Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Bumped into a sync issue with debian x64 & windows 7 ultimate x64. How come?

913f0b2adb3cfd39a8101e72d3f536e2.jpeg

I have no idea. I saw this happen a lot of times, and there are a plenty of users reporting similar issues totally unrelated to the linux version. From from my observation sometimes it helps to restart ALL btsync instances on all computers.

If this does not help, you should stop btsync on the computer apparently synching indefinitely, and search for files with the extension similar .!sync in the replicated paths. You should then delete those files and afterwards restart btsync.

In my case, this always solved the problem.

With the Server version i am able to run multiple instances of BT Sync on my server. But is there a way to bind those instances to different Network interfaces?

My Debian Server has to wired network interfaces, which belong to two different ISP's. So i want that every instance uses its own connection.

Is there a way to do that?

With the Server version i am able to run multiple instances of BT Sync on my server. But is there a way to bind those instances to different Network interfaces?

My Debian Server has to wired network interfaces, which belong to two different ISP's. So i want that every instance uses its own connection.

Is there a way to do that?

Unfortunately I know no way to achieve that. BitTorrent Sync allows only to bind the internal web server for the UI to a specific network interface, but not the engine itself. I would consider this a very useful change request.

Unfortunately I know no way to achieve that. BitTorrent Sync allows only to bind the internal web server for the UI to a specific network interface, but not the engine itself. I would consider this a very useful change request.

Agreed.  I have been waiting for this feature.  I find it very strange that the UI can be bound to a specific NIC, but not the engine.  From the sync.log file it seems to me that the engine binds to a single NIC, but I don't know how it decides.

After a long time, I'm pleased to announce a new version of the package for server usage. In addition to a bugfix for a quite ugly bug reported by Ephemeral in this post, there is a brand new feature requested by many users: the possibility to specify also full credential information for the daemon in the default instance managed by debconf. Enjoy this brand new release!

Changelog:

btsync (1.2.2-1) unstable; urgency=low   * It is now possible to select arbitrary system users as    credentials for running the btsync daemon  * It is now possible to select arbitrary system group as    credentials for running the btsync daemon (Closes #53)  * Fixed malformed number formatting in default instance    configuration file generation (Closes #56) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:16:16 +0100 

All builds on the YeaSoft Repository are already online. If you are using the launchpad repository, you have to wait a few hours, as ususal....

Since the package provides debconf support in several languages, every release with new features requires also some localisation efforts. Many people has helped in translating the debconf strings, but the more translators there are, the faster an up to date localised version can be released.

There is still some work to do in order to support all the new features in the currently available languages, and it would be really nice, if more translators join these efforts. If you think you can help, consider joining the team at https://poeditor.com/join/project?hash=021de7da0c2a0562da16dfcefcb26cc1

Currently there are still some strings that have to be translated to Catalan, Chinese (simplified), French, Greek, Polish, Russian and Swedish.

Minor fix version:

btsync (1.2.2-2) unstable; urgency=low  * Updated debconf localizations (Czech, Dutch, Galician, Hungarian,    Spanish)  * Fixed wrong warning about changed credentials -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Mon, 27 Jan 2014 09:21:11 +0100

OK - sorry for this additional update, but I forgot some debug code in the previous versions. This debug code generates a strange file in the home directory of the user root. This file contains only the list of groups in the system, so you can safely delete it, if you find it ;-)  Sorry again!

btsync (1.2.2-3) unstable; urgency=low   * Removed debugging log file forgotten during previous development -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Mon, 27 Jan 2014 16:24:02 +0100 

Since the package provides debconf support in several languages, every release with new features requires also some localisation efforts. Many people has helped in translating the debconf strings, but the more translators there are, the faster an up to date localised version can be released.

There is still some work to do in order to support all the new features in the currently available languages, and it would be really nice, if more translators join these efforts. If you think you can help, consider joining the team at https://poeditor.com/join/project?hash=021de7da0c2a0562da16dfcefcb26cc1

Currently there are still some strings that have to be translated to Catalan, Chinese (simplified), French, Greek, Polish, Russian and Swedish.

Done for french, but maybe needs a review.

You know that every updates brakes the autostart configs?

I have disabled the btsync autostart...as I only want it to run at night when I have no bandwidth caps. And i use cron for this. 

Every update restores the default settings (on at runlevels 2.3.4.5....)

I think the default settings should be:

chkconfig --list  | grep -i btsync
btsync                    0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off

You know that every updates brakes the autostart configs?

I have disabled the btsync autostart...as I only want it to run at night when I have no bandwidth caps. And i use cron for this. 

Hi Oliviakrk!

The management of daemon autostart settings is completely managed by the Debian package manager and I can change it only by implementing a complete manual override of that (that's not really a good idea).

But there is a standard solution for your use case. In order to avoid autostarting the btsync damon, you have to uncomment the line

AUTOSTART="none"

in /etc/default/btsync - this prevents all the daemons to be autostarted. In your cron-scripts, you should the use the following commands to start/stop the daemon:

service btsync start debconf-default

and 

service btsync stop debconf-default

If you have not defined a default instance but you are running with a hand crafted configuration file, replace debconf-default with the name of your config file without the extension.

The latest upgrade of btsync-user on Wheezy seems to have broken the web UI on my machine. The app indiciator menu says "Couldn't connect to Bittorrent Sync at http://127.0.0.1:9999/gui", and my browser comes up with nothing when I attempt to access it as well. btsync seems to still be working fine behind the scenes, however. Any clues?

I will answer your post in the Desktop Package Thread since it may be of interest also for other users.

Thanks for maintaining this PPA. It makes installing BTSync on Ubuntu much easier!

However, It seems that the version available in the PPA is 1.2.2.3. It seems that the current version available though the Bittorrent website is 1.2.82. Is there anyway to update the PPA, or am I wrong about the version numbers?

Thanks for maintaining this PPA. It makes installing BTSync on Ubuntu much easier!

However, It seems that the version available in the PPA is 1.2.2.3. It seems that the current version available though the Bittorrent website is 1.2.82. Is there anyway to update the PPA, or am I wrong about the version numbers?

Yes, you are wrong. The package btsync does not contain the BitTorrent Sync executable, but only all the stuff around it (like the init scripts, the configuration files, the readme files, the changelog, etc.) that is developed in a totally independent manner and therefore has it's own version number. This package depends upon the package btsync-common (installed automatically installed by the dependency management of the package management) which has the version 1.2.82-1. This package contains the BitTorrent Sync executable and is only updated when BitTorrent Inc. updates the package.

If you log in on the web ui, you will see directly under the BitTorrent Sync logo the line:

Version 1.2.82 ( up to date )

Yes, you are wrong. The package btsync does not contain the BitTorrent Sync executable, but only all the stuff around it (like the init scripts, the configuration files, the readme files, the changelog, etc.) that is developed in a totally independent manner and therefore has it's own version number. This package depends upon the package btsync-common (installed automatically installed by the dependency management of the package management) which has the version 1.2.82-1. This package contains the BitTorrent Sync executable and is only updated when BitTorrent Inc. updates the package.

If you log in on the web ui, you will see directly under the BitTorrent Sync logo the line:

Version 1.2.82 ( up to date )

OK, thank you for clarifying this. :)

the latest update have broken btsync on linux mint petra

i have deleted all the old config file but the software is frozen, is necessary to close and restart

Are you sure, you are writing about the server version? I do not really understand, what is happening on your machine. Which old config file? No config file is updated during the update process of the software...

no, i have installed btsync-user (and btsync-common) on 2 machines and several os like mint 16, ubuntu 13.10 and crunchbangi use bittorrent sync since this summer and never had problem since the end of january, but i am not sure that the problem affects ubuntu and crunchbang too because i don't have used this oses in the latest 2/3 weeksi use this ppappa:tuxpoldo/btsyncon mint/ubuntu and thisdeb http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsyncon crunchbang

i don't remember what are the old config file, i have deleted all the btsync file and folder and reconfigured the folder to share but none have changed

I have issues when bittorrent sync syncs from one machine to the next. It changes permissions so that I can't save anything and I have to go in and manually change the permissions back. I'm sure this is in a config somewhere.

I'd like to change two things about this. I'd like to change the user to a different user (not user name for the login, but the user who owns the folders) the user is currently set to btsync. I'd also like to change the group permission. The group permission is currently set to Group can Read and I'd like to change to Group can Read/Write.

Where do I need to look for the config and what settings would that be?

Thanks!