Latest Sync Build: 1.1.70

is there a reasson why there is this long between the version?

Please appreciate that Sync is still in "Beta", and there is currently no formal release schedule for new builds - each new build is ready when it's ready!

Given that the current version of Sync, 1.1.70, is a pretty stable Beta build for the majority of users, there has been no urgency to push a new build out to fix any "critical" issues, and there's no point in putting out a new build for the sake of it just because there hasn't been one for a few weeks!

Sometimes it can be several weeks between builds as the Sync team don't want to push new builds out to the masses until they have been tested and deemed stable enough for a public release, as I'm sure you can appreciate.

I start bittorrent sync 1.69 on FreeNAS (FreeBSD) with this command (Init/Shutdown Scripts):

/mnt/NAS1GB/btsync/btsync --config /mnt/NAS1GB/btsync/sync.conf

This is my configuration:

Version FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35) Plattform AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ Speicher 2011MB

The following message appears at startup in /var/log/messages:

Sep 16 22:13:26 freenas kernel: WARNING pid 2288 (btsync): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff8004667e

What can I do to solve this Warning-message?

Thanks for any advice.

-merlinuwe

This post doesn't seem to be as updated as it should. The latest version is 1.1.78 (for windows) and the latest build here for windows is 1.1.69. The latest builds can actually be found here http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html

Hmmm... the Windows version linked to from http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html (Direct Link: http://download-lb.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/windows/track/stable) is currently 1.1.70... not quite sure where you've got 1.1.78 from?! :unsure:

Hmmm... the Windows version linked to from http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html (Direct Link: http://download-lb.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/windows/track/stable) is currently 1.1.70... not quite sure where you've got 1.1.78 from?! :unsure:

Weird. Does the version number in windows not match the actual build number? I can assure you, I am running 1.1.78 and I downloaded it from that link just a couple days ago. Oddly enough, I just downloaded that file again to make sure something weird wasn't going on and the size of the file I downloaded just now seems to be smaller by 50 kilobytes. 

1178.jpg

anything difrent in that version?

There were no new features between 1.1.70 and 1.1.78, and likely only bug fixes. However, the fact that 1.1.78 isn't currently available suggests that the developers found a particular issue with it, and felt that 1.1.70 was the more stable option for users at this time.

There were no new features between 1.1.70 and 1.1.78, and likely only bug fixes. However, the fact that 1.1.78 isn't currently available suggests that the developers found a particular issue with it, and felt that 1.1.70 was the more stable option for users at this time.

The NSA library threw an error in certain circumstances. This will be fixed though.

/troll mode  :rolleyes:

If that is true, the developers should have re-posted the 1.1.70 build with a version number greater than 1.1.78, so that 1.1.78 installations would see a "new" version and upgrade to it.

If that is true, the developers should have re-posted the 1.1.70 build with a version number greater than 1.1.78, so that 1.1.78 installations would see a "new" version and upgrade to it.

In all honesty, the developers are currently focused more on Sync 1.2, and I suspect given the apparent short lived appearance of 1.1.78, not enough people downloaded it and/or the potential issue(s) that seemingly led to its subsequent removal were obscure enough not warrant re-building 1.1.70 again with just a higher build number!

The bottom line is that the "current" latest build publicly available is 1.1.70. If a small number of users managed to obtain 1.1.78 and this is running for them without issue, fine - but other users who don't have 1.1.78 shouldn't feel as though they're "missing out", as there were no new features with this build... and as I say, Sync 1.2 is just around the corner anyway! :)

I am using 1.1.70 on all machines.

The only linux machine (that is up 24/7) had a full disk. Other Windows 7 and Windows XP clients were getting corrupted (probably incomplete) files and sometimes even folders were disappearing.

Very annoying, but once I figured out the problem, the fever was over :)

I am using 1.1.70 on all machines.

The only linux machine (that is up 24/7) had a full disk. Other Windows 7 and Windows XP clients were getting corrupted (probably incomplete) files and sometimes even folders were disappearing.

Very annoying, but once I figured out the problem, the fever was over :)

And the problem was...?

Hello people.

Thank you for this great product, a group of us are using it and it hasn't missed many beats for us.

One thing that we have found, and that is a little bit of a show stopper for us, is that re-naming files are not handled well.

Our scenario is that I have the master copy of data, and everyone else has read only access.

If my files are re-named then they don't always get synched cleanly - we have had issues of some files just not being changed in the downstream systems. One or two files, this isn't a huge issue for as I could ask people to manually change them perhaps (haven't actually tried that, not sure what it would do).

My bigger issue however, is that I am on a veeery slow upload speed here in Australia, and a whole bunch of files (probably about 50Gb or more, and in a whole pile of different directories) have been renamed, so it would be a very onerous task to get people to change them manually, plus, I am not going to be able to keep tabs on who can connect with the readonly access, so wouldn't be able to contact everyone and get them to change them all - it would be unfeasible.

How we are planning on using BtSynch is to advertise through a website the instructions how to access the files (which are free and non-copyright material that is wished to be as widely distributed as there are people who wish to access it) and I was figuring that we would publish the ReadOnly secret there, and then not administer who has access, as potentially it could grow to lots and lots and lots.

(So I was also concerned to read about the security issue earlier in this thread - but that one sailed straight over my head as I am not a techy network or security person - has this been/will be resolved?)

Hope this makes sense and that I can get some resolution out of this, I have held off updating the data because of this renaming issue.

cheers

Teresa in Australia.