Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

runlevel.conf updated as follows:

40      0,6     S               /etc/init.d/btsync

It looks like it is ok now, right?

I'm trying a reboot.... wait.... wait.... wait.... services coming up..... 

Yup!

root@LG-NAS:~# ps -fe|grep btsyncroot      2244     1  1 22:31 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodaemon --log file --config /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf

It seems ok!

Thank you!

Oh, well, I read this http://www.debianadmin.com/manpages/runlevelconfmanpage.htm and it says:

The ' S ' state is NOT meant to replace rc.local . One should not start daemons in this runlevel unless absolutely necessary. Eg, NFS might need the portmapper, so it is OK to start it early in the bootprocess. But this is not the time to start the squid proxy server.

So I'm wondering if this is correct or can lead to some sort of error anywhere...

Oh, well, I read this http://www.debianadmin.com/manpages/runlevelconfmanpage.htm and it says:

So I'm wondering if this is correct or can lead to some sort of error anywhere...

Yes. It is correct and totally irrelevant for your case. On any normal unix system, the runlevel S is something very particular. On your NAS it's not. It is the standard runlevel. It is so, because the guys that have designed the OS of your NAS have decided to do so. Your NAS is an embedded system. An embedded system is not so complex as a real computer with many users working on it. That may be the reason why the guys that developed the NAS decided to design everything to run in runlevel S.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a weird issue which might not be related to your package but i'll ask anyway.

First i ran without login details, the webinterface did not ask for it.

Then i added the login details to the config file and the webinterface did start asking for them.

Now i removed the login details again from the config file and the webinterface still asks for the login details, even after restarting the server.

By the way, i'm not the only one with this issue: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/25291-disable-webui-authorization/

for solution: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/25291-solved-disable-webui-authorization

is probably a bug in BTSync

Hi tuxpoldo

I installled your latest Server version on Debian Wheezy with no problems.

I then tried to install the Desktop version on Debian Squeeze and got this error message when using apt-get install btsync-user:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
btsync-user : Depends: python-appindicator but it is not installable

I searched and could not find a Squeeze version of python-appindicator.  I also checked the backport repository and found none there either.

Is the Desktop version no longer available for Squeeze or did I do something wrong?

What should I do?

Thanks

Keith

Hi tuxpoldo

I installled your latest Server version on Debian Wheezy with no problems.

I then tried to install the Desktop version on Debian Squeeze and got this error message when using apt-get install btsync-user:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

btsync-user : Depends: python-appindicator but it is not installable

I searched and could not find a Squeeze version of python-appindicator.  I also checked the backport repository and found none there either.

Is the Desktop version no longer available for Squeeze or did I do something wrong?

What should I do?

Thanks

Keith

It seems that the package does not exist for Debian squeeze: http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/python-appindicator

Unless the library is contained in another package, probable it is not possible to use the btsyncindicator on squeeze. Since I have no desktop test system running on squeeze, I have no idea how to solve the problem...

Thanks for the fast reply.

Would it be possible to pull the btsyncindicator from Squeeze and run without it?  I could live without the indicator.

Or is it too tied up in the other code to pull it.

Actually this sounds like a developer issue instead of part of the packaging.  Is that true?

Another topic...  I wrote what could loosely be called a "administrator's guide" for our server to be used by the next sysadmin we get.  It is composed of collected bits of information from a "lot" of different sites about using, installing, maintaining and configuring the server version.  I haven't spell checked, or did an editing clean up yet but it is more or less organized.

If you would like a copy to modify as needed and give to your users I would be happy to give you a copy.  If nothing else it is a great collection of information.

Keith

Would it be possible to pull the btsyncindicator from Squeeze and run without it?  I could live without the indicator.

Or is it too tied up in the other code to pull it.

It would be difficult, because all scripts reference the indicator. But perhaps it would be interesting to find out, what components would be needed make the indicator running also in squeeze. Have you tested if the wheezy package of python-appindicator can be installed also on squeeze or if there is an alternative way to get it working? If yes, we could prepare a customized version for squeeze.

Another topic...  I wrote what could loosely be called a "administrator's guide" for our server to be used by the next sysadmin we get.  It is composed of collected bits of information from a "lot" of different sites about using, installing, maintaining and configuring the server version.  I haven't spell checked, or did an editing clean up yet but it is more or less organized.

If you would like a copy to modify as needed and give to your users I would be happy to give you a copy.  If nothing else it is a great collection of information.

I would really appreciate this. This could improve substantially the documentation.

Re: Testing a Wheezy package in Squeeze.  In the past I have found doing that is generally a bad idea.  Also I do not currently have the time.  I will be installing Wheezy in a few weeks, so it is not of personal importance either.  Anyone using Squeeze should really upgrade, I am waiting for some custom software to be finished for use with Wheezy, otherwise I would have already upgraded.

I would be happy to send you the "administrator's guide"   email me at:  a_kdaniels @ yahoo.com and I will attach it to the email when I reply.

Keith

Released new btsync server package 1.2.1-1 with a few bugfixes and some great new features (see changelog for details).

Both Debian and Ubuntu builds are online on debian.yeasoft.net - The Ubuntu builds on Launchpad will be probably available in 2-4 hours :angry:. If you are Ubuntu User and prefer to switch to the debian.yeasoft.com repository, you should delete the file tuxpoldo-btsync-precise.list in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory and follow the instructions in the initial posting.

And here the change log:

btsync (1.2.1-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Allow the default instance to run also as dedicated user    instead of root (Closes #47)  * Added support for API key in default instance (Closes #48)  * Duplicate instance check a startup not always working with    certain name patterns (Closes #49)  * Improved syslog messages -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:18:52 +0100

Hi,

I understand first point in changelog as that ii can define a user. In the reconfigure stage i can only choose between root and btsync. I can not define another user. Or do i misunderstand it?

this is correct. In this first stage, I tried to address the most urgent requirement of some users that contacted my - and that was to create a dedicated user/group for btsync and permit to run the default instance under that credentials. But I'm planning for the next release to enhance the selection to select from all users of the system.

Hey guys, sorry to bug you but I'm having trouble setting up my btsync server correctly. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my remote computer at home.

If I use the default config (dpkg) all works well but I cannot get the server to run under a certain user.

I basically tried to follow this instruction: http://www.ramblinations.com/btsync-where-have-you-been-all-my-life.html

This is what my config files and rights look like:

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=865203

Problem is, as soon as I enter 'sudo service btsync start' it gives me an error message telling me to check my nose.conf file.

The .zip contains the relevant screenshots.

How do I upload pictures directly into this post? My Media is somewhat useless for me as I can't upload anywhere?

And thanks for you help in advance!

Edited by gnasirator

This is what my config files and rights look like:

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=865203

And thanks for you help in advance!

Very simple syntax error: there is a comma missing after the storage_path line

The next time, please include the contents of your config file in the message, it would be much more simpler as adding screen shots.

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried to install btsync on my Ubuntu desktop machine and have run into a problem.

Failed to start btsync instance debconf-default - please check...

and the file in question is as follows:

{
"device_name": "Desire - Default Instance",
"storage_path" : "/var/lib/btsync",
"listening_port" : 0,
"check_for_updates" : false,
"use_upnp" : false,
"download_limit" : 0,
"upload_limit" : 0,
"disk_low_priority" : true,
"lan_encrypt_data" : true,
"lan_use_tcp" : false,
"rate_limit_local_peers" : false,
"folder_rescan_interval" : 600,
"webui" :
{
"listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888",
"login" : "admin",
"password" : "No not really this"
}
}

Grateful for any suggestions

I just tried to install btsync on my Ubuntu desktop machine and have run into a problem.

Failed to start btsync instance debconf-default - please check...

and the file in question is as follows:

Grateful for any suggestions

Hi Jarulf,

the configuration file is fine, since it is autogenerated. In any case you should post it completely (also with comments, since they may contain additional configuration information).

Please do the following and post the output:

sudo /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodaemon --config /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf
p.S.: why are you using the server version on a desktop system?

btsync client now running on two Ubuntu machines. Next step is getting the server up an running on my pi, well it's already there but not the way I like it and I'm unsure how to set it up properly. It's using the default btsync user setup.

My main reason for testing btsync is to copy my ebooks, i.e my Calibre libraries to the pie where I'll have COPS serving the libraries to my ereader.

I want the Calibre files to be stored on my external hdd on /media/MyBook/Calibre and in a way that COPS can see them.

Does anyone else have this set up?

Is there any plans to support systemd which is supported in Debian 7?

*.service files for btsync you can get from archlinux package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bt/btsync/btsync.tar.gz

I spent some thought on it in the last weeks and I'm thinking about it. The support of systemd would affect both packages (the server and the desktop one) but I would probably start with the server package. Can you tell me, how to switch a normal debian server system running with init to systemd?

I spent some thought on it in the last weeks and I'm thinking about it. The support of systemd would affect both packages (the server and the desktop one) but I would probably start with the server package. Can you tell me, how to switch a normal debian server system running with init to systemd?

Of course.

# aptitude install systemd

# aptitude remove sysvinit

---> Type here "I am aware that this is a very bad idea" — because the sysvinit package is flagged as essential, but when systemd is used it is not actually essential. For details see https://wiki.debian.org/systemd

# aptitude install systemd-sysv

Than just reboot.

How can I configure btsync to get valid permissions for files again? I've configured it for umask 0002, but after latest update files permissions are set for root again, despite of umask 0002 ?

fixed, wrong umask

What is your definition of valid permissions?