Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

A very small update....

btsync (1.2.3-2) unstable; urgency=low  * Localisation update  * Fixed missing Chinese localisation (filename was wrong)  * Adjusted library dependencies   -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Tue, 18 Mar 2014 23:08:45 +0100

updated to btsync (1.2.3-2) in debian via apt-get. Now my webui is blank! It was working perfect prior to this upgrade.

I have cleared cookies, tried new browsers but it is always blank. Any suggstions?

sync.log doesn't have anything useful and shows connection

[20140319 12:14:18.227] Incoming connection from 192.168.1.65:55555

[20140319 12:14:18.228] Incoming connection from 192.168.1.65:55555

[20140319 12:14:18.229] Incoming connection from 192.168.1.65:55555

[20140319 12:14:21.311] Incoming connection from 192.168.1.65:55555

[20140319 12:14:23.366] Incoming connection from 192.168.1.65:55555

/etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf

//!/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --config

//

// Default instance automatically created by debconf

//

// DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE MANUALLY - SERIOUSLY!!!

//

// THIS FILE WILL BE OVERWRITTEN AT EVERY UPDATE

// OR RECONFIGURATION SO DO NOT EVEN TRY IT

//

// USE dpkg-reconfigure btsync INSTEAD TO MODIFY

// THE CONFIGURATION

//

// DAEMON_UID=btsync

// DAEMON_GID=btsync

// DAEMON_NICE=0

{

"device_name": "beaglebone - Default Instance",

"storage_path" : "/var/lib/btsync",

"listening_port" : 55555,

"check_for_updates" : false,

"use_upnp" : false,

"download_limit" : 0,

"upload_limit" : 0,

"disk_low_priority" : true,

"lan_encrypt_data" : true,

"lan_use_tcp" : false,

"rate_limit_local_peers" : false,

"folder_rescan_interval" : 600,

"webui" :

{

"listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888",

"login" : "myuser",

"password" : "mypass"

}

}

Edited by dipole

updated to btsync (1.2.3-2) in debian via apt-get. Now my webui is blank! I have cleared cookies, tried new browsers but it is always blank. Any suggstions?

This phenomenon can not be due to the update, since the update does not affect in any way btsync itself. The update from 1.2.3-1 to 1.2.3-2 only contains fixes in the localised strings for debconf (the strings are used during initial installation or dpkg-reconfigure btsync). But since the service will be restarted after the update, perhaps some change that happened previously will become effective...

This phenomenon can not be due to the update, since the update does not affect in any way btsync itself. The update from 1.2.3-1 to 1.2.3-2 only contains fixes in the localised strings for debconf (the strings are used during initial installation or dpkg-reconfigure btsync). But since the service will be restarted after the update, perhaps some change that happened previously will become effective...

I have not touched anything since initial install and initial dpkg-reconfigure btsync. how should I fix this? Is there any files I can look at to troubleshoot? 

Edit, I got it working by uninstalling and reinstalling, now I just have to setup my sync folders again :(

Edited by dipole

I have not touched anything since initial install and initial dpkg-reconfigure btsync. how should I fix this? Is there any files I can look at to troubleshoot? 

The only thing that comes in my mind is some permission issue. Please check under which credentials the btsync process runs (ps axu | grep btsync-daemon) and verify the this corresponds to what you configured during dpkg-reconfigure and that the process has access to the storage_path (probably /var/lib/btsync).

Saying "I have not touched anything..." is like saying "It is not what it looks like..." when beeing catched by your wife when she comes home and finds you with your lover... :)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

after the release of 1.3.67 I made some tests and discovered that basically the release seems to work both with the server as the desktop GUI and user package. Nevertheless I noticed some different behaviour (much slower API access) and I'm a little bit afraid in publishing the new release without any tests made by more persons. Because of this, I will release the binary package for 1.3.67 today only on the YeaSoft repository and not on the Launchpad PPA (this will affect only about 30% of the users).

If there will be no really serious problems reported until tomorrow, I will publish the package tomorrow also on the Launchpad PPA.

btsync-common (1.3.67-1) unstable; urgency=low  * New upstream release -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Wed, 25 Mar 2014 15:25:12 +0100
Have fun and let's hope everything works as expected....

1.3.80 will sit at 100% CPU after an hour of two of running. Never experienced this in earlier versions.

For sure this is not a problem of the packages. Please report it as a BitTorrent Sync issue in the Troubleshooting Forum.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

enjoy this new version! As usual Launchpad will take longer...

btsync (1.3.0-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Added support for the new 1.3 advanced settings (Closes #120)  -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Thu, 03 Apr 2014 14:14:58 +0200

Last post, i promise :)

As it appear to be a bug on many different installation , is there any easy way to install a previous package version (1.3.77 for example)  that work better?

Hi , for reporting the problem of "You don't have permission to access this folder"  that seems to appear in Ubuntu, rapsberry and many other machne in the last version. I'm seraching for the log file to sent it to btsync team.

I follow this instruction

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/12658-if-you-have-syncapp-issue/

create a debug.txt file wiht "FFFF" content in /usr/lib/btsync-common/.sync but the log file in this directory  (/usr/lib/btsync-common/.sync) appear to be an old file and is not updated after btsynch restart

i have tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure btsync and configure a 30Mb file, but i really can't find the file (sync.log inside a .sync directory?)

Could you please help me to understand how to create the log file, or find it?

Thank you a lot for your work on this distribution

Sorry i find it :(

/var/lib/btsync

Bug alredy open

Hi antimojv,

first of all: The directory /usr/lib/btsync-common/.sync should not exist. The reason it exists on your system, is that you have started the btsync executable from this directory without any paramters, which should never ever happen.

The process is managed by the daemon scripts and you should NEVER start the executable manually unless you know exactly what you are doing. The problem is that the executable tries to startup against all odds and if started without any valid configuration file, it starts with a default configuration and creates its storage_path under the directory the executable is located.

And now let's clean up this mess:

First kill all btsync processes that may run in background from your previous tests:

sudo pkill btsync-coresudo pkill btsync-daemon

Then delete the unwanted storage_path:

sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/btsync-common/.sync

Now you have a clean system. The storage_path used by the default instance created by the server packages is located in /var/lib/btsync

I have no idea, if you are talking about the default instance created by the package installation routine or you are using an instance defined by a custom configuration file.

In any case you have to create the debug.txt file in the storage_path of your instance. If you are using the default instance created by the package manager, you will create it this way:

sudo echo FFFF > /var/lib/btsync/debug.txt

After that you should restart the daemon with

service btsync restart

and then you will find your log file in /var/lib/btsync/sync.log

Thank you , your support it's impressive !

I think i have a previous installation or have done (last year) some bad operation.

I clean all, as per your instruction.

Last starts were done, as you say, but the problem persist, i saw a lot of  ": WriteToDisk: Too many open files" (this is not a package problem i know but is blocking all sync operation for many people)

As it appear to be a bug on many different installation on linux machine

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/29255-btsync-error-check-too-many-open-files/

is there any easy way to install a previous package version (1.3.77 for example)  that work better?

Thank you a lot!

Last starts were done, as you say, but the problem persist, i saw a lot of  ": WriteToDisk: Too many open files" (this is not a package problem i know but is blocking all sync operation for many people)

As it appear to be a bug on many different installation on linux machine

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/29255-btsync-error-check-too-many-open-files/

is there any easy way to install a previous package version (1.3.77 for example)  that work better?

Thank you a lot!

This problem has to be solved by the BitTorrent Sync developers, but in the meantime, here a quick and dirty way to "downgrade":

1. Download the old version you want from the official download sources (e.g. http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/1.3.77/)
  2. Unpack the binary somewhere
  3. Overwrite the binary installed by btsync-common (in /usr/lib/btsync-common) with the binary you unpacked
  4. If you have installed on a i386 machine, you should take in consideration, that in /usr/lib/btsync-common there are two binaries - you must download, unpack and overwrite both)

This solution is really DIRTY. And remember: the next update, will overwrite the binaries...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

enjoy this new version featuring a security update and the possibility to bind BitTorrent Sync to a specific interface (see initial posting):

btsync (1.3.1-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Fixed access to several files in the storage path (Closes #122)  * Updated spanish translation  * Added support for post-installation triggers  * Added support for bind-shim (Closes #94)   -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Tue, 08 Apr 2014 13:47:10 +0200

I have an issue with the debian jessie package (1.3.87). 

When i restart the server and access the webinterface i see version 1.3.86 and the shares, after a screen refresh i see only version 0.0.0 and no shares.

I cleared cookies and cache, does not help. I tried chrome, firefox and my android tablet, all same results.

First time i see this, and it is only on my jessie server, i also have a debian stable server and that one is ok. Can you check the jessie package?

I wanted to mention a minor issue.

I have a synced folder with 72,757,664,493 bytes as reported by "du -sb" command.

The desktop GUI in the Folders tab reports that folder is "67.8 GB".

This is technically not correct and also inconsistent with Ubuntu's file browser which reports that folder is "72,8 GB".

GB is the International Unit System symbol for gigabyte which is 10^9 bytes. So 72,757,664,493 bytes = 72,8 GB.

GiB is the ISO/IEC 80000-13 symbol for gibibyte which is 2^30 bytes. So 72,757,664,493 bytes = 67.8 GiB.

I think either the symbol should be changed from GB to GiB or the number be calculated in the GB unit and be reported accordingly.

This causes confusion when comparing what the Sync tool reports and what other tools report and forces the user to double check if something is missing.

Edited by federicobt

First time i see this, and it is only on my jessie server, i also have a debian stable server and that one is ok. Can you check the jessie package?

Hi!

I have no idea, what's the problem. The package in the repository is the same for all distributions. In any case I checked again, what is stored in the repository:

leo@debpoldo ~/Development/btsync-deb $ reprepro list jessiejessie|main|i386: bind-shim 1.0-2jessie|main|i386: btsync 1.3.1-1jessie|main|i386: btsync-common 1.3.93-1jessie|main|i386: btsync-gui 0.8.2-1jessie|main|i386: btsync-gui-gtk 0.8.2-1jessie|main|i386: btsync-user 1.14.3-1jessie|main|amd64: bind-shim 1.0-2jessie|main|amd64: btsync 1.3.1-1jessie|main|amd64: btsync-common 1.3.93-1jessie|main|amd64: btsync-gui 0.8.2-1jessie|main|amd64: btsync-gui-gtk 0.8.2-1jessie|main|amd64: btsync-user 1.14.3-1jessie|main|armel: bind-shim 1.0-2jessie|main|armel: btsync 1.3.1-1jessie|main|armel: btsync-common 1.3.93-1jessie|main|armel: btsync-gui 0.8.2-1jessie|main|armel: btsync-gui-gtk 0.8.2-1jessie|main|armel: btsync-user 1.14.3-1jessie|main|armhf: bind-shim 1.0-2jessie|main|armhf: btsync 1.3.1-1jessie|main|armhf: btsync-common 1.3.93-1jessie|main|armhf: btsync-gui 0.8.2-1jessie|main|armhf: btsync-gui-gtk 0.8.2-1jessie|main|armhf: btsync-user 1.14.3-1jessie|main|powerpc: btsync 1.3.1-1jessie|main|powerpc: btsync-common 1.3.93-1jessie|main|powerpc: btsync-gui 0.8.2-1jessie|main|powerpc: btsync-gui-gtk 0.8.2-1jessie|main|powerpc: btsync-user 1.14.3-1jessie|main|source: bind-shim 1.0-2jessie|main|source: btsync 1.3.1-1jessie|main|source: btsync-common 1.3.93-1jessie|main|source: btsync-gui 0.8.2-1jessie|main|source: btsync-user 1.14.3-1
In any case you can check, what you have installed and how it identifies itself:

leo@debpoldo ~/Development/btsync-deb $ dpkg -l btsync-commonDesired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)||/ Name                      Version           Architecture      Description+++-=========================-=================-=================-=======================================================ii  btsync-common             1.3.93-1          i386              Private network P2P file synchronisation daemonleo@debpoldo ~/Development/btsync-deb $ /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core --helpBitTorrent Sync 1.3.93Usage:	  btsync-core-i686 [--config <path>] [--nodaemon] [--generate-secret] [--dump-sample-config] [--help] [--get-ro-secret <secret>] [--log file]Options:	--config - location and name of configuration file	--nodaemon - do not use daemon mode	--generate-secret - generate shared secret	--get-ro-secret - get read only secret for existing master secret	--dump-sample-config - dump sample config file	--log file - force logging to file in non-daemon mode	--help - print this message and exit
Sorry for the late answer. I was ill the whole last week...

Well, something is wrong. I installed latest update.

When i go to the webinterface i see still 1.3.86, then a refresh of the screen gives version 0.0.0 (like before)

The i do a restart and you see btsync has quit in the meantime. And i have 1.3.93 installed.

root@fileserver:~# service btsync restart[FAIL] Stopping btsync instance 'debconf-default':[....] Failed to stop btsync instance debconf-default ... failed![ ok ] Autostarting btsync instance 'debconf-default':.root@fileserver:~# dpkg -l btsync-commonDesired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)||/ Naam                     Versie            Architecture      Omschrijving+++-========================-=================-=================-=====================================================ii  btsync-common            1.3.93-1          i386              Private network P2P file synchronisation daemonroot@fileserver:~#

Have you done

/usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core --help

Are you really sure, that there is process still running based on another executable?...

Please look also that the synbolic link is pointing at the correct executable:

leo@debpoldo ~ $ ls -la /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemonlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Apr  7 22:01 /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon -> ../btsync-common/btsync-coreleo@debpoldo ~ $ ls -la /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-corelrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Apr 19 15:48 /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core -> btsync-core-i686

When i go to the webinterface i see still 1.3.86, then a refresh of the screen gives version 0.0.0 (like before)

...and the only explanation for this behaviour may be:

• Your browser does something terribly wrong. Bad plugins? A caching proxy on the way to btsync? Something between the browser and btsync?
  • There is an old version running somewhere on your machine...
Edited by tuxpoldo

It probably is not the browser since it behaves fine with my other btsync server install. The normal functioning server is running debian stable, the one with problems based on jessie, so jessie might be the problem, but then am i the only one using jessie?

root@fileserver:~# /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core --help
BitTorrent Sync 1.3.93
Usage:
          btsync-core-i686 [--config <path>] [--nodaemon] [--generate-secret] [--dump-sample-config] [--help] [--get-ro-secret <secret>] [--log file]
Options:
        --config - location and name of configuration file
        --nodaemon - do not use daemon mode
        --generate-secret - generate shared secret
        --get-ro-secret - get read only secret for existing master secret
        --dump-sample-config - dump sample config file
        --log file - force logging to file in non-daemon mode
        --help - print this message and exit
root@fileserver:~# ls -la /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 apr  8 13:52 /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon -> ../btsync-common/btsync-core
root@fileserver:~# ls -la /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 apr 19 16:15 /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core -> btsync-core-i686
root@fileserver:~#

OK:

1. Try to connect from a browser of another machine
  2. Check which btsync process is running and how long
  3. Reboot your server

And no. You are definitively not the only one using jessie. Look:

yeasoft-webhost2 /mnt/data/debian/logs # grep -c "/btsync/dists/jessie/main/source/Sources.gz" access.log2298

Today 2298 computers running jessie have done apt-get update.

Solved it.

The server btsync is using is on a openvz container (in proxmox). These work standard with a venet ip address (has no mac address).

Changed it to a veth ipadress (does have a mac address). And now i can access the webgui again.

Don't know what changed in the meantime because it used to work fine. Anyway, i'm happy it works again.