Debian And Ubuntu Legacy Desktop Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Released new btsync-user desktop package 1.11.0-1 with a few bugfixes and another fundamental change in the structure of the packages that permit separate releases of the btsync server package and the btsync-user desktop package. Furthermore the versioning scheme has changed, since it is not dependent any more from the version number of the BitTorrent Sync core releases.

The btsync-user desktop package will start it's own versioning with version 1.11.0-1 and resemble the version of Mark's btsyncindicator applet included in the package.

Both Debian and Ubuntu builds are online on debian.yeasoft.net - The Ubuntu builds on Launchpad will be probably available in 2-4 hours :angry:. If you are Ubuntu User and prefer to switch to the debian.yeasoft.com repository, you should delete the file tuxpoldo-btsync-precise.list in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory and follow the instructions in the initial posting.

And here the change log:

btsync-user (1.11.0-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Separated source from server version (Closes #38)  * New upstream release 0.11 of btsyncindicator  * Added missing dependency from python-gtk2 (Closes #39)-- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:24:04 +0100

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that on faster computers the indicator gets loaded twice, once as a child of init and once as a child of btsync-starter.

It took me a while to work out what was wrong (I had wondered if it was an issue with KDE's session management, for example) but what seems to have solved it for me is to introduce an extra delay in the btsync-starter script.

In the definition of agent_runner(), I inserted a 'sleep 1' line just before 'start_frontend', and that seems to have done the trick.

I have found that on faster computers the indicator gets loaded twice, once as a child of init and once as a child of btsync-starter.

It took me a while to work out what was wrong (I had wondered if it was an issue with KDE's session management, for example) but what seems to have solved it for me is to introduce an extra delay in the btsync-starter script.

In the definition of agent_runner(), I inserted a 'sleep 1' line just before 'start_frontend', and that seems to have done the trick.

Thank you for the tip! It seems that the system behaves differently on different desktops. I will integrate your change into the next release. Referenced as Issue #50 (See https://github.com/tuxpoldo/btsync-deb/issues/50)

Alex, one question: are you using the latest version? There already was such a bug in the past and it was fixed by adding a double instance check in the indicator itself (See btsyncindicator Issue #25). Before modifying my startup script, I would be glad to know, if you are really using the latest version.

One solution to problem of config files paths may be to not to move anything. Just check if ~/btsync.conf or ~/.btsync does exists. If they does, then use the old paths; if doesnt, use ~/.config/

You can attach this information to the deb to let the people who wants their config in the new location to move it manually, and let people who doesn't care to let it as is.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One solution to problem of config files paths may be to not to move anything. Just check if ~/btsync.conf or ~/.btsync does exists. If they does, then use the old paths; if doesnt, use ~/.config/

You can attach this information to the deb to let the people who wants their config in the new location to move it manually, and let people who doesn't care to let it as is.

Good idea. I will implement this together with another suggestion documented in Issue #55

I can't get the repository to work with Debian Wheezy (stable), it gives me a 404 error when doing an apt-get update. What should i do?

Please check, if the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.list has the following content:

deb http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync wheezy maindeb-src http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync wheezy main

On some systems the command for creating the file does not produce the desired results.

After a long time, I'm pleased to announce also a new version of the package for desktop usage. This package features a consistently improved support for pause and resume including persistence of the paused state across reboots, a totally redesigned cleaner and more compliant structure of configuration files (all configuration files are now stored in ~/.config/btsync), some bugfixes and a brand new version of btsyncindicator.py featuring improved protocol handling and several bugfixes.

If you are running with a custom configuration file ~/btsync.conf it will be automagically moved into the new location (~/.config/btsync) and renamed to btsync-user.conf

Changelog:

btsync-user (1.13.0-1) unstable; urgency=low   * New upstream release 0.13 of btsyncindicator    - Improved pause and resume support    - Fixed lots of problems with authentication    - Fixed missing http error handling    - Fixed keyerror when creating menu for read-only folders    - Autologin support to the menu function "Open Web Interface"    when creating menu for read-only folders)  * Improved pause/resume support in btsyncindicator  * The paused state is now persistent over reboots (Closes #12)  * Reorganized the file structure in the home directory to make    things more compliant and clean. All configuration data is now    stored in ~/.config/btsync (Closes #55)  * Better check to avoid that the indicator starts twice    (Closes #50) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:29:24 +0100 

All builds on the YeaSoft Repository are already online. If you are using the launchpad repository, you have to wait a few hours, as ususal....

The latest upgrade of btsync-user on Wheezy seems to have broken the web UI on my machine. The app indiciator menu says "Couldn't connect to Bittorrent Sync at http://127.0.0.1:9999/gui", and my browser comes up with nothing when I attempt to access it as well. btsync seems to still be working fine behind the scenes, however. Any clues?

OK - on my Ubuntu test machine it works. So before I start setting up a Debian test machine, I would kindly ask you to post here the currently active configuration file (if it contains credentials, please do not forget to substitute them with placeholders) and to try to invoke the Web UI by entering the URL http://127.0.0.1:9999/gui manually in a freshly started browser. If you still get in the browser no output, I suppose that the problem is more related to the running instance of btsync instead of the indicator.

p.S.: The automatically created configuration file is ~/.config/btsync/btsync-auto.conf - if you override it by a manual created file, it should be ~/.config/btsync/btsync-user.conf

OK - on my Ubuntu test machine it works. So before I start setting up a Debian test machine, I would kindly ask you to post here the currently active configuration file (if it contains credentials, please do not forget to substitute them with placeholders) and to try to invoke the Web UI by entering the URL http://127.0.0.1:9999/gui manually in a freshly started browser. If you still get in the browser no output, I suppose that the problem is more related to the running instance of btsync instead of the indicator.

p.S.: The automatically created configuration file is ~/.config/btsync/btsync-auto.conf - if you override it by a manual created file, it should be ~/.config/btsync/btsync-user.conf

OK, even though I had restarted my machine since the upgrade, doing a manual 'btsync restart' fixed the issue, whatever it was. Sorry for the false alarm, and thanks very much for your response and for your work on this project.

All PCs are running Ubuntu 13.10 and the current tuxpoldo-desktop-package. After the last update the following issues occured.

** PC-01 **
On PC-01 the indicator does not start/ show, but the btsync daemon starts and works. The GUI is hosted on port 9999. The file '/etc/btsync-user/btsync-agent.desktop' is present.

** PC-02, PC-03 **
On PC-02 and PC-03 the indicator starts/ shows, but instead the btsync daemon does not start. If you invoke a 'btsync stop' and afterwards 'btsync start', the indicator and daemon are staring as supposed. In some cases you have to delete '.btsync/indicator.lock' first. The GUI here is hosted on port 10000. The file '/etc/btsync-user/btsync-agent.desktop' is missing on both systems. Recreating the file does not seem to have any impact.

How can I fix the issue regarding the daemon on PC-02 and PC-03? Why does the same package behave differently on the same Ubuntu version?

What is the default username and password for btsync's management application?

With the current version of btsync-user, the management interface is not secured with any credentials unless you use a manual config file override (~/.config/btsync/btsync-user.conf) in which you can define credentials.

I am running this on Kubuntu and I noticed it automatically starts when I log in, I don't want this. Where is this configured?

Currently the package installer tries to create the following files in order to make sure, btsync is autostarted:

1. /etc/xdg/autostart/btsync-agent.desktop
  2. /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart/btsync-agent.desktop
  3. /usr/share/autostart/btsync-agent.desktop
  4. /etc/xdg/autostart/btsync-agent.desktop

All those files are only symbolic links to the same file. You should try to delete them all but keep in mind, that on the next update they will be recreated. In any case I will take your wish as a feature request and I will implement a possibility for any user to not autostart it. See Issue #58

All PCs are running Ubuntu 13.10 and the current tuxpoldo-desktop-package. After the last update the following issues occured.

** PC-01 **

On PC-01 the indicator does not start/ show, but the btsync daemon starts and works. The GUI is hosted on port 9999. The file '/etc/btsync-user/btsync-agent.desktop' is present.

Please check that all config files are in place (look for ~/.config/btsync/btsync-agent.conf). Please try to start btsync on the command line with

btsync restart

** PC-02, PC-03 **

On PC-02 and PC-03 the indicator starts/ shows, but instead the btsync daemon does not start. If you invoke a 'btsync stop' and afterwards 'btsync start', the indicator and daemon are staring as supposed. In some cases you have to delete '.btsync/indicator.lock' first. The GUI here is hosted on port 10000. The file '/etc/btsync-user/btsync-agent.desktop' is missing on both systems. Recreating the file does not seem to have any impact.

How can I fix the issue regarding the daemon on PC-02 and PC-03? Why does the same package behave differently on the same Ubuntu version?

First of all some words about the port number: in order to allow multiple users to have their own instances of btsync running on the same machine at the same time, every daemon is configured to use different ports. By default (if you have not defined any user defined config file), the port number for the web ui is computed with the formula

8999 + uid

that leads generally to 9999 for the first user, 10000 for the second user, etc. I have no idea, why the startup of BitTorrent Sync and the indicator have problems on your machines. Please try manual restarts with the command line utility in order to see, if there are some meaningful error messages.

Moved from wrong discussion thread...

hi tuxpoldo

the latest update have broken btsync on linux mint petra
i have deleted all the old config file but the software is frozen, is necessary to close and restart

if i don't close it after the login, btsync don't work and nemo crash

Are you sure, you are writing about the server version? I do not really understand, what is happening on your machine. Which old config file? No config file is updated during the update process of the software...

no, i have installed btsync-user (and btsync-common) on 2 machines and several os like mint 16, ubuntu 13.10 and crunchbang i use bittorrent sync since this summer and never had problem since the end of january, but i am not sure that the problem affects ubuntu and crunchbang too because i don't have used this oses in the latest 2/3 weeks i use this ppa ppa:tuxpoldo/btsync on mint/ubuntu and this deb http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync on crunchbang
i don't remember what are the old config file, i have deleted all the btsync file and folder and reconfigured the folder to share but none have changed

OK. In the last release, there has been lots of changes and maybe some of those may be the cause of the problem. Since both me and Mark (the author of btsyncindicator.py) have no installation of linux mint and linux crouchbang, we have no way to test it on our systems. As a first step in understanding what's happening, I would suggest to try the following:

Open a terminal, and execute the following command:

btsync restart

Afterwards post here the full ooutput that you see on the console and also the contents of the files ~/.config/btsync/btsync-agent.conf and (if present) ~/.config/btsync/btsync-user.conf

$ btsync restart $ BitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 3482 in ~/.config/btsync/ i have only btsync.pid and btsync-auto.conf

Can you please post the contents of btsync-auto.conf ?

respected tuxpoldo

whether it is possible to do something with the Russian language in the indicator.

Here's a screenshot 0ip0.jpg

Sigh.... We know. This is really ugly. Mark and me are really aware of this problem. It's documented in Issue #59Issue #24 and Issue #32. The cause for this and some more problems is that btsyncindicator.py communicates with the background BitTorrent Sync agent by calling the web UI and parsing the results instead of using the BitTorrent Sync API. The reason for that was, that btsyncindicator.py was developed before the official release of the API. Currently there is still one blocking issue for Mark to use the API due to some unclear statements in the Terms of Use of the API. We are discussing about this issues with BitTorrent Inc. but we still have no final answer, so we have to wait for these issues being solved, before creating an improved version.

//!/usr/lib/btsync-user/btsync-agent --config

//

// configuration for the btsync agent running in the

// user environment

{

"device_name" : "uDesk - pit",

"pid_file" : "/home/pit/.config/btsync/btsync.pid",

"storage_path" : "/home/pit/.btsync",

"listening_port" : 0,

"check_for_updates" : false,

"use_upnp" : true,

"download_limit" : 0,

"upload_limit" : 0,

"webui" :

{

"listen" : "127.0.0.1:9999"

}

}

//!/usr/lib/btsync-user/btsync-agent --config

//

// configuration for the btsync agent running in the

// user environment

{

"device_name" : "uDesk - pit",

"pid_file" : "/home/pit/.config/btsync/btsync.pid",

"storage_path" : "/home/pit/.btsync",

"listening_port" : 0,

"check_for_updates" : false,

"use_upnp" : true,

"download_limit" : 0,

"upload_limit" : 0,

"webui" :

{

"listen" : "127.0.0.1:9999"

}

}

The config file is fine. As I can see, it was generated correctly. Can you please describe again, what's exactly the problem on your machine? 

today btsync restart gave me a different message

BitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 9928

/usr/lib/btsync-user/btsyncindicator.py:137: Warning: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.38.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2475: signal 'child-added' is invalid for instance '0x93e10b8' of type 'GtkMenu'

self.ind.set_menu(self.menu)

i have problem when the icon of btsync have a sort of number 1 inside, in this case if i don't restart or kill it, after few minutes nemo crash

this don't appen all the time

in the past days, when i executed btsync restart i had a message of indicator locked or something like that

Hi tuxpoldo

After booting and logging into a standard user account, the indicator starts, but not the daemon. After logging auto and back into another user account, neigther the indicator nor the daemon starts. Opening a terminal and executing 'btsync start' leads to "WARNING:root:Connection Error caught, displaying error message". Then there is the indicator present, but the daemon is not running. If you execute 'btsync restart' afterwards, the indicator and the daemon start fine with "BitTorrent Sync forked to background.".

Reinstallation of the package did not have any effect. How to debug this issue further?

today btsync restart gave me a different message BitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 9928 /usr/lib/btsync-user/btsyncindicator.py:137: Warning: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.38.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2475: signal 'child-added' is invalid for instance '0x93e10b8' of type 'GtkMenu' self.ind.set_menu(self.menu) i have problem when the icon of btsync have a sort of number 1 inside, in this case if i don't restart or kill it, after few minutes nemo crash this don't appen all the time in the past days, when i executed btsync restart i had a message of indicator locked or something like that

This seems really to be a problem related to the environment of your OS. I think that the next step should be to post an issue on the project page of btsyncindicator.py.

UPDATE: The warning seems not to have any side effect on Debian Wheezy. In any case I posted Issue #41 - The problem is still unclear: the "sort of number 1 inside" (in fact it's an exclamation point) means that there is no connection to the btsync agent (or it is paused from the indicator menu that is basically the same). The reason why nemo crashes, is not really clear.

After booting and logging into a standard user account, the indicator starts, but not the daemon. After logging auto and back into another user account, neigther the indicator nor the daemon starts. Opening a terminal and executing 'btsync start' leads to "WARNING:root:Connection Error caught, displaying error message". Then there is the indicator present, but the daemon is not running. If you execute 'btsync restart' afterwards, the indicator and the daemon start fine with "BitTorrent Sync forked to background.".

Which distribution are you using?

Edited by tuxpoldo