Latest Sync Build: 1.1.70

I didnt want to scare away people from using BTsync, because it is a great idea.

I wanted only to point out, that your security relies on your choosen basic authentification. Therefore you should choose a strong one.

For now I would not recommend to forward the ports.

As far as I have looked android and windows package is not affected, because there is no webgui (or I need to look more closely).

By the way: Is there a way to report vulnerabilities for btsync (I have still a few ideas).

When i add something in the 69 Version on windows ... it's deleted after 20 minutes automaticly ... XXX has removed ...XXX ... the files all get removed automaticly by my client - but i doid not delete anything ... strange ...

Edit : Reverting back to 48 solved the problem ... strange 2 ...8)

When i add something in the 69 Version on windows ... it's deleted after 20 minutes automaticly ... XXX has removed ...XXX ... the files all get removed automaticly by my client - but i doid not delete anything ... strange ...

Edit : Reverting back to 48 solved the problem ... strange 2 ...8)

Hi fogbav

It very interesting problem for us.

It would be nice if you can reproduce your problem and send feedback with debug logs from your machines.

You need:

Step 1. Turn on Debug Logging.

Windows and Mac: click on BitTorrent Sync icon and select "Enable Debug Logging".

Linux: create file debug.txt with contents of FFFF in the folder where btsync binary is located.

Step 2. Reproduce issue.

Please let Sync collect logs for at least 15 minutes to get enough information.

Step 3. Attach log files to your email and send us.

Windows: %APPDATA%\BitTorrent\ Sync\sync.log

Mac: ~/Library/Application\ Support/BitTorrent\ Sync/sync.log

Linux: ./sync/sync.log

Thanks advance!

Just upgraded from 1.1.48 to 1.1.70 on Linux. I LOVE that the main preferences tab has a new tab for Authorization, but as far as I can tell, I think it could use a little work:

• Especially since the Password field shows only masked chars, there should be a 'confirm password' field too. It doesn't bother me, since I can copy a password in from lastpass, but I'd imagine fat fingers are a problem for a lot of people.
  • When coming back to the webui, and logging in, I would prefer a login via a modal window, or really anything else in the same browser window, as opposed to a new browser window. Using a new browser window can be annoying if you want to close the original browser tab / window, and it also is unclear which original viewport the new window is related to, which is a problem if you are on a LAN and trying to access multiple webguis at the same time.
  • Whether or not there are any restrictions for passwords, this should be stated. On one machine I experimented with a 20 char password with special chars. Now when I copy the password back in, it doesn't work. Too many chars? Can't handle special chars? Or red herring and something else is wrong? By the way, I'm not quite sure what to do about this to fix the problem, which brings me to...
  • some way to do a password reset. Maybe I just need to delete some config file (if I have access to the .sync dir, I would think I had permission to reset this), but there should be a way to do this, and instructions shouldn't be too hard to find.

Even if it's a bit rough around the edges, thank you for implementing this feature!

Edit: I did reset my password. I made a config file, set the password to nothing (empty string: "") and restarted btsync, then set a new password in the webui. I assumed this was more secure, since the password would be hashed, and the hash would be stored. After doing this, I checked. A grep showed the plaintext password in the sync.log file. So I guess that's another thing I'd like changed. The plaintext password shouldn't be stored, and instead a salted and hashed password should be used. It is only protecting the ui though (I think) so maybe it's not that big of a deal. The new and old passwords are also listed in the log separated by ampersands, so that (though not definitive) leads me to believe special chars in pwds are not allowed.

BT-Sync NEVER updates for me automatically... I always need to download the new version manually.

Why? Which option may be preventing the auto-update feature when I have auto-updating enabled?

While trying to update to 1.1.69, or 1.1.70.

Don't worry - it's not just you! Not every "Beta" build of Sync is pushed out via auto-update! Once Sync migrates out of Beta, auto-update will become fully enabled.

Previous versions worked great for me, but ever since I updated to BitTorrent Sync v1.1.6.9 and when it's busy syncing I'm experiencing issues with my LAN connection. It randomly occurs that the LAN connection drops out, as in disconnects showing a red X. (like this) After a few seconds it reconnects and continues syncing. Just happens from time to time.

I haven't installed any other software, other than the updated version of BitTorrent Sync. Are there other people experiencing this? I could try to revert back to an older version, but am I able to sync with an older version if the server is v1.1.70?

What is this...??? Future plans for a plus version I see?

strings ./btsync

Too many activations

A single purchased copy of BitTorrent Sync Plus can only be installed on a set number of computers. This copy has been installed on too many different computers.

Please either purchase a new copy for this computer, or contact us at http://help.bittorrent.com if you think you're getting this message in error.

It was mentioned some time ago that there will be a business version. I do hope it'll only include enterprise-grade features like custom trackers and they won't make the free version painful as many companies do nowadays. I guess this is why they've kept quiet about open-sourcing and future plans. The BitTorrent team is developing great software so they deserve to be compensated for their hard work, nobody can live on goodwill, but if they start putting in ads or monetizing essential features, I'll be disappointed. I trust they'll make the right decisions.

I don't get the secretive attitude however. It's not like we all would just pack our things and abandon the project. In fact, I'd be happy to pre-order a paid version to support faster development and more disclosure. Provided it won't be above the $10 price range. Most importantly unlimited API and open-sourcing the protocol is a must have if BTSync is to be the new major player in file synchronization and P2P utilities.

That's my two cents.

What is this...??? Future plans for a plus version I see?

It was mentioned some time ago that there will be a business version. I do hope it'll only include enterprise-grade features like custom trackers and they won't make the free version painful as many companies do nowadays.

I have it on good authority that the current "free" (personal) edition of Sync will not be "crippled" and no existing features will be removed from it as/when a business-grade "Plus" edition becomes available. :) - (See also "Will BitTorrent Sync remain free, or will they start charging for it once it comes out of beta?" in the Unofficial FAQ)

The Sync team are fully aware of the Cubby story, and are determined NOT to go down that same route!

According to the team:

"We do have specific plans for Sync for business. This version of Sync will ... have features that is required by enterprises and SMB. At the moment Sync is pure consumer product that might be used in some business cases."

So for home and the majority of small business users (I don't mean business users who aren't very tall! :lol:), the functionality that the personal edition of Sync offers will continue to be adequate for their needs!

The business-grade "Plus" version will offer some additional features/enhancements geared more towards the needs of larger organizations/corporations and those with "enhanced" security needs.

In summary then - the current free Sync product will remain free and not have features taken away from it! :)

The business-grade "Plus" version will offer some additional features/enhancements geared more towards the needs of larger organizations/corporations and those with "enhanced" security needs.

This is by far the biggest reason I'd like to see this open sourced. I want the security vetted by the community. The concept of there being better / more security for an enterprise version makes me anxious. Unless you mean something DRMish, there shouldn't be any real security present in one version and not the other.

There are ways to license it so they can still make a buck, and make their code readable. It's all for the sake of good security. In fact, I'd wager they would make more money doing this, since people would trust the security more making it more popular.