Debian And Ubuntu Legacy Desktop Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Released new packages 1.1.70-4 with a few bugfixes and additions. All Debian builds are now online. As usual, Ubuntu builds will be probably available in a few hours.

Changelog:

btsync (1.1.70-4~sid) sid; urgency=low  - Fixed: added missing python dependencies for btsync-user  - Fixed: small cosmetic improvements in package texts  - Fixed: btsyncindicator Issue #2 - made location of bitmaps    debian conformant  - Added possibility to open the web ui directly from btsyncindicator    menu (Issue #3)  - Added menu entry "Enable Debug Logging" in btsyncindicator    menu (Issue #4) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Tue, 18 Sep 2013 11:20:44 +0200

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply on the server packages thread about configuring Apt on Raspbian! I'm also struggling with getting btsync-user to run on Ubuntu GNOME 13.10 Saucy Salamander 64-bit. It doesn't seem to autostart on login, and I'm not sure what command to use to restart the service. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply on the server packages thread about configuring Apt on Raspbian! I'm also struggling with getting btsync-user to run on Ubuntu GNOME 13.10 Saucy Salamander 64-bit. It doesn't seem to autostart on login, and I'm not sure what command to use to restart the service. Any suggestions?

Try /usr/lib/btsync-user/btsync-stopper then /usr/lib/btsync-user/btsync-starter 

I think that it would be helpful to explain, how autostart on logon is currently implemented in order to find out, why under certain circumstances btsync does not start.

The installer copies a btsync-agent.desktop file with the following contents in /etc/btsync-user/btsync-agent.desktop

[Desktop Entry]Name=BitTorrent Sync User AgentComment=BitTorrent Sync User AgentExec=/usr/lib/btsync-user/btsync-starterIcon=btsync-userTerminal=falseType=ApplicationNoDisplay=true

Since every desktop has its own autostart mechanism, the installation routine (that generally works by autostarting all .desktop files in a specific directory) searches for a suitable autostart directory and then creates a symbolic link to that file in the detected directory:

if [ -d /etc/xdg/autostart ]; then                ln -sf /etc/btsync-user/btsync-agent.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/btsync-agent.desktop        elif [ -d /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart ]; then                ln -sf /etc/btsync-user/btsync-agent.desktop /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart/btsync-agent.desktop        elif [ -d /usr/share/autostart ]; then                ln -sf /etc/btsync-user/btsync-agent.desktop /usr/share/autostart/btsync-agent.desktop        else                # fallback: no /etc/xdg/autostart - create one                mkdir /etc/xdg/autostart                ln -sf /etc/btsync-user/btsync-agent.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/btsync-agent.desktop        fi

If btsync does not start on your installation, I suppose that you are using a desktop where they have again defined a new method of autostarting applications (Why the **** they enjoy to change this at every release?!?! $#@!! )

I would be glad to improve this, but I definitively NEED YOUR HELP since I am not able to keep an in installation of every variant of debianoid operating system in order to test it. Please let me know, which method of autostart I should add in order to support your preferred desktop distribution, and I will implement it as soon as possible.. 

Released new packages 1.1.70-5 with a lot of bugfixes and additions. The most noticeable change will surely be the removed dependency from specific library versions that required a dedicated version for each distribution release making it unnecessarily hard to deploy on several platforms.

Starting from now, btsync is available on Debian squeeze, wheezy, jessie and sid for the platforms i386, amd64, armel and armhf

Since launchpad permits only to build i386 and amd64 packages, I'm seriously thinking about offering the packages for Ubuntu also from my personal repository. The clear advantage would be that armhf and armel builds would also be available for Ubuntu. Please let me know what you think about it.

All Debian builds are now online. As usual, Ubuntu builds will be probably available in a few hours.

Changelog:

btsync (1.1.70-5) unstable; urgency=low  - Updated btsyncindicator to version 0.9 in btsync-user  - Added "BitTorrent Sync" desktop icon in btsync-user (Issue #6)  - Fixed: 'Response' object has no attribute 'text' bug (Issue #2)  - Fixed: removed lintian warnings (Issue #1)  - Fixed: service startup/shutdown does not affect any more    installation/update/uninstallation (Issue #3)  - Fixed: the packages now install EXACTLY the same executable btsync    binary as distributed by BitTorrent Inc. - Previously the binary    was stripped by debhelper (dh_strip) (Issue #4)  - Fixed: both btsync and btsync-user will not specify and strict    library version dependency making it possible to install the same    package on different Debian/Ubuntu/XXXbian versions without the    need to create a specific package (Issue #5) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Sat, 30 Sep 2013 15:31:16 +0200

Released new packages 1.1.82-1 with some bugfixes and many additions. Beside of the upstream update to 1.1.82, this release adds the powerpc architecture both for btsync and btsync-user packages.

Furthermore there has been some substantial improvement to the desktop version (btsync-user). The included btsyncindicator now contains additional integration features (like pausing and resuming btsync) and some annoying bugs have been fixed. Additionally there is a new command line utility (named btsync) including manpage that permits to manage btsync. The full documentation of all available commands can be found in the manpage:

man btsync

Since Launchpad (the hosting and building platform for the Ubuntu PPAs) does not offer arm and powerpc builds to common mortals like me, I decided to offer an alternative repository for all Ubuntu users.

If you are using Ubuntu and need packages for armel, armhf or powerpc you can add the repository with the following commands:

sudo gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 6BF18B15sudo gpg --armor --export 6BF18B15 | sudo apt-key add -  sudo echo deb http://ubuntu.yeasoft.net/btsync $(lsb_release -cs) main >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.listsudo echo deb-src http://ubuntu.yeasoft.net/btsync $(lsb_release -cs) main >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.list sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install btsync-user

This repository is complete (it contains also the i386, amd64 and source builds). If you prefer, you can use this repository instead of the Launchpad Ubuntu PPA. The advantage for you, is that you get the packages faster (because when Launchpad is busy it takes several hours before the packages are published). The advantage for me, is that I get some download statistics...

All Debian builds are now online. As usual, Ubuntu builds will be probably available in a few hours (unless you switch to the alternative repositories).

Changelog:

btsync (1.1.82-1) unstable; urgency=low   * New upstream release 1.1.82 of btsync  * New upstream release 0.10 of btsyncindicator  - Fixed: missing dependency to python-appindicator in btsync-user    (Issue #7)  - Added possibility to suspend/pause the btsync-agent in    btsync-user (Issue #8)  - Added a unique managing command in btsync-user (Issue #9)  - Added man page for the managing command (/usr/bin/btsync)  - Released powerpc packages  -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Sat, 12 Oct 2013 01:46:51 +0200

Sorry: the manpage referred in the previous message will not be installed due to a bug in the packaging scripts (see issue #11).

Anyway you may get some help by typing in the shell:

btsync --help

You will get the following output:

leo@ubupoldo:~$ btsync --helpusage: btsync [-vq] <command> [param]Commands: start              start the btsync system stop               stop the btsync system restart            restarts the btsync system pause              suspends the btsync system stop               resumes the btsync system status             output the btsync statusOptions: -v, --verbose      increase verbosity -q, --quiet        say nothing - only return error codesThis script allows to manage the BitTorrent Sync Desktop application

Please do not use the /usr/lib/btsync-user/btsync-starter and /usr/lib/btsync-user/btsync-stopper command any more!

Released new packages 1.1.82-5 with a few bugfixes. All Debian builds are now online. As usual, Ubuntu builds will be probably available in a few hours.

Changelog:

btsync (1.1.82-2) unstable; urgency=low  - Fixed: Package fails to build on native arm builder (Issue #15)  - Fixed: missing config file prevented btsyncindicator to    start on fresh installations of btsync-user (Issue #14)  - Fixed: btsync --help does not show all available commands    in package btsync-user (Issue #13)  - Fixed: manpage btsync.7 was not installed in btsync-user (Issue #11) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Sun, 13 Oct 2013 17:32:26 +0200

It seems something got wrong with my syncdir.

The indicator keep on circling, indicating activity. If turn on debugging the sync seems to be going forever. I don't know how to exactly read the log (see an excerpt below).

I had the same problem in my laptop. There the solution was to delete the syncdir, and the bit-sync configuration and start over.

Should I do the same in all machines? Maybe something changed in the file formats?

best,

Paulo

[20131018 07:27:16.475] Merge: processing root message, remote hash DB93E3BF29E3E815DBBF98DC4EED097D6648A43B, timediff: 1
[20131018 07:27:16.475] Merge: sending get_have_pieces, prevhash: 7BE6D5022D1E44A8691DB101DD898F3F32BC648A
[20131018 07:27:16.564] Merge: processing have_pieces message
[20131018 07:27:16.564] State sync finished for folder /home/pjssilva/syncdir
[20131018 07:27:17.064] Sending broadcast ping for share 5CDD8537F50E14F43072C04E9C9F47663CB4BF85
[20131018 07:27:17.090] Got 2 relay ips
[20131018 07:27:17.090] ip 67.215.229.106:3000
[20131018 07:27:17.090] ip 67.215.231.242:3000
[20131018 07:27:17.240] Got 3 tracker ips
[20131018 07:27:17.240] ip 54.225.196.38:3000
[20131018 07:27:17.240] ip 54.225.100.8:3000
[20131018 07:27:17.240] ip 54.225.92.50:3000
[20131018 07:27:17.257] HTTP: IP 127.0.0.1: GET /gui/?action=getsyncfolders&token=ijDv5OOHYbLEyxJcDa9ot1Qu1-IiqAJuWru1MWmH2U4rn-L1k-9p754LYVIAAAAA
[20131018 07:27:18.257] Sending broadcast ping for share 5CDD8537F50E14F43072C04E9C9F47663CB4BF85
[20131018 07:27:18.258] Requesting peers from server
[20131018 07:27:18.416] Got list of 2 peers from 54.225.92.50:3000
[20131018 07:27:18.416] Peer 0: 143.106.XXX.XXX:54068 00CB0E2AB731D1A7F15B43C9F003B33BE133DBF2
[20131018 07:27:18.416] Peer 0: local IP 143.106.XXX.XXX:54068
[20131018 07:27:19.258] HTTP: IP 127.0.0.1: GET /gui/?action=getsyncfolders&token=ijDv5OOHYbLEyxJcDa9ot1Qu1-IiqAJuWru1MWmH2U4rn-L1k-9p754LYVIAAAAA
[20131018 07:27:19.258] Sending broadcast ping for share 5CDD8537F50E14F43072C04E9C9F47663CB4BF85
[20131018 07:27:20.259] Sending broadcast ping for share 5CDD8537F50E14F43072C04E9C9F47663CB4BF85
[20131018 07:27:20.259] Send ping to peer (00CB0E2AB731D1A7F15B43C9F003B33BE133DBF2) for share 5CDD8537F50E14F43072C04E9C9F47663CB4BF85:
[20131018 07:27:20.259] ping 143.106.XXX.XXX:54068 directly

It goes on and on...

Hello,

I tried  to start over my syncdirs and it looks  better now. But I am having problems with the indicator.

Basically it does not create the folders menu entries. It also tries to access the web interface every second, generating entries in sync.log. If I run it with DEBUG option I get many lines like this:

INFO:root:Requesting status
INFO:urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): 127.0.0.1
DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:"GET /gui/?action=getsyncfolders&token=fGgmj9WlmTs-e3pjIgKGJHzZKmASiK5ittKN5VmSdHZaq29r7R3lYDblYVIAAAAA HTTP/1.1" 200 355
INFO:root:Requesting status
INFO:urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): 127.0.0.1
DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:"GET /gui/?action=getsyncfolders&token=fGgmj9WlmTs-e3pjIgKGJHzZKmASiK5ittKN5VmSdHZaq29r7R3lYDblYVIAAAAA HTTP/1.1" 200 355

Is this normal?  Should  I open a bug report somewhere?

best,

Paulo

Obs: By looking at the code it seems like the indicator depends on the Language set for the web interface. So, avoidchanging it from English at least for now. Mine is in English now.

Basically it does not create the folders menu entries.

OK - do you have a custom configuration file and the web UI protected by username and password? Currently btswyncindicator does not support that the web UI is protected by credentials (See Issue #22), but Mark and me are working on it... Otherwise: please post an issue on Mark's project site.

It also tries to access the web interface every second, generating entries in sync.log. If I run it with DEBUG option I get many lines like this:

Is this normal?  Should  I open a bug report somewhere?

Obs: By looking at the code it seems like the indicator depends on the Language set for the web interface. So, avoidchanging it from English at least for now. Mine is in English now.

Are you really sure? Mark is accessing the web interface but by performing API calls and not getting the standard pages...

OK - do you have a custom configuration file and the web UI protected by username and password? Currently btswyncindicator does not support that the web UI is protected by credentials (See Issue #22), but Mark and me are working on it... Otherwise: please post an issue on Mark's project site.

OK, I'll move the discussion to Mark's site. Note that I have upgraded recently to Ubuntu 13.10, this may explain some errors. I am writing this message now in another computer that is running 13.04 and it works well.

Are you really sure? Mark is accessing the web interface but by performing API calls and not getting the standard pages...

Yes. To check this I added a line to the source code to print the information retrieved from the server (at line 249 of current source code). If I set bitsync web interface to English this is what I get (I ERASED the secrets):

{u'folders': [{u'peers': [{u'status': u'Synced on 10/19/13 09:08:30', u'direct': 1, u'name': u'quorra  -- pjssilva'}, {u'status': u'Synced on 10/19/13 09:07:55', u'direct': 1, u'name': u'trinity - pjssilva'}], u'name': u'/home/pjssilva/syncdir', u'iswritable': 1, u'secret': u'ERASED', u'readonlysecret': u'ERASED', u'size': u'112.0 MB in 168 files'}], u'speed': u'0.0 kB/s up, 0.0 kB/s down'}

Look at the status result, it starts with "Synced", a string that is used in the code. Now, If I change the interface to Portuguese (Brasil), it becomes:

{u'folders': [{u'peers': [{u'status': u'Sincronizado em 10/19/13 09:08:30', u'direct': 1, u'name': u'quorra  -- pjssilva'}, {u'status': u'Sincronizado em 10/19/13 09:07:55', u'direct': 1, u'name': u'trinity - pjssilva'}], u'name': u'/home/pjssilva/syncdir', u'iswritable': 1, u'secret': u'ERASED', u'readonlysecret': u'ERASED', u'size': u'112.0 MB em 168 arquivos '}], u'speed': u'0.0 kB/s upload, 0.0 kB/s download'}

Now, the status starts with "Sincronizado", which is synced in Portuguese. This was making the indicator behave badly until I switched it back to English. I'll add an issue about this in Mark's site too.

OK, I'll move the discussion to Mark's site. Note that I have upgraded recently to Ubuntu 13.10, this may explain some errors. I am writing this message now in another computer that is running 13.04 and it works well.

Great. The 13.10 Issue was already known. There is an open issue on this...

Now, the status starts with "Sincronizado", which is synced in Portuguese. This was making the indicator behave badly until I switched it back to English. I'll add an issue about this in Mark's site too.

This is really a problem. Mark's indicator is working with an API that has been reverse engineered by Mark. So this is surely not the final solution. We are all yearningly waiting for BT to release the API....

Errors:

echo deb http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync $wheezy main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.list
`which sudo` echo deb-src http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync $wheezy main >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.list
apt-get updateE: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.list (dist parse)E: The list of sources could not be read.

btsync.list:

deb http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync maindeb-src http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync sid maindeb-src http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync main

• 2 weeks later...

Released new packages 1.1.82.1-3 with a few bugfixes and a fundamental change in the structure of the packages (the official components from BitTorrent Inc have been moved into a separate package that will be installed automatically). Both Debian and Ubuntu builds are online on debian.yeasoft.net - The Ubuntu builds on Launchpad will be probably available in 8-10 hours :angry:. If you are Ubuntu User and prefer to switch to the debian.yeasoft.com repository, you should delete the file tuxpoldo-btsync-precise.list in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory and follow the instructions in the initial posting.

Changelog:

btsync (1.1.82.1-3) unstable; urgency=low  - The native upstream components from BitTorrent Inc. are no more    included. All packages are now dependant upon the external    package btsync-common which contains the btsync executables and    documentation (Closes #18 and #19)  - Fixed: The init script now tests on ARM systems if the btsync    executable is compatible with the alignment handling and adapts    it when needed (Closes #31 and #32)  - Fixed: frontend was not be stopped on update in btsync-user    (Closes #20)  - Fixed: handling of update and remove of btsync-user is now    working as expected (Closes #22)  - Fixed: made initial installation less sensible against    startup errors  - Added German translation to debconf templates (Closes #23)  - Added Italian translation to debconf templates contributed    by Leo Moll and Andrea Pennelli (Closes #24)  - Added French translation to debconf templates contributed    by Quentin Scouflaire (Closes #25)  - Added Russian translation to debconf templates contributed    by dimitriy5181 (Closes #27)  - Added Dutch translation to debconf templates contributed    by Andras Kiss (Closes #28)  - Added Hungarian translation to debconf templates contributed    by Andras Kiss (Closes #29)  - Added Czech translation to debconf templates contributed    by Marek Lukas (Closes #30)  - Added Greek translation to debconf templates contributed    by Thanos Papaoikonomou (Closes #33)  - Added Catalan translation to debconf templates contributed    by VCLL (Closes #34) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>   Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:57:49 +0100

Released new btsync-common 1.2.67 upstream package. All packages are online on debian.yeasoft.net and ubuntu.yeasoft.net - users served by the Launchpad PPA have as usual to wait a few hours for the packages being built....

btsync-common (1.2.67-1) unstable; urgency=low   * New upstream release  -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Tue, 05 Nov 2013 16:18:01 +0100 

Also with the desktop version upgrading is not fully 'automatic' . In this case i had to stop btsync and start it again before the new version was shown on webinterface.

This occurred on 2 seperate computers (both running linux mint)

This is correct. It is a consequence of the separation of the core from the application packages. I'm working on a solution...

Serious change in BitTorrent Sync's logging

Starting from version 1.2, BitTorrent Sync does not produce any log file output when installed with the server (btsync) and the desktop (btsync-user) packages for Debian or Ubuntu.

The developers have confirmed that there was a change in the way BitTorrent Sync handles log output. More information can be found here. We are currently discussing about possible solutions, so stay tuned.