Cheap BitTorrent Sync hosting?

gpjt

I've set up a server for myself as a central point for synchronisation. Most of the time, it's only a backup, but I have different machines that are on and off at different times, so it helps to have somewhere to sync to that's guaranteed always-on.

The problem is, hosting companies charge lots for disk space. Backupsy is the best I've found, at $10/mo for 250Gb, a bit less than half the cost of using Dropbox -- but it's still pricey.

Does anyone know of anything cheaper? Amazon S3 is about 1c/mo/Gb (plus bandwidth charges etc) so presumably there's room for people to drive the price down.

Backupsy seems like a really good deal. But it has a terrible bandwith to Central Europe (i.e. Hungary). I could only get 160 KB/s over HTTP which is still a little bit better than Dropbox but it's all the way on the east coast while backupsy is in Illinois.

For me one of the main reasons for changing to BTSync was the bandwith - I can get better speeds from my home server than any major cloud storage provider. Except Google, they have a server farm in my country, but GDrive is just terrible.

It's still a very good backup solution. But I'd prefer something in Europe.

• 1 year later...

For about $80 (excluding the hard drive and power supply) I built a small low power fanless NAS and set it up at my mother's house.  It only costs about $20 a year in electricity and has plenty of room for 3.5" hard drives.  No worries about someone snooping on my data.

Just another option to consider.

I've got a 2 TB mybooklive in my sister's house.  If you buy off ebay, you can get them new even for $80, used $60 though I hear some do break down (slower speed) after a little while but one at my house has been working for 3 years now.

I don't really notice speed since I don't care.  But I would think it'd be dependent on the upload speeds your internet service provider gives you unless it's super fast (don't quote me, I'm not an expert). 

Using your families computers is definitely the way to go. I am in China and my father is in the UK. he has a backup of all my photos by BTSync so he gets the benefit of seeing the family grow and I have an off line, out of the country safe backup whenever I need it. Bandwidth is not really a problem as it is a backup - his computer is on in the day and mine is on all the time, but by using dropbox as MY central point for photos (I have 50Gb free somehow) we get to share automatically all my photos taken from different phones tablets and camera. It doesn't really matter how long it takes to transfer the photos, but it is pretty quick - and we both have unmetered connections so no additional transfer costs. I am pretty sure this would work for a lot of people at pretty much zero cost.