Debian And Ubuntu Legacy Desktop Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Ladies and Gentlemen,

after a long time enjoy this new version featuring the upstream update of Mark Johnson's btsyncindicator....

btsync-user (1.15.0-1) unstable; urgency=low  * New upstream release 0.15 on btsyncindicator    - Fixed TypeError on Debian Wheezy (Closes #btsyncindicator/45)    - Added per folder activity feedback (Closes #btsyncindicator/47)    - Fixed 'Open in File Browser' for directories containing      spaces (Closes #btsyncindicator/48)  * Added support for btsync-common-changed trigger  -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Wed, 07 May 2014 15:48:45 +0100

• 3 weeks later...

WARNING: You will see, that there is an update of the package btsync-common (1.3.105) available that is held back. The reason is that is is NOT compatible with the current version of btsync-user.

Please see this post for further details.

As soon as Mark has released an update, a compatible version of btsync-user will follow.

IF YOU FORCE THE INSTALLATION WITH dist-upgrade BTSYNC-USER WILL NOT WORK ANY MORE!

And here it is:

btsync-user (1.16.0-1) unstable; urgency=low  * New upstream release 0.16 on btsyncindicator    - Made compatible with new Web UI of BitTorrent Sync      version 1.3.105 (Closes #btsyncindicator/50) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Mon, 02 Jun 2014 23:59:52 +0100

• 3 months later...

I'm having a problem on two Ubuntu 14.04 boxes after the latest btsync update:

hostname$ btsync start
hostname$ BitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 8506. default port = 8888
WARNING:root:Communication Error caught, displaying error message
WARNING:root:Communication Error caught, displaying error message

I also have an exclamation mark in the btsync icon and and error message: Communication Error 400.

Is this a known issue?

I also have an exclamation mark in the btsync icon and and error message: Communication Error 400.

Unfortunately the huge changes to the web UI made the indicator applet totally incompatible with BitTorrent Sync 1.4. The problem is tracked in Issue #52 of the btsyncindicator project on GitHub. We have to wait for marxjohnson to fix the problem before I can publish a new release of btsync-user.

This make take a while, since Mark was not very active in the last months. If you are impatient, you should give btsync-gui a try. You can find more information in this topic. The installation of btsync-gui automatically replaces btsync-user and migrates the configuration:

sudo apt-get install btsync-gui

UPDATE: In your duplicate posting in the wrong topic you wrote additionally:

I was able to fix it by removing btsync* and reinstalling it from the yeasoft PPA.

Can you please tell me, which version you were using, and which version you have now? You can find such information in the /var/log/dpkg.log files

Edited by tuxpoldo

Unfortunately the huge changes to the web UI made the indicator applet included in btsync-user totally incompatible with BitTorrent Sync 1.4. The problem is tracked in Issue #52 of the btsyncindicator project on GitHub. Unfortunately marxjohnson will not fix the problem, since he ceased using BitTorrent Sync, and this will very probably lead to the end of support of btsync-user:

As I'm not using btsync anymore (I've migrated to syncthing) I can't really investigate this, but if anyone wants to submit a Pull Request I'll happily review it and merge it in.

Fortunately there is an alternative:  you should give btsync-gui a try. You can find more information in this topic. The installation of btsync-gui automatically replaces btsync-user and migrates the configuration:

sudo apt-get install btsync-gui
I think, that I will announce the End of Support of btsync-user in the next few days.

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

Got a little issue on installation process.

On installation try I got this error message:

btsync (1.4.0-4) wird eingerichtet ...Warning : Bad SSL config, can't generate certificate.chmod: kann nicht auf der freihängenden symbolischen Verknüpfung „/etc/btsync/debconf-default.crt“ arbeitendpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von btsync (--configure): Unterprozess installiertes post-installation-Skript gab den Fehlerwert 1 zurückFehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von: btsyncE: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

The root cause is I changed my openssl configuration to support more then one CN previously. But it seems so that the post installation script will have some issue with this. Take a look to line 41-53: https://github.com/tuxpoldo/btsync-deb/blob/master/btsync/debian/btsync.postinst

Once I created the CRT manually anything works fine:

openssl req -newkey rsa:2048  -x509 -days 3652.5 -nodes -rand /dev/urandom -out /usr/share/btsync/debconf-default.crt -keyout /usr/share/btsync/debconf-default.keyCountry Name (2 letter code) [AU]:.State or Province Name (full name) [Some-State]:.Locality Name (eg, city) []:.Organization Name (eg, company) [Internet Widgits Pty Ltd]:BitTorrent SyncOrganizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:Administration InterfaceCommon Name (e.g. server FQDN or YOUR name) []:localhostCommon Name 1 []:Common Name 2 []:Common Name 3 []:Email Address []:root@localhost
Could be that this is really unique but I would recommend to change it a bit more flexible if possible.

Cheers

Got a little issue on installation process.

Hi there,

you are posting in the wrong thread. Since this issue may be of interest also for other people, I would kindly ask you to post the message again in Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync (the most easy way: click edit on your message, than switch to text mode in the editor - it's the first icon on the top left - select all, copy and paste it in the editor of the new thread).

Please add also the information which distribution you are exactly using.

• 4 weeks later...