Sync Read-Only folder with computer that already has partial folder

I am Read-Only Syncing with a computer that already had some of the files to begin with. The Computer that has the Read-Only key says it is synced but mine says there is still an amount that needs to be uploaded. Just seeing if there is some sort of fix for this out there?

Has your read-only computer always had a read-only secret, or did it originally have a full-access secret?

If both devices had a full-access secret initially, and then during the initial indexing/sync, one device was changed to read only, this could explain why the remaining full-access device thinks it still has data to transfer?

If you restart BitTorrent Sync on both devices, does it still show outstanding data to be transferred?

Thanks for the answer.

Ok, I was using AeroFS before I found out it sucked. It is me and 3 other computers that are syncing. I moved all of the files out of the old AeroFS folder into new folders that don't have any of the AeroFS files in them anymore. I did this to all 4 computers running BTSync. Mine and 1 other computer has full access and the other 2 computers are R/O. The 2 computers that are R/O have always been R/O on BTSync. I just moved the existing files in when I added them with the R/O code.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

I just tried to remove the folder from BTSync and then add it again on the computer that is using the read only code and it shows that he is synced right away but on my end it shows that I have to sync the entire size of the folder. It seems like the read only computer is not sending back information that it already has all of the files.

I updated, and actually the problem got worse. Previously I had one share that was full privileges which correctly said that it was fully synced, and one that was read-only at the other end which was having the problem described.

I updated this end, and now both of those shares show the up-arrow and total size, but aren't actually doing anything (because really they don't need to).

So I went and update the other end, and I'm back where I started: the full-rights share displays correctly, the read-only one wrongly says it needs to transmit everything but doesn't. So I'm afraid this particular bugfix didn't fix this particular bug.

Can you please try the following:

1. Install 1.0.130 on all computers (if not yet done)

2. Remove shared folder on both computers from BTSync WebUI

3. Add folder on full-access computer

4. Add folder on read-only computer

Previous build could save incorrect information in cache. Re-adding folder will rebuild cache.

OK, I did as instructed.

At first it worked fine - both ends scanned, then it started working down from the total as the files were checked and found to be the same.

But at the very end it got stuck. The read-only side accurately says "Synced" whereas the read-write end is stuck on the last 6.4MB.

Currently in read only mode Sync does not overwrite files if they are modified locally. We are planning to add an option to force overwrite local changes.

Can you please make sure that all files are really the same? You may try to sync with full access secret first, then re-add folder with read only secret.

I am 99% certain that all files are really the same, because previously they were synced with Cubby which doesn't have a read-only mode. I turned off Cubby and turned on BTS without making any changes in between.

I ran another test on a different folder with three computers, all of which were also previously synced together with Cubby. Two of the computers have full access shares in BTS, and they correctly display as being synced. The third folder has read-only access, and it too has a few MB showing as remaining from the sending end, while showing as fully synced at the read-only end.

• 2 weeks later...

Well updating and readding the synced files kinda fixed it for me too. I had the same problem with some updated files where not syncing and it wouldn't totally allow it to sync but after I went through the log file I found that those files where listed as invalidated files and were skipped. So all I did is I turned off BTSync and went through and deleted those files off the read only computer and it %100 synced on both sides. Is there already something in works on allowing the read only computers to update files when the full access computers update? BTW, this is an awesome program! Even with these small glitches it blows all the other sync programs out of the water.

Now that's something that I didn't think of. I've been sending my logs to support, and they had me try out version 134, which appeared to make the problem go away - as in, both ends show as being synced.

However, I remember back when I was using Windows Live Mesh, I had to run it as admin, because otherwise it would get hung up on some files being the wrong owner or read-only. I haven't **noticed** this problem with BTS, but perhaps that was the underlying cause of the not-quite-finished-syncing problem? If so, perhaps the "fix" for this problem was BTS simlpy disregarding files that it's not allowed to write over - which if true, isn't really a "fix" so much as a workaround?

Is it possible to run BTS as admin so as to prevent this potential problem? I have BTS set to automatically run on startup so I don't have control of which account it is running under - I do NOT log in with admin privileges, so that suggests that BTS doesn't have them either.D

Does anybody know more about exactly how this works?