Renaming a folder to the same name with different case causes file loss

Version 1.0.134

Renaming a folder from 'TEst' to 'Test' for example will cause the files to be deleted on both ends of a sync.

In my case the source was Mac. Depending on what is on the other end - including a Windows RO share the empty folder may or may not remain.

I found out the hard way that iTunes (Mac at least) can rename folders while playing songs if the tags in a given album don't exactly match in their case. I was syncing my music to a RO share so I thought my library would be safe. Instead I had multiple Albums deleted. - I only noticed because I regularly check the Sync history. - ITunes simply followed the files as they moved to .SyncTrash and continued to play them so it was not obvious something happened.

You have been warned.

• 2 weeks later...

Your issue is not solved. There is conceptual problem and we hadn't find any easy solution to it. Problem is that on Windows and Mac TEst and Test are exactly the same name. Naturally it seems that you just need to have a single file irrespective of the case. However if you will throw Linux into the game, TEst and Test are to different names.

We will fix this issue, but still looking for a right solution from internal architecture and p2p concept.

Don't forget some filesystems on Linux are case insensitive ... sometimes. eg: vFAT can be either depending on the mount options.

What's more even windows can be case sensitive under the right conditions; NTFS is actually a case sensitive filesystem, but the Win32(Win64) environment usually enforces case insensitivity.

But, it's simple enough in concept; it's just a conflict, as if two different machines had created the two files with the same name at the same time. So the "normal conflict resolution process" should be triggered.

My preference is that one of the files gets renamed for any true conflict.