Unattended installation and configuration on Windows

dhs

I too really need this feature. I'm certain my company would even donate towards the cause to have this feature added right away to meet certain deadlines..

Well, be sure to post your desire for this feature in the wishlist thread. The developers are watching the wishlist thread, and are collating all the suggestions/requests there to see which are the most popular. I doubt if offering them money will influence the order in which new features are added to BitTorrent Sync, rather, they will be added based on their popularity & ease of implementation.

Also, don't forget BitTorrent Sync is currently still in "alpha" - the primary focus at the moment is getting it stable/eliminating bugs, rather than adding a ton of "new features" at this very early stage of development... give them time, and I'm sure a whole host of new features will make it into BitTorrent Sync in due course, once it graduates out of its alpha/beta status.

In terms of your company "deadlines" - again, bear in mind that this is only "alpha" software, so your company may be wise to wait a bit anyway until it graduates out of alpha before rolling it out!

• 2 months later...

If you can decode the settings.dat you could just drop btsync.exe together with settings.dat in any directory you like. The installation process is not strictly necessary.

There's an easier way - save the Sync installer to a USB memory stick and run it from there. You will then see a "Portable Mode" option. Install using this option onto your memory stick.

The end result is that all the files you need to run Sync are confined to your USB stick. You can then simply "copy" these files over to your other devices to essentially "silently install" Sync on those devices as well. :)

There's an easier way - save the Sync installer to a USB memory stick and run it from there. You will then see a "Portable Mode" option. Install using this option onto your memory stick.

The end result is that all the files you need to run Sync are confined to your USB stick. You can then simply "copy" these files over to your other devices to essentially "silently install" Sync on those devices as well. :)

Does this portable mode still exist on the latest version, i have tried this a muttiple times and never had the option.

Also, with this portable option would i then be able to give a copy to multiple usb keys and create a swarm of replicated USB keys?

Does this portable mode still exist on the latest version, i have tried this a muttiple times and never had the option.

Yep - it's still there in the latest build (1.1.48):

Sync_Portable.jpg

...but as I say, the "Portable Mode" option is ONLY available if you're running the installer directly from a USB Stick/SD Card, etc

Also, with this portable option would i then be able to give a copy to multiple usb keys and create a swarm of replicated USB keys?

In theory! ...although I've not tried this myself

I think an autostart option would be more than helpful for most users. even if it took root permissions on android. I hate that the app doesn't start after I reboot my phone. It would really help for constant sync of pictures and other data.

Hmmm.... this belongs in another thread!! The subject of this thread is "Unattended installation and configuration on Windows" - this bears no relation to your post!

Do files get hashed when they are indexed? I have files that have different names and but same exact MD5 and they are still being sent. I have 3 computers that are syncing files, two have the files but some of the names are different. Do files get hash checked before sending to save bandwidth and space. There should be an option to do name checking and/or hash checking before sending file. The two computers that have the files are sending things back and forth to each other even though they have the same hash when completed. This is wasting bandwidth from the 3 pc that could be downloading a lot quicker if the other two weren't wasting upload bandwidth.

...this also belongs in another thread!! The subject of this thread is "Unattended installation and configuration on Windows" - this bears no relation to your posts!

Need an option for mobile to mobile transfer to show and input secret, instead of only QR codes. This way two or more users could use the app to sync things when in different areas and cannot scan the QR code..

Again, please do not post off-topic - the subject of this thread relates to the unattended installation & configuration on WINDOWS - Questions relating to the Android app belong in other threads.

• 4 weeks later...