Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

OK. Than we must try to see, if the btsync core gives some meaningful error messages. Try the following as user root on the command line:

/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodaemon --config /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf

If you do not use the default config file, please replace /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf with the full path to the config file you have defined. But if you are using a different config file AND you have defined that the instance has to run under different user credentials, it is fundamental that you perform the test as the user under which you want the daemon to run.

Look if the btsync engine gives you any meaningful error messages and post them here.

root@lisse:~# /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodaemon --config /etc/btsync/user.sierink.conf

Alignment error

root@lisse:~# /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodaemon --config /etc/btsync/user.sierink.confAlignment error

OK. Now we can see what's the problem: the binary is incompatible with the processor. I would now suggest, that you post this problem as a new topic. Probably it's really a bug in the final mangling of the executable. Let the btsync developers decide how to solve it. Perhaps it may be a good idea, if you attach also the output of the following command:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
But it would be nice to know, if there is any meaningful return code. Can you please attach the output of the following command?

/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodaemon --config /etc/btsync/user.sierink.conf; echo "Return value: $?"

OK. Now we can see what's the problem: the binary is incompatible with the processor. I would now suggest, that you post this problem as a new topic. Probably it's really a bug in the final mangling of the executable. Let the btsync developers decide how to solve it. Perhaps it may be a good idea, if you attach also the output of the following command:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
But it would be nice to know, if there is any meaningful return code. Can you please attach the output of the following command?

/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodaemon --config /etc/btsync/user.sierink.conf; echo "Return value: $?"

root@lisse:~# /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodaemon --config /etc/btsync/user.sierink.conf; echo "Return value: $?"

Alignment error

Return value: 1

Hi Everybody!

Since the Debian and Ubuntu Server Packages for BitTorrent Sync are now quite stable, I think that's time for starting the localisation of the interactive installation procedure powered by debconf. I'm searching for volunteers that would translate a handful of strings used during the installation.

In order to make the work as easy as possible, I created an online localisation project. If you like to contribute, go to the PO Editor btsync-deb project and follow the instructions.

I created tables for German, Italian, French and Spanish, but if you like to translate the strings to another language, please let me know - I will add it.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

It would be so wonderfull if this apt-get thing would work with all this raspberry pi's out there and raspbmc .... 8(

As far as I know, raspbmc is not based on Debian and therefore it has not APT packet management. But I can tell you one thing: This "apt-get thing" will work with all this raspberry pi's out there as far as they are running Raspbian as their OS ;-)

Hi Everybody!

Since the Debian and Ubuntu Server Packages for BitTorrent Sync are now quite stable, I think that's time for starting the localisation of the interactive installation procedure powered by debconf. I'm searching for volunteers that would translate a handful of strings used during the installation.

In order to make the work as easy as possible, I created an online localisation project. If you like to contribute, go to the PO Editor btsync-deb project and follow the instructions

I created tables for German, Italian, French and Spanish, but if you like to translate the strings to another language, please let me know - I will add it.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

I can do the translation in Dutch.

It is not finished, just used the auto translate function. It is not bad at all but needs correcting. I ll let you know when it is done.

OK! Then please let me know. Now I already exported it and committed it to GitHub. I must update it as soon as you are finished...

Since i'm a github user too, maybe you can add me as collaborator in github repository. I think this will simplify maintenance of translation in future.  I use same login on github and on this forum.

OK. Found you. But Since I planned a lot of reorganization work in the next weeks, it would be perhaps a better Idea to work in this phase with fork and pull requests...

Once again I would like to return to umask and btsync odd behavior:

0) I have // DAEMON_UMASK=0002 in /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf

1) I have "Archive" folder syncing with Windows machine with following rights

drwxrwsr-x  19 root btsync 4.0K Oct 22 17:20 Archive

2) I copied "test_folder" with "test_file.iso" in it to the "Archive" folder on windows machine.

3) And here is the syncing result:

ls -lah /var/lib/btsync/Archive/test_folder/
total 19M
drwxrwxr-x  2 root btsync 4.0K Oct 22 17:20 .
drwxrwsr-x 19 root btsync 4.0K Oct 22 17:20 ..
-rw-rw-r--  1 root root    19M Sep  6 14:16 test_file.iso

Why did the group setting changed to root on test_file.iso instead of staying on btsync?

Once again I would like to return to umask and btsync odd behavior:

0) I have // DAEMON_UMASK=0002 in /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf

1) I have "Archive" folder syncing with Windows machine with following rights

drwxrwsr-x  19 root btsync 4.0K Oct 22 17:20 Archive

2) I copied "test_folder" with "test_file.iso" in it to the "Archive" folder on windows machine.

3) And here is the syncing result:

ls -lah /var/lib/btsync/Archive/test_folder/

total 19M

drwxrwxr-x  2 root btsync 4.0K Oct 22 17:20 .

drwxrwsr-x 19 root btsync 4.0K Oct 22 17:20 ..

-rw-rw-r--  1 root root    19M Sep  6 14:16 test_file.iso

Why did the group setting changed to root on test_file.iso instead of staying on btsync?

I would say: it's because . does not have rws on the group part. Only .. has rws.

Mhh. Interesting. I think this effect is due to the fact, that btsync does not behave as other standard Linux applications when creating directories.

Here is the standard behaviour: 

linux-dev-64 ~ # mkdir foolinux-dev-64 ~ # chown :www-data foolinux-dev-64 ~ # chmod g+s foolinux-dev-64 ~ # mkdir foo/barlinux-dev-64 ~ # touch foo/bar/newfile.txtlinux-dev-64 ~ # ls -la foototal 12drwxr-sr-x  3 root www-data 4096 Oct 22 17:47 .drwx------ 33 root root     4096 Oct 22 17:47 ..drwxr-sr-x  2 root www-data 4096 Oct 22 17:47 barlinux-dev-64 ~ # ls -la foo/bartotal 8drwxr-sr-x 2 root www-data 4096 Oct 22 17:47 .drwxr-sr-x 3 root www-data 4096 Oct 22 17:47 ..-rw-r--r-- 1 root www-data    0 Oct 22 17:47 newfile.txt
You remember? We had the same problem with the files. It was fixed after we reported the bug to the developers... I have reported the problem directly to the developers. Let's see if they are able to fix the bug.

Yes, I do. I can't understand why can't btsync act as system user e.g. btsync with own group. It would be much simplier for everything. Just add desired user to the group and voila. :)

One thing: you know, that you can let run btsync under different credentials? See DAEMON_UID and DAEMON_GID (read the initial posting). The only thing, is that this is currently not supported by debconf - that means: you must create and maintain your configuration file manually.

I followed the instructions and installed it successfully.

However some problems that I cannot solve:

The webui is not loading. Cannot establish connection to ip:port. Even if I try connecting from localhost.

Is btsync supposed to be running after following the instructions?

How to run it?

btsyncsh: btsync: command not found

One thing: you know, that you can let run btsync under different credentials? See DAEMON_UID and DAEMON_GID (read the initial posting). The only thing, is that this is currently not supported by debconf - that means: you must create and maintain your configuration file manually.

Thanks, Tuxpoldo! That was exactly what I needed.