Latest Sync Build: 1.1.70

Could you please create dump file of BT sync process while it uses a lot of CPU and send it to us (syncapp@bittorrent.com)?

Please run Activity Monitor, select BitTorrent Sync process --> Sample Process --> Save. Then attach created file to email and send us.

Sorry! I saw your answer too late. This Mac has already be update to 1.1.48. I have a second Mac. Should I postpone the update hoping that it will happen again?

It would be really great having some /latest symlink to the latest version, on the synapp server… This way, we may use some wget stuff with md5 checksum in order to auto-update the app when we can't use the "check_update" stuff (like, binary not owned by the running user…).

Using BTSync 1.1.48 on Windows7(64), BTSync.exe consumes a lot of memory. At the beginning, it uses around 35M, but after 3 hours it jumps like 300M. So, I run BTSync with the WindowsXP SP3 compatible mode on the same Windows7, and this time it uses only 35M and stable. Any idea?

Just a note for anyone else pulling their hair out trying to get btsync working on Linux: putting it in /usr/local/bin/btsync might be logical but will create such a huge permission mess that you will never get it working. Just give in and throw it in /home/user/btsync or someplace else nice and open

I've been running BTSync for a few weeks now on a Windows 7 machine and a Raspberry Pi, using the Pi to backup my Desktop PC. Around the time I installed v1.1.42 I also figured out how to run the Arm version on the Pi with the config file (I'm new to Linux), enabling me to use a password to login to the WebUI.

After installing v1.1.48 I noticed that the WebUI was no longer working and would not display in my browser, even after clearing the cache. Restating BTSync without the config file solves the problem. Restarting with the config file causes the problem again.

Has something changed in the way v1.1.48 reads the config file?

Saunderos

(Loving the BTS. Have the option to leave the transferred files encrypted on a particular machine and you've blown AeroFS out of the water :D )

Just a note for anyone else pulling their hair out trying to get btsync working on Linux: putting it in /usr/local/bin/btsync might be logical but will create such a huge permission mess that you will never get it working. Just give in and throw it in /home/user/btsync or someplace else nice and open

I have it in /usr/local/bin on all my linux boxes, no problem whatsoever. You might run in trouble using btsync without a given config, as the default ist to create a .sync folder in the directory where the binary resides. So a user call of btsync (without --config) will result in btsync trying to create /usr/local/bin/.sync which should fail as users normally aren't allowed to write there.

Anyway I would also appreciate btsync respecting $HOME so it could create $HOME/.sync instead of <path of directory of btsync>/.sync which is indeed ridiculous.

BTW. I use following line for upgrades in case anyone is interested:

VER=1.1.48 ; curl http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/$VER/btsync_x64-$VER.tar.gz | gunzip -d - | sudo tar xfv - -C /usr/local/bin && /etc/init.d/btsync restart

You are right the file was blocked. I didn't even know that option existed. Thanks!

You're welcome :) - yes, this is the default setting for files downloaded from the internet on Windows Server 2003 & 2008 (and variants WHS v1 & WHS 2011) - it's a little annoying that you don't get any kind of notification/warning through when you try to run the downloaded file - it just doesn't do anything!

Since updating to 1.1.48 today I have found that it keeps freezing on one computer but not the other. I'm syncing like 150,000 files that take up 24 gigs. The number didn't seem to make a difference before so I'm not sure if that is why or not.

Up until today it worked flawlessly. I installed the update and it never seems to get through indexing and eventually just stops responding.

-----

update to this post - I ran taskmgr and had 4 btsync processes running even though I had the program turned off. I was unable to endtask any of them but a reboot of the server seems to have put everything back to normal

Since updating to 1.1.48 today I have found that it keeps freezing on one computer but not the other. I'm syncing like 150,000 files that take up 24 gigs. The number didn't seem to make a difference before so I'm not sure if that is why or not.

Up until today it worked flawlessly. I installed the update and it never seems to get through indexing and eventually just stops responding.

Well, please see this thread for how to report your issue & submit logs

Has anyone problems installing 1.1.48 on Windows Server 2008?

I can install 1.1.42 without a problem. But when I launch the 1.1.48 executable nothing happens. I tried downloading again but got the same result.

I didn't know about the unblock option in Windows, but I had same problem and when I run the install via Command Window it works. So that might be a faster work around.

Guest idef1x

Anyway, as these are all "advanced settings" within Sync, you shouldn't really need to worry too much about them for normal use of Sync!

Maybe a silly question, but how exactly do you have to put them in the config? It's not completely clear to me. Does it need a separare header or so? When I just add one off the advanced settings at the bottom, just before the } and restart btsync, I get

Error while parsing config file: Unexpected end of config file (are you missing '}') ?

the setting I tried to add is for example:

“max_file_size_for_versioning”: 100

edit: added sample setting trying to add

Edited by idef1x

I have it in /usr/local/bin/btsync on my raspberry pi and even create an init file for it and I have absolutely no issues as long as you run it with the same user who owns the files.

I have it in /usr/local/bin/btsync on my raspberry pi and even create an init file for it and I have absolutely no issues as long as you run it with the same user who owns the files.

The "correct" place to put it in Linux is the /opt directory (optional software not under package management). e.g. /opt/btsync/

Then you can symlink it into /usr/local/bin and everything will work nicely.

The "correct" place to put it in Linux is the /opt directory (optional software not under package management). e.g. /opt/btsync/

Then you can symlink it into /usr/local/bin and everything will work nicely.

...unless you use installation packages for your favourite distribution ;-)

I am using version 1.1.48 ARM build on my Raspberry Pi and after running for a day or two I see that the btsync process is using +50% of the memory (using the top command). I did not have this problem with previous versions. I also see the increase in memory usage even when there are no files being synchronized. I have been just rebooting the RPi every other day or so.