small changes to large files

Does bittorrent sync efficiently transfer small changes to large files, like rsync? I did a quick test and it doesn't appear to.

If it doesn't, is this a planned feature? I can live with inefficiency for a little while, but hopefully soon our dataset will get large enough that it will be a problem.

you missing something in your faq.

How to use bittorent sync without installing it on windows. "setting.dat"

I think you mean "settings.dat"? :P

Anyhow, in the thread where this original "workaround" to make BitTorrent Sync "portable" on Windows was posted, there have so far not been any responses from anyone confirming as to whether this method actually works (I personally haven't tried it myself yet!) If several people can confirm that this method works for making BitTorrent Sync "portable" on Windows, I will certainly consider updating the unofficial FAQ accordingly.

Are you causing changes in files' internal offsets when you change the contents?

No, but I didn't realize that btsync uses 4MB windows. I would have invalided several of those 4MB windows, so btsync would have had to retransfer a large portion of the file. rsync uses 16K windows, so obtains a much larger speedup for small changes, at the cost of being less efficient elsewhere.

No, but I didn't realize that btsync uses 4MB windows. I would have invalided several of those 4MB windows, so btsync would have had to retransfer a large portion of the file. rsync uses 16K windows, so obtains a much larger speedup for small changes, at the cost of being less efficient elsewhere.

Request in the wishlist for modifiable sizes, personally, 4MB seems like a good size, although if you have files that you know only a few bits/bytes will be changed, a modifiable size would be useful.