My folder had 90% of its contents deleted: Bug, or something I did wrong?

battrd

A couple days ago I awoke one of my computers from a week-long slumber (it had been turned off while I was moving). While the computer was sleeping, I had been editing the contents of the Sync'd folder on other computers (i.e., creating files, saving changes to files, etc.). When my computer awoke, about 90% of the folder contents (subfolders, files, etc.) were deleted on all 4 of the computers to which the folder was Sync'd.

I had all of my stuff backed up in multiple locations, plus BitTorrent Sync keeps deleted files in the .SyncTrash folder. So all of my stuff was recovered.

What gives? Why didn't the newly-awoken computer simply have the new files added to it? I've been using Syncing programs for years now (from LiveSync to LiveMesh to DropBox to Cubby, now BTS), and I've never had this problem before. I did not delete these folders myself, not even on 1 of the computers.

Is this a known Bug, or is there a weird setting I need to adjust?

I had a similar issue. (version 1.0.134 on both pc's)

I synced a complete data hard-disk (approx. 3 Gb) from Computer A (WinXP 32bit) to Computer B (WinXP 32bit) which had none of the files/folders present.

All files were synced from A to B during the night. After that one of the sub-folders (and none of the other (sub)folders)) suddenly was removed on computer A (and B )

This removed sub-folder ended up in the .synctrash folder on Computer A, but also in the .synctrash folder on Computer B, as if both computers got the delete command from the other computer and therefore transferred the files to the .synctrash folder.

Furthermore after moving the files in .synctrash folder on computer A back to their original place, they got deleted again after a few minutes and were back in the .synctrash folder. Because this was a test with some important data files being backuped from A to B, I removed BitTorrent Sync from computer A after that.

I have had a similar experience with an older version of BitTorrent Sync while syncing a large folder containing pictures from a computer with Win8 64bit tot WinXp 32 bit. Here also one of the subfolders was deleted en found in the .syntrash folder of the sending computer(Win8 64 bit). In this case both the computers both already had all the files on their hard drives. It just needed indexing.

It seams like a bug while syncing folders with a large amount of files

I have similar issues too.

my itunes folders are getting deleted on computer A after computer B - laptop wakes up after a week of sleep.

I will submit my logs

My suggestion is that BItTorrent Team should add a version minimum syncing..

For example since computer A is always on so it gets updated and work on frequently. In future version we can select to force all syncing computers must have same version as before allowing it to be sync?

Because of the important data files that were involved, I will not try to reproduce the problem again on those machines, but when I have the time I will try to do a large new sync with logging on with other machines and see if the problem reoccurs.

The problem I described with my picture folders, have not occurred again, probably because there are no large (in files quantity) sync/index batches again.

Maybe CardinS2U can reproduce his/her problem quicker with logging on.