btsync inhibits disk hibernation / Interaction with .SyncID-File

MaZder

1.4.75 still prevents hibernate because it still writes sync.dat every 10 minutes as outlined above.

More precisely, every 10 minutes

it creates a new file sync.dat.new

removes sync.dat.old

renames sync.dat to sync.dat.old

renames sync.dat.new to sync.dat

As the minimum threshold on the synology is 10 minutes idle before the disks hibernate, this disk access to sync.dat (etc.) every 10 minutes prevents hibernation.

Neither changing the config_refresh_interval value nor the folder_rescan_interval changes the frequency btsync writes to sync.dat

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for an update. Just wanted to confirm the issue with hibernation on Synology DS213j as well. Similar observations to colleagues posting earlier. Rescan manipulation does not improve situation.

BTSync 1.4.83-8

DSM 5.0-4493 update 5

Looking forward to correction. 

KInd regards,

Igor

• 4 weeks later...

@Dimitri

The 1.4.99 build should contain the fix preventing NAS from sleeping. Are you sure that other devices in mesh do not require some data? Any change on them will cause wake up / non sleeping.

If yes - could you please send me your settings.dat file? it does not contain your keys so is pretty safe to send.

• 3 weeks later...

@klues

I see that you've mailed to our support - please follow instructions in order to resolve issue.

I've shutoff BTSync on all machines that use BTSync to sync files to my Synology 214Play and the Syno never sleeps with BTSync running on the Syno.

I held off using 1.3.xxx because the report was that 1.4 fixed the issue.  That doesn't appear to be the case, is there a resolution to this type of issue?

Steve

Hello

I have BitTorrent Sync version 1.4.103 on my Synology DS214play.

As far as I know there is no such thing as only disk hibernation on this model. It only hibernate when the NAS system have nothing to do. (even simple call of the web frontend wakes NAS).

So I have trouble getting my NAS to hibernation, when sync App runs. First I thought the folder_rescan_interval is causing a steady load on the nas, although I set the value to 12h... 

But after some tests I discoverd that the "Request for peers from tracker" is causing the constant load, every 5 minutes it's in the log. (And no sign of rescanning folder by the way, so this should not be the problem). The Request only take place when a folder is shared. If ne Folder is set in SyncApp, the NAS go to hibernation as expected.

So is there a way to manipulate the interval a shared folder is scanning for trackers? I don't want to disable the tracker function, since in my understanding this option enables sharing over the internet, which is what i want. 

@immenz

There is no way to control Sync tracker communications interval. While we are working to make Sync more gentle with HDD operations for NAS platforms, the optimization we are doing is not targeted to tracker communications.

I can only advise to schedule sync startup / shutdown with cron if file delivery latency is not important for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

Please try to set the "folder_restan_interval" and "config_refresh_interval" to some bigger value (both are in seconds) and see if it helps.

Hi Roman,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I changed the rescan value by a factor of 10 to 36000 and it made no difference. Stays awake all the time. Interesting though that the config_refresh parameter wasn't existent. I tried adding after the first adjustment and it still didn't make any difference at the same value of 36000.

I hope this doesn't come off as entitled or snarky, it's not meant to be. But, I'm curious why is this always stated to be fixed in each release but it's not? Are you guys not able to replicate this issue? Seems like it's been going on for a long time for anyone that has a synology. If you need a beta tester or if there are instructions on how to become a beta tester for subsequent builds I'd sign up for it.

Steve

- Steve

• 4 weeks later...

@RomanZ tried your settings.dat with 1.4.106, hybernate still does not work. Temporary solution I have for me now - cronjob to start btsync at night for 1h to sync files, and after 1 h stop btsync service. Can you clarify with devteam by when they plan to fix it? If you need any help from me - just tell.

• 2 months later...

@Steve

Glad to hear! You also might want to create "debug.txt" in storage folder and put "00000000" there to prevent Sync from writing logs, which also might wake up your NAS HDD.

Thanks Roman, I did notice that it was waking up quite a bit.

I'll give it a try.

Steve

@Steve

Glad to hear! You also might want to create "debug.txt" in storage folder and put "00000000" there to prevent Sync from writing logs, which also might wake up your NAS HDD.

Is there anything else that might make the NAS HDD wake up?  I'm noticing that the NAS stays awake for 10's of minutes and then goes to sleep for ~ a minute then repeats. I put the debug.txt file in the usr/bittorentsync/var folder with the 00000000, stopped and restarted btsync but it hasn't changed the sleep/wake situation.

Steve,

Note that it may happen due to fact that other instances of Sync request for some data (or provide a new data to your Sync). If you are confident they do not transfer data and all the measures on preventing wake up are applied - I'll help you in debugging your case.

Thanks Roman, I think this is related to a TimeMachine backup or Cloud Station that is running.  When the Laptop that the time machine backup is attached to is sleeping the Syno seems to behave exactly as I would expect so I'm fairly confident that the BTSync is doing what it should. I should have done more checking before posting, sorry about that..  Thanks for the link.

• 10 months later...

Hello everyone.

I am a Synology NAS user. I've started to use BTSync just recently. I like the solution very much, but I have encountered "the hibernation issue".

As I can see your posts are quite old and BTSync still prevents the HDD to hibernate without extra configuration changes. That is sad it cannot be easily used "out of the box".

I am now at version 2.2.5 (131). Has anything been changed regarding the "Tracker requesting peers" every 5 minutes? Because I can see it still occurs and there is no option to change that value.