Read-only secret sync issue

I have performed the following test:

1. Installed btsync on my desktop and NAS
  2. On my PC created folder TestFolder with files a.py and b.py
  3. Added this folder to btsync through http://localhost:8888
  4. Copied read-only secret
  5. Entered http://nas-ip:8888 in order to add my PC folder to sync (with the read-only secret)
  6. Content was synced between my NAS and PC
  7. Added, removed and modified files on my PC - changes were applied to NAS (as expected)
  8. Removed file (e.g. a.py) from NAS - nothing happened to my PC folder (as expected)
  9. I expected the file (a.py) to be sent back to NAS once next sync event was triggered (i.e. within 10 minutes) but nothing happen (not expected)

The questions is: how do I resync files that were mistakenly deleted from NAS? In a way it's a nice feature not to download such files (well, since they were removed, then most likely I don't want them to sync), but I'd appreciate a simple way to force a full sync.

Did anyone else experience similar issue? Is there any workaround?

There are plenty of topics on issues with read-only syncs here on the forums (just do a search for them)

But essentially, you should ensure both devices are fully in sync first, before making one of them "read-only".

If you have two locations that are out of sync, one of which is read-only, then at present the only way to "force a full re-sync" so they are both identical again is to remove the read-only folder from BitTorrent Sync and re-add it with a "full access" secret

Personally, I wouldn't really call this a issue, I'd call this a "I don't wait this file, I'm removing it, stop giving it to me" feature, although, there should be an option to redownload deleted files, just my two cents

I agree. In one of my use cases the recipient of the read-only secret is purposefully deleting files and doesn't want to ever see them again. However, having an option in the read-only peer to "force redownload of missing files" would be nice for some cases.

Well, supose I don't want to give full access to my folder, only to allow someone download the files. What happen if that guy "looses" one file? How can he download it again without having to give him a "full-acess" secret?

S/he could delete the share (from BTSync only), and then you could give the read-only secret again (or maybe a one-time read-only secret). In theory, after indexing completes, only the missing/changed files will transfer.

Many others have requested the ability to "force" a resync of missing files in a read-only share.

Yes, that would be a great optional feature. I think they way it works now is good in some cases, but I would love it if I could make a FULL sync read-only folder. That way deleted files are detected and replaced, and if a file is accidentally modified on the destination it would get updated back to the original version.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add my use case, as well. One-way, constant syncing (which I like to think of as file push) is an ideal solution for me.

I have a set of directories on a server, which are updated (at least) daily. The directories contain up-to-date supplier information, which is then forwarded out to multiple locations. There is one directory per location, as the content for each location is different. The remote locations use a local client to browse the supplier information.

I want to be able to push file updates out to my remote locations. I do not want any changes to those files to be synced back to my server. The flow of files is always one-way, i.e., Supplier --> Me --> Stores.

I'd like to be able to do this on a schedule, or whenever the directories on my server are updated with the latest set of files (the latter would be preferrable).

I also have a similar need for pushing files out to point-of-sale systems. The current solution is scheduled FTP jobs, which are far less elegant, and prone to failure. Once again, the flow of files is one-way.

BT Sync could be perfect for these applications.

• 4 months later...

+1.

What will the solution for this look like?  In particular, I'm looking to use BTSync as a way to take automated backups kind of like this:

MyLaptop/home/ <- (source)

MyBackupServer/MyLaptopBackup/ <- (backup - uses a read-only secret generated from source)

However, there are some minor flaws with this.  1) Files can accidentally get deleted on the backup and they won't be re-sync'd.  2) Files on the backup are not encrypted so I can't use third-party servers for redundancy.

In an ideal setup, I would like the backup to be an up-to-date mirror of the source, which means if a file were accidentally deleted on the backup but not in the source, it would be re-downloaded from the source.  However, I don't want to have to get on the source node to issue a "force" command periodically, ideally, there would be a secret hash that would maintain those settings without requiring a manual "force" command.  Additionally, since it's been said that it's on the roadmap for BTSync to support an encrypted read-only node, it would be ideal if there were a secret that would set a node with encryption and read-only mirror all at once.

Is there any chance the feature will look like this, or are we going to be stuck issuing "force" commands?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

+1 

It will be added.

A good solution is to file similar SyncIgnore, allowing new download and replace files by mask. When to expect a solution.

P.s. If the decision is, I have not found. Specify where to read.

Edited by serrg

• 9 months later...

S/he could delete the share (from BTSync only), and then you could give the read-only secret again (or maybe a one-time read-only secret). In theory, after indexing completes, only the missing/changed files will transfer.

Many others have requested the ability to "force" a resync of missing files in a read-only share.

It will be added.

Hello, I would like to ask whether is this feature (to initiate read-only resync manually) already added. I have stopped using BTSync because of lack of this. I would like to have the data on my NAS and copy them to my computers on demand (without unnecessary overwriting of course).

Hello, I would like to ask whether is this feature (to initiate read-only resync manually) already added. I have stopped using BTSync because of lack of this. I would like to have the data on my NAS and copy them to my computers on demand (without unnecessary overwriting of course).

As far as I know it is implemented, but not in a manual, but an automatic, instant fashion:

The "Overwrite any changed files" option in read-only shares automatically redownloads files from the "master" source if changed (or deleted) on the read-only side.