Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Released Version 1.0.134.1-1 only for i386 and amd64. Debian builds are available, Ubuntu builds are on the way.

btsync (1.0.134.1-1~sid) sid; urgency=low

- Fixed: Replaced binary version for i386 and amd64 with

versions that support the current libc

-- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com> Sun, 02 June 2013 00:51:12 +0200

Thank you very much for the new version; however, that did not fix the problem for me. Still does not sync on file change.

Sorry! I'm so stupid ;-)

There was still an issue in the build script that prevented the update of the binaries. It has now been fixed (I hope!). The next version is already online for Debian. Ubuntu builds are on the way...

Sorry! I'm so stupid ;-)

There was still an issue in the build script that prevented the update of the binaries. It has now been fixed (I hope!). The next version is already online for Debian. Ubuntu builds are on the way...

Thanks! Now it's working fine!

I'm running btsync daemon on a debian server, everyhing is fine except one tricky thing. I changed device_name in debconf-default.conf manually (the daemon was preliminarily stopped and started afterwards) but after upgrades (and today's too) it resets to default "ipXXX-XXX-XXX-XXX - Default Instance". How can I prevent this from happening?

... but after upgrades (and today's too) it resets to default "ipXXX-XXX-XXX-XXX - Default Instance". How can I prevent this from happening?

Currently there is no way. When the file is automatically created, the device name will be generated in this way:

"device_name": "$(hostname) - Default Instance",

It seems that the command hostname returns this strange name ipXXX-XXX-XXX-XXX. You have currently two possibilities:

1. Make sure, that the computer has a name that you like. You can verify this by typing hostname in the shell, but if your computer gets his address via DHCP, the hostname may be overwritten by DHCP.
  2. If you want full freedom in tweaking your configuration file, configure btsync via dpkg-reconfigure not to create a default instance and make a configuration file as you like.

I hope that this helps...

Thank you, I thought I was doing something wrong. BTW by XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX I meant server's ip address so there is nothing strange. :rolleyes:

I know ;-) If you have a debianoid system, you sould make sure the following preconditions are met in order to have a correct hostname:

1. There must be a file called /etc/hostname containing only the hostname of your system.
  2. In the file /etc/hosts there should be line for the main IP address of your system with the short and the full qualified name of your system. Instead of the main IP (that could change since it may be provided by DHCP), the address can also be 127.0.1.1 (this intentionally differs from localhost 127.0.0.1):

Example:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 yeasoft-gate2.ffm.yeasoft.net yeasoft-gate2

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Yep, these settings are as you described.

If

hostname

or

hostname -f

do not return the hostname you have configured on your machine, then there must be some process that changes the hostname on the fly. If the machine gets the address via DHCP, it is possible that also the hostname is set from the DHCP server. You can inhibit the renaming of your machine by DHCP editing the DHCP client configuration in /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

Hi, im getting the following issues on debian trying ot get things going

gpg: requesting key 6BF18B15 from hkp server pgp.mit.edu

?: pgp.mit.edu: Connection timed out

gpgkeys: HTTP fetch error 7: couldn't connect: Connection timed out

gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

gpg: Total number processed: 0

I don't get it, what could be simpler, a tgz file with two files in it, one a license file. You create a config file, if you want, then secure the login and you are just about done. Autostart if you need it, but if you've got a server that never stops, then neither does btsync. It's about as simple as you can get. Automating startup is trivial for any sysadmin and not much harder for non-sysadmins.

It's just as simple either way -- however, because of the extra option, those that don't have access to wget or curl will be able to install the packages as well. This method was not implemented because BTSync was difficult to setup and use, but simply to keep the system ubiquitous and usable by all under any circumstances.

Dear Mr. Moll,

I am using ubuntu raring, and I am syncing between windows and linux pc's.

I have installed btsync using your ppa. I am running btsync-daemon

I am having the followwing problem. btsync-daemon is syncing using root permissions.

As a result (i believe), it is creating double files and folders (please see attached screenshot).

How can I start the daemon as 'normal' user? Should I change CONGIF_DIR in /etc/init.d/btsync to a directory with 'normal' user permissions?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Max

post-26990-0-97491000-1371032432_thumb.j

I have installed btsync using your ppa. I am running btsync-daemon

I am having the followwing problem. btsync-daemon is syncing using root permissions.

As a result (i believe), it is creating double files and folders (please see attached screenshot).

How can I start the daemon as 'normal' user? Should I change CONGIF_DIR in /etc/init.d/btsync to a directory with 'normal' user permissions?

The problem is, that you installed the server version, but from what you say, I think that you should better use the desktop version. The server version is intended for use on servers and offers also the possibility to run several instances with different user credentials. This can be achieved by creating manually the configuration files for each user and not by letting debconf create a default instance.

Please use the desktop version of btsync by following the instructions in this post. This would certainly satisfy your requirements. Uninstall the server version with

sudo apt-get --yes --purge remove btsync

in order to delete anything related.

is it possible to integrate into the process of "dpkg-reconfigure btsync" to enter/change the following parameters?

- device_name

- storage_path

Hi Marcel,

as a general rule, installations should only ask for questions vital for the functionality. It is no problem adding "device_name" as a low priority question to the install routine. But I'm wondering why you want to customize also the "storage_path". A general storage in /var/lib/<appname> is standard for nearby any application. I can also add it to the questions in the configuration stage, but can you tell me why you want this?

Hey there, just installed this on my only Ubuntu server box. Seemed to all go well, but upon adding a folder to sync, it never actually starts syncing. It just shows "IP Address" | Synced on 06/14/13 21:15:35

0.0 kB/s up, 0.0 kB/s down

I cannot figure out where it installed to to find the config to enable debug mode either, help? Sorry for my lack of experience, I am still learning.

also, how do I stop/start btsync should I ever need to?

EDIT: I installed manually and it is syncing fine now. Not sure what the issue was.

I cannot figure out where it installed to to find the config to enable debug mode either, help? Sorry for my lack of experience, I am still learning.

Enable Debug Mode:

sudo echo FFFF > /var/lib/btsync/debug.txt

Disable Debug Mode:

sudo rm /var/lib/btsync/debug.txt

The Logile is /var/lib/btsync/sync.log

also, how do I stop/start btsync should I ever need to?

Stop btsync:

sudo service btsync stop

Start btsync:

sudo service btsync start

EDIT: I installed manually and it is syncing fine now. Not sure what the issue was.

What do you mean with "manually"? Installing without a default instance and creating the configuration file manually? Or using btsync directly from the binary archives without debian packaging?

Updated all packages to 1.1.15 - All Debian builds are now online. Ubuntu builds are on the way and should be online in about 1-2 hours.

Changelog:

btsync (1.1.15-1~sid) sid; urgency=low

* New upstream release
- Added possibility to reconfigure the device name
- Added debconf support for disk_low_priority
- Added debconf support for folder_rescan_interval
- Added debconf support for lan_encrypt_data
- Added debconf support for lan_use_tcp
- Added debconf support for rate_limit_local_peers

-- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com> Sat, 15 Jun 2013 14:52:14 +0200

All the new configuration options are not visible during initial setup (since it is only fine tuning). If you want to change these options, you have to do a

sudo dpkg-reconfigure btsync

But I'm wondering why you want to customize also the "storage_path". A general storage in /var/lib/<appname> is standard for nearby any application. I can also add it to the questions in the configuration stage, but can you tell me why you want this?

hello mr. moll,

i was asking for customizing "storage_path" because i use btsync at on of my raspberry pi which runs on a sd-card and a usb-hdd for the synced data. to increase the life of the used sd-card i need an another directory for "storage_path" because the meta-data are stored inside that directory. ;-)

greetings

marcel_sch