Dozens of unknown temporary connections

On my desktop I only enabled LAN search and known hosts because it's behind a firewall and bridged through my home server which also runs BTSync. So there is no point for it to go and try to see the world. I want it to be a LAN only peer.

I sometimes notice that it opens dozens of UDP connections to random IPs then they're closed in a minute. Again, there is no DHT enabled, neither the tracker. And these connections resemble DHT. So what are they?

I see an always open multicast connection to 239.192.0.0, that ought to be the LAN sync. I don't think this gets past my router, but is it possible? And even if it is why would I get connections from around the world?

Can we get some insight to how it all works?

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

Can i disable it somehow? I have no use for it on this isolated computer and it could use PEX with the server if it has to and ofc LAN sync. I tried to create a firewall rule that only allows connections in my subnet for btsync.exe, but it doesn't even care about it. :)

BTW: On linux I only opened a port for the client itself, not for the webui, still i can access it, how is that?

• 1 month later...

Windows 8 PCs, all on 1.1.27. "Search LAN" is the only enabled option on all my folder shares.

I do see lot of traffic going to and coming from 239.192.0.0. BTSync is the process doing that traffic.

What is this? In fact it's the connection that shows the most network traffic out of my LAN.

TIA