czerwinski1977

No immediate sync on Linux machine

Hi there,

first, a big THANK YOU to the developers of this awesome piece of software. I have been playing around with several programs in order to sync my photo collection (~ 5000 pics and counting) between two linux desktops, but only Bittorrent Sync worked for me without major dato loss and/or duplication, conflicts, etc.!

The FAQ says that sync is started immediately after a file had been modified or created, except for MacOS 10.6 which has a 10 min delay. However, it seems as if this were also the case on my Linux machines (Ubuntu 12.04).

I created a directory and added 3 files, nothing happened. After approx. 10 minutes, sync started and all went fine. The log file (which I can provide on request) tells me that the modifications were found during a periodic scan and the respective torrents were created.

I miss the immediate triggering of the synchronization.

Can anybody clear this for me a little?

Thanks!

Reinhard.

The client checks for changes every 10 minutes and propagates them if any. This cannot be configured yet.

There is "immediate" triggering but sometimes it misses. I don't know how it hooks onto the file system but I never had a problem with it - not even if I edit/add files via a Samba share.

The linux binary uses "inotify" to trigger for file changes you get messages like this in the log:

[20130416 07:48:46] [OnNotifyFileChange] /home/btsync/zero/testfile.bin

It then waits maybe 15 seconds to see if there are any other changes to the same file. Once it's been quiet for a while it starts the sync on the file.

I haven't checked but I understand this is turned off in the glibc2.3 version.

I'm using "Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-40-generic i686)" on one of my machines and "it works for me".

Old thread but I found it because I have a large delay, version 134. I don't see any notify messages in the sync.log (that's the log it would be in?) and it's around 10 mins for sure.

Any way to fix this?

I wasn't seeing the notify messages in the log either. I'd recommend turning on debug logging (make a file called debug.txt in the .sync folder where your log is, and add the text FFFF to that file).

Also, you could try updating to the pre-release 1.1.15.