Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Thanks, that was very helpful. I know about my terminal window size problem, am currently trying to figure that one out.

So, what exactly did your script do when I answered NO to the question? Just installed btsync?

So I now need to configure the config files manually and also add btsync to the fitting rc runlevel?

So, what exactly did your script do when I answered NO to the question? Just installed btsync?

So I now need to configure the config files manually and also add btsync to the fitting rc runlevel?

You only have to create a suitable configuration file in /etc/btsync - all other stuff is in place. Please take a look at the documentation in /usr/share/doc/btsync

Updated all packages to 1.1.26 - All Debian builds are now online. Ubuntu builds are on the way and should be online in about 15 minutes.

Changelog:

btsync (1.1.26-1~sid) sid; urgency=low

* New upstream release

-- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com> Wed, 03 Jul 2013 22:20:42 +0200

Are there any news about weird umask behaviour?

Unfortunately not. I asked the developers, but up to now I got no answer... :-(

We are discussing about this. As soon as I know something new, I will let you know.

Edited by tuxpoldo

Updated all packages to 1.1.27 - All Debian builds are now online. Ubuntu builds are on the way and should be online in a few minutes.

Changelog:

btsync (1.1.27-1~sid) sid; urgency=low

* New upstream release

-- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com> Thu, 04 Jul 2013 16:59:15 +0200

Maybe this line (in /etc/init.d/btsync):

AUTOSTART="all"

should be placed before loading defaults from /etc/default/btsync, not after, as it is now.

Since for now option "AUTOSTART" from /etc/default/btsync not working, as it always set to "all" in /etc/init.d/btsync script.

Maybe this line (in /etc/init.d/btsync):

AUTOSTART="all"

should be placed before loading defaults from /etc/default/btsync, not after, as it is now.

Since for now option "AUTOSTART" from /etc/default/btsync not working, as it always set to "all" in /etc/init.d/btsync script.

Thank you for the report. It will be fixed in the next release!

All Debian builds are now online. Ubuntu builds are on the way and should be online in a few minutes.

btsync (1.1.27-2~sid) sid; urgency=low

- Fixed: AUTOSTART in /etc/default/btsync had no effect

- Added support for custom configuration files in btsync-user

-- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com> Sun, 07 Jul 2013 15:29:51 +0200

@Tuxpoldo: Thanks for the great contributions.

One question though:

Just wondering why I see 6 instance running:

pstree | more
init-+-/usr/sbin/amavi---2*[/usr/sbin/amavi]
|-/usr/sbin/postg
|-acpid
|-btsync-daemon---6*[{btsync-daemon}]

And another one, if I open htop I see 6 processes running like this:

/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodeamon --config /etc/btsync/complex.conf 

so I was wondering why the parameter --nodeamon?

Hi!

so I was wondering why the parameter --nodeamon?

The BitTorrent Sync executable has his own daemonization capability. But since it offers no possibility neither to set the umask, the user credentials nor control some other important process characteristics, the daemon scripts use the standard tool start-stop-daemon that manages the whole thing. In such a case, the executable must be started as real program, and you achieve this by specifying --nodaemon on the command line. Take a look at the startup script /etc/init.d/btsync and to the manpage of start-stop-daemon if you want to learn more about this topic.

Just wondering why I see 6 instance running:

Are you really sure? Try to run

sudo ps ax | grep btsync-daemon

and you will see, that only one instance is running. I tested it also on my datacenter server:

yeasoft-gate2 ~ # pstree
init-+-/usr/sbin/munin
|-atd
|-btsync-daemon---6*[{btsync-daemon}]
|-corosync---9*[{corosync}]
|-dbus-daemon
|-dhcpd
|-6*[getty]
|-ha_logd---ha_logd
|-in.tftpd
|-named---6*[{named}]
|-ntpd
|-5*[openvpn]
|-pacemakerd-+-attrd
| |-cib
| |-crmd
| |-lrmd
| |-pengine
| `-stonithd
|-rpc.idmapd
|-rpc.mountd
|-rpc.statd
|-rpcbind
|-rsync
|-rsyslogd---3*[{rsyslogd}]
|-sshd---sshd---bash---pstree
|-udevd---2*[udevd]
|-upstart-socket-
|-upstart-udev-br
`-zabbix_agentd---5*[zabbix_agentd]

yeasoft-gate2 ~ # ps ax | grep btsync
2558 ? Sl 0:01 /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --nodaemon --config /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf
16393 pts/1 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto btsync

As you see, also I have a 6* in the output of pstree but the output of ps ax shows only one instance running. If you look at the manpage of pstree, you will learn that the number represents the number of child threads (not processes). Each instance created by the btsync daemon scripts creates a btsync process.

Hi,

Is it possible to install it on Debian Jessie?

When adding this to apt I get

Err http://debian.yeasoft.net jessie/main Sources
404 Not Found [IP: 77.232.232.105 80]
Err http://debian.yeasoft.net jessie/contrib Sources
Err http://debian.yeasoft.net jessie/non-free Sources
Err http://debian.yeasoft.net jessie/main i386 Packages
Err http://debian.yeasoft.net jessie/contrib i386 Packages
Err http://debian.yeasoft.net jessie/non-free i386 Packages

Hello tuxpoldo

Thanks a lot for all the work you put into this and the way how you already helped so many users!

This is really very much appreciated by many I am sure and certainly by myself!

I am running your repository successfully and would like to now run another btsync instance with different user permissions.

It's going to be "www-data" to being able to use btsync in combination with my owncloud installation.

I am running 12.04 precise headless server.

I am looking at the sample config file "user-new.conf", but can't understand where you put the parameters DAEMON_UID and DAEMON_UMASK as you describe in your comments in the file. all I see is:

{

"device_name": "John Doe's btsync Server",

"listening_port" : 0,

"storage_path" : "/home/jdoe/.btsync",

"check_for_updates" : false,

"use_upnp" : false,

"download_limit" : 0,

"upload_limit" : 0,

"webui" :

{

},

"shared_folders" :

[

{

"secret" : "bGTbrwreXPW4XxHEmTKnX",

"dir" : "/home/jdoe/syncdir",

"use_relay_server" : true,

"use_dht" : false,

"search_lan" : true,

"use_sync_trash" : true

}

]

}

I hoped you might be able to point me into the right direction?

Thanks a lot in advance!

KR, Chris

I am looking at the sample config file "user-new.conf", but can't understand where you put the parameters DAEMON_UID and DAEMON_UMASK as you describe in your comments in the file. all I see is:

The file has a huge comment section at the beginning (lines staring with //) with a complete documentation on how to set the parameters.

Since it is not btsync itself which understands DAEMON_UID, DAEMON_GID and DAEMON_UMASK, these parameters have to be set in the comments section.

Simply specify before of the json part of the configuration file the DAMON_ parameters:

//
// DAEMON_UID=myuserid
//

The daemon script parses the parameters right out of the comment section.

Thanks a lot tuxpoldo

I thought that when the config file is being read by the application that the commented (//) lines were always ignored.

I just learned that this is not true and obviously when reading you explanation in the files now again then it all makes sense and you said it from the beginning.

I tried it with www-data and it starts and works.

Thanks a lot again. I think I can take it from here!

;-)

I am still stuck on 1.0.134, which is outdated. My pc client is on 1.1.27, and refuses to sync with the server now, due to being outdated I think. I ran apt-get install btsync and it said it would update, but I'm still outdated.

for reference I am on Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

any ideas? or have you not released a newer version yet?

I am still stuck on 1.0.134, which is outdated. My pc client is on 1.1.27, and refuses to sync with the server now, due to being outdated I think. I ran apt-get install btsync and it said it would update, but I'm still outdated.

for reference I am on Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

any ideas? or have you not released a newer version yet?

As you can read in this thread, all the packages for debian/ubuntu are always on the latest level. There is no explanation for what you are describing. If you initially have installed btsync using the PPA, you should always be up to date.

As you can read in this thread, all the packages for debian/ubuntu are always on the latest level. There is no explanation for what you are describing. If you initially have installed btsync using the PPA, you should always be up to date.

Is there a way for me to check the version installed from terminal? I am going based on what the web GUI says. is the proper way to do an upgrade sudo apt-get upgrade ?

I did that, it said it updated, but it doesnt appear to have changed. Do I need to restart the daemon somehow? (if so how? completely new to this)

Is there a way for me to check the version installed from terminal? I am going based on what the web GUI says. is the proper way to do an upgrade sudo apt-get upgrade ?

I did that, it said it updated, but it doesnt appear to have changed. Do I need to restart the daemon somehow? (if so how? completely new to this)

You can see which version was installed by the debian/ubuntu packaging by executing the commmand

sudo dpkg -l btsync

I suppose that you have more than one btsync running on your machine. One installed via the repository with

apt-get install btsync

the other installed by other means. This is the only explanation for what you are describing. One thing is clear. If the Web UI does not show the version of the currently installed btsync (that should be 1.1.27), then it comes from another btsysnc.

p.S.: Are you sure to perform a regular

sudo apt-get update

in order to keep your package index file synchronised with their sources? If you did not, then your computer does never update anything! Keeping the machine up to date means to perform the following commands on a regular base:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

You can also check which version you have installed and what is the latest available version by typing

apt-cache policy btsync

Perhaps you've installed both btsync and btsync-user? You can check by running

dpkg -l | grep btsync

Updated all packages to 1.1.30 - All Debian builds are now online. Unfortunately todays there is high load on launchpad and so Ubuntu builds will be probably available in about 10 hours (launchpad shows 6-10 hours for all builds). I'm sorry, but I can't change this :-(

Changelog:

btsync (1.1.30-1~sid) sid; urgency=low

* New upstream release

-- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com> Wed, 10 Jul 2013 00:31:45 +0200