Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

I upgraded on iOS today without checking to see if it would allow for sync'ing with 1.4 devices. So I have 2.0 on iPhone all by itself and 1.4 everywhere else until I can get Ubuntu updated to 2.0 as that is a critical sync peer. Was quite content with 1.4 on iOS. Wish they'd be more flexible about downgrading. I really shouldn't have to backup each and every .ipa I care about manually.

I've stopped 1.4, replaced /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core with the new V2 from https://www.getsync.com/intl/de/platforms/desktop and started as normal. Works fine. But an official unofficial repo would be nice.

Linux arm version?

I download a btsync arm version and replace btsync-core with btsync and not works, and not start service.

p.d: raspberry and raspbmc

Linux arm version?

I download a btsync arm version and replace btsync-core with btsync and not works, and not start service.

p.d: raspberry and raspbmc

I finally managed to get it working, I just used the mobile app to scan the QR code and connect it to my account. Thanks though :)

Hi Folks,

in the last days many people has asked about the new version, but there was also a plenty of users asking for a separate repo since they want to keep the 1.4 version. I'm still thinking about how I can satisfy all requirements. I'm still quite unsure on how to proceed: every option has advantages and disadvantages:

1. Update all packages to the new version: this will make all people that want to stay on 1.4 unhappy and additionally will make it hard for them to roll back to an old version
  2. Create a new repository for Version 2/Name the packages for Version 2 differently: this will make all people unhappy that wants to update to version 2 since the majority of them do not know about the new repository/the new package name. There is a plenty of blog articles, news and howtos with information about the btsync repository. If people search google for btsnyc and linux, they will still find all that outdated information.
  3. Create a new repository for Version 1.4 and update the standard repository to version 2: this would give people that want to stay on 1.4 a chance to do so and also to install 1.4 from scratch. But in order to avoid the automatic update to 2.0 they have to manually switch the repository.

Personally I would prefer the solution 3. In any case I will try to release the new stuff on Sunday. So please stay tuned for news, especially if you want to keep your stuff on 1.4... Please share your opinions about the update strategy here in the forum.

Easy solution.

Create a BtSync2 package within the repo. When you install that, it should remove the old package and install the new package.

Then you have to decide to upgrade to BtSync2, but you don't need to set up any more repos for it.

Easy solution.

Create a BtSync2 package within the repo. When you install that, it should remove the old package and install the new package.

Then you have to decide to upgrade to BtSync2, but you don't need to set up any more repos for it.

This was also one of the ideas I took in consideration. But unfortunately it has the same side effect as solution 2: only people that ready the forum will be informed that they have to install btsync2 /btsync2-gui in order to get an update. The internet will be still full of articles that tell the to "apt-get install btsync"

OK Folks,

the decision has been taken. BitTorrent Sync 1.4 will be made available in a separate repository. I just published the last update to 1.4 (1.4.111) and duplicated the repository. If you want to stay on 1.4, you should read this message very carefully and follow the instructions below immediately, because I will publish the update to 2.0 in the next few days (perhaps tomorrow) and any old version will be updated if you do not change the repository.

If you already have any BitTorrent Sync package installed:

$(which sudo) rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tuxpoldo-btsync*.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.listsh -c "$(curl -fsSL http://debian.yeasoft.net/add-btsync14-repository.sh)"

If you want to install BitTorrent Sync 1.4 on a new machine:

sh -c "$(curl -fsSL http://debian.yeasoft.net/add-btsync14-repository.sh)"

Hi, I just used your instructions (btsync already installed) to "save" my 1.4 setup...

Now I have found out that I can't add my new folder (on my desktop) because it's 2.0 and my server is running 1.4 with 1.4 folders ... since several people are using this now, I don't want to change it back to classic to protect the others from the hassle...

What do I have to do to change it to the old repo to get the 2.0 update?

Will my old 1.4 classic folders on my server stay the same?

Edited by Sefer

Hi, I just used your instructions (btsync already installed) to "save" my 1.4 setup...

Now I have found out that I can't add my new folder (on my desktop) because it's 2.0 and my server is running 1.4 with 1.4 folders ... since several people are using this now, I don't want to change it back to classic to protect the others from the hassle...

Just create new folder on machine with 1.4 and sync it with machine with 2.0 (don't care if it asks you that folder is non empty everything will be synced)

Edited by Ciechom

Just issue the following commands on your machine and you will return to the default repository:

$(which sudo) rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tuxpoldo-btsync*.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.listsh -c "$(curl -fsSL http://debian.yeasoft.net/add-btsync-repository.sh)"

Yes. They are preserved and are still supported by 2.0 (you will see them as "1.4" folders). The only thing I do not know is if the 10-folder limit applies also to existing 1.4 folders....

Tuxpoldo thanks for this! I've a question: I've downloaded (and I'm using) the latest official release of BTSync from get sync websit. If I switch to your build, do I have to re-configure the identities and shared folders?

Thank you.