do not get synced:

- files in SyncIgnor list.

- files are not permited to you.

Zero length files will be synced but will not be shown in GUI.

I've found some solutions to my own problems. I have a mix of linux, OS X, and Win 7 here. The biggest problem has been with going from OS X or linux to the windows 7 boxes. However, there have also been problems with OS X to OS X. I'll enumerate the issues and what I did to resolve them.

1. OS X to OS X.... file names were too long.

In this case BTS was able to show me in the History tab that these files failed sync. This was on the receiving machine. The solution was to shorten the file names. They were indeed very very long. It's strange that the originating OS X machine had no problem creating the file..... but synching it was a problem. I also wrote script to find and identify the long file names. I shortened them manually.

2. OS X/Linux to Win7.... long file names

NTFS is much more restrictive with file name lengths. I had to find long file names/paths and reduce their size. This was a bit of a task as the windows client for BTS didn't give me much indication of which files it was unable to sync. In fact, the windows boxes indicated that they were in sync. Only the OS X and Linux boxes were complaining that there were bytes left to sync. I used the script mentioned in (1) to find long file names and shorten them.

3. OS X/Linux to Win7.... special characters

For sure I've had problems with : and \t (tab) in the file names. There were some others that I suspected but can not confirm. I wrote a script to strip out all the problem and suspected characters and rename the files on the originating OS X/Linux side. Once those file names were cleaned up, the sync with Windows completed.

If BTS could identify both on the originating client and the recipient client exactly which file were failing due to file names I would be a happy camper! :)