[Solved] Syncing Not Completing

wabackpacker

@ancylostomiasis

Do I understand correctly that you've got some 6 files that could never be synced completely to your Android device?

If yes - could you please collect debug logs from both Android and your desktop PC?

since nothing about android is mentioned I followed the linux process (knowing android is a ripoff of linux), the file remains "FFFF".

@colinabroad

They were synced, I guess. The strange part here is that all the temp files (starting with ~) are ignore red in default IgnoreList and should not be synchronized. Could you please check if the "~*" filter is still present in your IgnoreList?

Interesting RomanZ - I have NO ~ symbol in my syncignore files and, so being there by default is not happening for me!  perhaps this is the root of all my incomplete syncs?  If I add this line to my ignore file using notepad should I save as a unicode 8 type file, or just save over the existing file? and what do I add ?  ~* ?  .~  please help me with this as I am unsure of the actual text to write into the ignore file.  There is a line # os generated files #  but I am guessing this is not actually doing anything because of the hash symbols?  here it is for you - they are all the same as I have not done anything to these files on any of my machines.

# .SyncIgnore is a UTF-8 encoded .txt file that helps you specify single files, paths and rules 
# for ignoring during the synchronization job. It supports "?" and "*" wildcard symbols.
#
#
# OS generated files #
.DS_Store
.DS_Store?
._*
.Spotlight-V100
.Trashes
ehthumbs.db
desktop.ini
Thumbs.db

However, this still does not explain the up arrow full file set waiting to sync on all the windows machines?

@colinabroad

That's strange. Here is the default ignore list:

# IgnoreList is a UTF-8 encoded .txt file that helps you specify single files, paths and rules# for ignoring during the synchronization job. It supports "?" and "*" wildcard symbols.### OS generated files #.DS_Store.Spotlight-V100.Trashes~*ehthumbs.dbdesktop.iniThumbs.db._*

I wonder - how come that you do not have the "~*" filter in your ignore list? Did you fresh-installed or upgraded your sync?

"#" symbol forces Sync to ignore all that inserted after it. Also, the "~" symbol is part of ASCII charset, so it looks the same in UTF8. It means, that if you do not have any non-latin letters - the UTF8 and plain text would be the same for you.

@ancylostomiasis

For Android you can simply "Send feedback" - it will propose you to include debug log. Just mention this forum topic in the feedback body.

hi all,

My case as:

- i have two ubuntu linux computers: ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04.

- a sync folder as total 291G with 1,148,734 files

i added and operated the files and btsync will show completed sync before until this morning, i moved a ~8G folder from sub-folder-A to sub-folder-B (both sub-folders are inside the sync folder) and operated some files at different locations(still inside this sync folder). Then it does not have sync any more, it just queue up the new changed files, i undo the moving of ~8G folder, however, still cannot help.

please have a look of the following images

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5MGD2UoeALzQVZlYkJiODVaYm8/preview

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5MGD2UoeALzWHBldUtZczdfQXM/preview

i do not have solution to let them to re-sync again, where can i see the queue reason to let me know how can i solve it?

is it a problem of too large files size, too many files and folders which excess my computers processing power(i mean actually btsync is running, but it is extreme slow)?

thanks

yan

hi

I have a long queue of files waiting to sync again. The previous few days, i had the same problem, i posted the issue here(at above). After i sent some debug log to supporting, i disconnected the sync pair myself, then re-connect again. It can connected and completed the sync. After operation of one day, it comes the same situation now, the screenshots are same to above my attachement.

I find that in my sync pair of computers: "A" computer said it is "synced", the "B" computer said it is "Sending (indexing)". If i modifyed any files at "B" computer, the history of "B" have corresponding update message. However, "A" computer seems no any notice to it, still in "synced", so do not start any sync process.

At "A" computer, it has some other folders to sync to other devices, such as my Android mobile, they are syncing and no any problem. So the btsync deamon at "A" Computer is running normally.

thanks

yan

@colinabroad

Yes, you can. I'd also advise to re-add folder if possible. BTW, could you please add a sample folder to Sync and see how the freshly created IgnoreList looks like?

# .SyncIgnore is a UTF-8 encoded .txt file that helps you specify single files, paths and rules 
# for ignoring during the synchronization job. It supports "?" and "*" wildcard symbols.
#
#
# OS generated files #
.DS_Store
.DS_Store?
._*
.Spotlight-V100
.Trashes
ehthumbs.db
desktop.ini
Thumbs.db

Here you are, a new folder with its errant ignore file.  Clearly something is not correct on this version (1.3.109)  as it is not creating the ignore file as you have said it should be.   Adding the line with the squiggle has not fixed the issue on the other main folders, and I am not currently inclined to re-add the folder AGAIN as I do not have the time to wait for another rescan right now.  and anyway, simply removing and adding the folder again will not fix anything - unless I add and IMMEDIATELY correct the ignore file manually?  but I would need to do this on all 3 computers simultaneously to make any difference at all.  Hopefully now others are reporting similar issues this will be looked at in more detail by someone up the line!  If there is anything else I can help with on the investigation do let me know.

@ancylostomiasis
Got only log from Android - while need from 2 devices (and covering the same timespan).

@chungyan5
Logs were not attached. Could you please pack / resend?

@happy.cze
Need logs from 2 peers.

@colinabroad

Sorry, I confused 1.3 and 1.4 versions. Your ignore list is okay for 1.3.109. 1.4 has "~*" also in it.

@romanz

i tried enable logs on A (win7), btsync has crashed (dump sent), after that, i started btsync on A again. On B (win7) i disconnected folder and entered RW key from A, synchronization started! But, when finished, i tried modify some files on A to test additional synchronization. And it failed again with on A "out of sync" and "OK" on B. I enabled logging after cca 25mins on A and on B. After that synchronization started and finished briefly. Since then, i'm not able to reproduce this bug  :angry:

A and B on the same lan, tracker and relay off, both online and connected to internet.

Follow up: B was turned off for some while and then on back again, 35min ago i added new file to A, since then:

- A is out of sync (because of new file)

- B is "synced"

Logging enabled on A and B

Hey All - I am happy to report that I am now enjoying a full sync between all three of my peers. However, I have found a few interesting things going on now I have 1.4.83 on all three machines :

1: I have a locked file being reported but there are no files open and the gui does not tell me what the file is? - Is there a way of finding this file?

2: I renamed a couple of folders and now the sync is going through ALL the files within the folder?? is this REALLY necessary for a simple folder rename? - it is taking a LONG time to work through all the files over the internet to the remote laptop.

3: being able to resize the columns makes a MASSIVE difference to working with this new version - it takes some getting used to, but it seems to have all the info there that was in 1.3.109, just in different places - so patience is needed when looking for things

4: I note that it is no longer possible to reopen the gui from the notifications icon - one has to go to the icon on the taskbar (win 7, 8.1) to reopen if it has been hidden behind other windows.

5: The reason for renaming folders was that I discovered that added/edited files within folders with Chinese names were not being synced. On changing the folder name to have Roman characters (English) first the files within got synced - very odd, and perhaps not a problem for many people who don't have Chinese on their computers

6: I have three computers attempting to sync yet the gui reports all is OK when ONE pair only is synced - the green tick in the circle should NOT be present when one computer has not completed its sync - it should ONLY show when BOTH are complete. When checking peers yes, you see one is not finished yet, but one does not always check peers - this is giving the false impression that all is OK when it is not.

7: Notifications that ALL has completed syncing come up when ONE computer has finished - I suspect this is a typing error in the software somewhere saying all is complete when actually only ONE has completed.

That's it for now, it is amazing what one finds when one is not looking all the time for why the sync is not yet complete! Keep up the good work all of you, it is getting better all the time.

Hey RomanZ,  I just thought I would report in as I  have now removed one peer from my three way sync and all is now working (almost) perfectly with the other two computers.  I suspect that the three way is one step too far right now and so I have consigned my older Laptop to movie duties and will continue backing up to a separate USB drive for now,  There are a couple of issues I have reported in different threads as I am sure you have seen :rolleyes:  Thanks for all your patient help so far!

@ Romanz - will do.  It is difficult for me to get onto the support site sometimes which is why I have been adding comments to the forum.  But should anything really bad happen I will for sure email in.  It also appears that the support team actively read the forum, so they ar epicking up lots already!  Keep up the good work!

@colinabroad

For your previous post, you talked as:

>> 5: The reason for renaming folders was that I discovered that added/edited files within folders with Chinese names were not being  synced. On changing the folder name to have Roman characters (English) first the files within got synced - very odd, and perhaps not a problem for many people who don't have Chinese on their computers

I just shared my existing situation as:

2 ways sync in both Ubuntu Linux computer with Unicode ext4 file system, i can sync all Chinese mp3 and mp4 file names.

@chungyan05

It did seem odd to me, files with Chinese names were no problem, but when I went to edit a FOLDER in WIn 7 the folder rename was not propagated across all peers - and then I discovered that if I added English to the beginning of the folder name they all began to change on the other peers. The problem has gone away now as I have removed the third peer on my sync - the two remaining computers seem OK at the moment.

@colinabroad and btsync supporting team,

I have trouble in Chinese file name and folder.

I can say, it was working before for Chinese file name, all go normal, so i have not paid attention in this issue. Once i talked with Colinabroad, i start to pay attention, i create some testing in Chinese file name and folder name, they both cannot be sync now. I just tried to copy a Chinese file and save as to a English name(same file content), i can see it immediately exists in my another side of computer.

My system as:

1) both computers as Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04

2) I upgraded both to 1.4.93 beta recently

I suspect Chinese file name was working before by some older versions, but i cannot find out the clear cut that which version does not work.

I need Chinese file handling day by day, could you please to help me to settle this issue?

thanks

yan