Have to restart BT Sync on Macs (weird?!)

I am using bit torrent sync to sync a folder on 3 macs and 2 pc's. I do most of my work on 1 of my macs, the other 2 macs sleep during most of the day, and my 2 pc's are always awake.

I regularly notice that when I open BT Sync on my Mac that I've been working on all day, it doesn't list any devices. When I open BT Sync on the PC right next to me, it lists the 2nd PC as a connected device, but nothing else (the two other macs are asleep, so they shouldn't be listed).

So my mac that I'm working on doesn't notice the PC's, and the PC's recognize each other, but not the mac I'm working on. If I restart BT Sync on my work mac, then the 3 "awake" computers recognize each other, and the files begin to sync.

When I go home, I wake up one of my macs that has been asleep. It doesn't see the other computers. I'll open up my work mac laptop that I've been using all day, and sometimes it doesn't notice the other computers either. To fix the issue, I have to restart BT Sync on *both* macs, otherwise neither mac recognizes any other devices (sometimes restarting one mac will get it working on that computer, but often times not the case).

This is super bizzarre. I think it has something to do with BT Sync getting d/c'd when the mac goes to sleep, but I'm not sure.

Please help! It would be highly impractical for me to have to restart my BT Sync on all of the computers every time I wanted to sync a file!

Thanks in advance.

It might take some time for Sync to discover each other, since after a sleep system will recover a connection. And you work laptop changes IP.

But I guess you waited long enough, so there might be an issue. Could you please enable logs for you home computer before it goes sleep and you work computer, when you leave the work. Then when you open it at home and woke your home PC, wiat for ten minutes and send us logs at syncapp@bittorrent.com

I got the logs, but 1 was ~140MB, and the other was ~170MB. Too big to email, so I tried using the "send feedback + send logs" approach to get them to you. Yeah, I'm sure that easy for you to find... ha. Sorry, but I just couldn't email those giant files.

That aside, I did some experimenting. Basically whenever my mac laptop (that I take to work and back home every day) went to sleep, it would lose track of the other devices (in BTS) when it woke up.

I noticed that my iMac and my MacbookPro (retina, if it matters), were listening on the same port. I changed the MBPr's port to 1+ the iMac's port, and the problem seems to be resolved.

Isn't the listening port supposed to be randomly generated? What are the odds.....

If you don't set port manually, it's assigned by operation system. However BTSync remembers the port it gets the first time in config file and uses it after restart.

When you changed the port manually, BTSync recreated UDP socket which is used for all communication. Did it resolve the problem with sleep? Did you try to restart your Mac?

1) After I manually set the port on my MBPr (to something different than my iMac and other MBP, the computers I have at home), all issues appear resolved. I just woke up my MBPr from a full night's sleep, and it recognized the other computers in about 2 seconds!!

2) I have not restarted my mac yet ... ( waiting for restart ) ... OK, I just restarted my MbPr. The port is still at the number to which I manually set it. In BTS, it immediately recognized the other computers.

• 3 months later...

Are there any updates on this? I clearly have the same problem. I have BT Sync running on an always-on desktop at work and on my laptop. If I launch BT Sync on either network, it happily finds my work desktop. But if I put it to sleep and wake it up on the other network, it doesn't. If I put it to sleep and wake it up on the original network, everything works again.

I should point out that the work desktop runs Linux, and my laptop is a Mac.